Windscreen sealant!

MECCANO

Guys

Had a OOps! with a length of 4x4" fence post and the passenger windscreen on the LWT. Now i have the delight of replacing the screen!

Can any one recommend a sealant to use, preferable something i can pick up theis weekend, or should i just pick up some waterproof silicon for the local DIY place (Always seem to work on the side windows)and save soem penny's?

Cheers in advance

Chris

Sika is not a pain to clean. It washes off with turps. A trick is to use a small square of stiff cardboard to clean the edges. Once they are set, don't mess with them again. Use the Black Sika adhesive sealant. Unlike dumdum, it does not dry or split.

This is the one you want, and you can get it in small tubes too. http://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/006a239b-1e1a-3eab-a634-6c9b773cacf4/&ei=CzmyUZGCOsWdkwWfu4HwBw&usg=AFQjCNEM3tE6LbYMTsLgDtzlFW7cc1V90Q&sig2=NtlAmXE9atPCiEJZuW9thw&bvm=bv.47534661,d.dGI

Snagged - heated screens from Ricky Evans, timers and switches sourced via different suppliers. I have drivers and passengers on separate switches/timers for convenience. Screens were about £170 inc VAT and the other bits were about another £30.

I took it slowly and had a spare screen to install on and took me about a day to do, all in.

Am sure it can be done cheaper and probably quicker but as was doing it myself, I wanted to do it correctly to me specification.

Not used in earnest but mate has it and works a treat, so bring on the snow and the frosts!

Bah, you're just showing off now, Larna! ;) Where, when and how much? I'd like to fit a pair of heated screens to mine before winter!

Over on the Series 2 club forum they did a group buy, but not sure who they got them from. Maybe a few club/forum users on here?

Be careful of using Sikaflex/Tiger-seal - these are really industrial-strength bonds more appropriate to monocoque cars where (unlike on Land-Rovers) the windscreen is designed as a structural component of the bodyshell.

They grip/bond really well and can make life a spectacular pain if you ever subsequently need to replace the windscreen.

Be careful of using Sikaflex/Tiger-seal - these are really industrial-strength bonds more appropriate to monocoque cars where (unlike on Land-Rovers) the windscreen is designed as a structural component of the bodyshell.

They grip/bond really well and can make life a spectacular pain if you ever subsequently need to replace the windscreen.

Also, unless you have a decent amount of stuff between the glass and the screen, the flex in the body and screen can cause the glass to break on the high points on the screen mating surface, ie where the welds weren't smoothed back before the frame was galvanised.

I used DumDum the second time, it was thick enough to hold the glass away from the frame to allow flex. Can't get DumDum anymore, so I'd be looking at Nicks neoprene seals as an alternative, with gutter sealant at the joins.

G.