what's the best/most useful mechanical invention ever?

02GF74

the ball bearing

it apppears in just about every major mechanical invention somewhere, and almost all machinery rely on them. We would have no transport, no communications, no weapons, no major buildings, no infrastructure, in fact almost nothing past mud huts without ball bearings.

It's wasn't for no reason that the allies spend so much energy, resources and time in the second world war trying to bomb all the German ball bearing factories!

I am fairly certain that early steam locomotives didn't use ball or roller bearings. Many cars and trucks up to around the mid 1920's didn't use them either. Few internal combustion engines even today use them except for accessories like alternators and water pumps, but even then they are not 100% necessary.

My vote would go to the electric welder.

Bill.

Following my big brothers statment

Sky Plus

I don't care that it has no moving parts the bloke that came up with that idea wants a medle.....

I can work on my car and watch what telly I like later and not worry if I forget because it will record weeks in advance

are they really that indespensible? can not all the components run on plain bush bearing, ok, may need to be bigger or on roller bearings (ok, that is a bit of a cheat) B)

I suppose another invention one is lubrication :ph34r:

BTW the wheel is not an invention but a discovery

perhaps i should have qualified that and said bearings of any kind.

but yes they are totally indispensible- there is nothing today made that has been made without the requirement of ball bearings.

Simple tools and simple objects can be made without bearings but anything with any technicality will use bearings- the egyptians had to invent them over three thousand years ago for christsakes and the romans could make them from wood, stone and metal

Bill- cars are festooned in bearings- engines esecially have bearings- that's what both the little and big ends are- just big bearings- without them the engine doesn't run- what about the main bearings. these are plain rotary bearings. Even ball joints have bearings in them, and as for gearboxes and axles you don't have enough digits to count them.

Early steam engines of all sorts used bearings- whether they were traction or stationary engines

In fact my parents own an old watermill that has a waterwheel which predates steam by quite some time- on renovating the wheel we found that the bearings needed replacing- they had done pretty well as they were dated on the underside of 1887!!!!!!!!!!!1

i'm still with bearings then!

[quote name='pugwash' date='Sep 30 2006, 06:28 AM' post='8

Bill- cars are festooned in bearings- engines esecially have bearings- that's what both the little and big ends are- just big bearings- without them the engine doesn't run- what about the main bearings. these are plain rotary bearings. Even ball joints have bearings in them, and as for gearboxes and axles you don't have enough digits to count them.

Early steam engines of all sorts used bearings- whether they were traction or stationary engines

In fact my parents own an old watermill that has a waterwheel which predates steam by quite some time- on renovating the wheel we found that the bearings needed replacing- they had done pretty well as they were dated on the underside of 1887!!!!!!!!!!!1

i'm still with bearings then!

Pug, At the risk of appearing pedantic, I will remind you that your earlier post stated specifically

'' Ball Bearings'' not plain bushings, as used internally in engines, for wheel bearings on early cars/ trucks, locomotives etc. I was being tolerant and allowed that you may have also meant roller bearings of any design .

Bill.

The Faraday disc

"A type of homopolar generator, using a copper disc rotating between the poles of a horseshoe magnet. It produced a small DC voltage, and large amounts of current."

This was further developed into a Dynamo a brilliant invention, as without it we would not be able to make

electricity which is one of the four fundamental powers of our planet.

And without it would we have machines to make Ball bearings?

:)

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

on second thinking, could be the diesel lump as it is not scared of a bit of water :lol::lol::lol:

The Faraday disc

"A type of homopolar generator, using a copper disc rotating between the poles of a horseshoe magnet. It produced a small DC voltage, and large amounts of current."

This was further developed into a Dynamo a brilliant invention, as without it we would not be able to make

electricity which is one of the four fundamental powers of our planet.

And without it would we have machines to make Ball bearings?

:)

Chickens and eggs ... how many generators are there without ball bearings ;)