Bespoke strops

white90

Tony

Ali told me about some company that makes strops which are part of the winch line say the last 3-4m and have a hook on the end would these be of any intrest PM Ali

basicly a tree strop fixed to the end of your winch line. it looked better than my description..

I'm wondering if that's what Tony is intending doing. All you need is a stop with a hook on the end, like Tony is after, and then splice the other end of the strop on the end of the winch rope rather than a hook.

I have considered a setup like this, but not sure I want the strop parmanently attached to the winch line. It's easy enough to leave the strop hooked in the end of the winch line and then hook the other end in too once it's wrapped round a tree or whatever.

Tony

Ali told me about some company that makes strops which are part of the winch line say the last 3-4m and have a hook on the end would these be of any intrest PM Ali

basicly a tree strop fixed to the end of your winch line. it looked better than my description..

Ah the grapevine strikes again :)

That was my idea

OEC got them made for me - have a chat with Luvvers

i dont know why, but for some reason i thought d4x4 already supplied them? maybe not........

Ali sent me a link months ago about it but can't remember who, they wern''t uk based but I likes the kit.

Andy and Ali find all sorts of stuff from all over

Andy, yes your idea is good BUT the strop has to be removable otherwise you automatically can't use the last 3 metres of cable. Not good if you have to pull right up to an anchor point.

IIRC Ray Havey sells strops with a masterlink at one end and a hook at the other.

I saw in one of the mags that there is a company - it's called something like "Lifting & Fastening"? - that is selling what I can only call strop winch rope... It's narrow strop material that spools onto the drum. It struck me as rather clever but I would imagine that you can't get much yardage on the drum.

Anyone know of/have experience of it ?

I saw in one of the mags that there is a company - it's called something like "Lifting & Fastening"? - that is selling what I can only call strop winch rope... It's narrow strop material that spools onto the drum. It struck me as rather clever but I would imagine that you can't get much yardage on the drum.

Don't waste your money, I did, sounded good and a lot cheaper than plasma, but try anything other than a straight pull and it bunchs up a b**ch locks and over runs, I've got 40 metres sitting in my garage doing nothing at the moment(any ideas for a use).

Honest don't bother.

Lifting and Crane Services perhaps? I don't know if they sell it or not but the name is similar :) Website here can't see any on the website but then it is a bit of a rubbish one so may just not be on there.

It sounded appealing till I learned that if you bust it in the middle of nowhere you can't splice it like Dyneema/Plasma ropes which is one of the appealing things about dyneema to me apart from the ease of handling.

OK for an extension rope perhaps.

Edited to say I did a search and previous discussions on Winch Web are here and here :)