Shattered rear door glass

Hi there,

I have had an uncomfortable experience a few days ago, driving back home through the heat of the South European sun: Out of the blue, in town, driving slowly, we hear a "bunk" and then I saw the rear door glass totally shattered!

In principle, nothing explains it. I doubt a stone has hit the back door, I don't imagine anyone throwing a stone at us, the terrain was smooth.

One possible reason, the clash of temperature: we had been driving all day under a temperature of 35-40°c, with A/C inside (if not then, when?). Could it be the glass did not like it?

Anyone experienced the same situation?

Here the pic: post-4018-0-52637600-1375946212_thumb.jpeg Good I had duct tape and I found some large format sticker for the way home...post-4018-0-68366200-1375946281_thumb.jpeg

Pete that looks like a TD5 Type or later improved door (going by the seal and the high level light) so personally dont think it could be that. I cant see the AC making that much difference, and if so why suddenly then?

i am baffled to be honest

Pete that looks like a TD5 Type or later improved door (going by the seal and the high level light) so personally dont think it could be that. I cant see the AC making that much difference, and if so why suddenly then?

i am baffled to be honest

It's a 2007' 110SW. I was drivig on a smooth road, so I can't imagine the frame pushing one way or the other. I'm baffled too! :)

So, should I conclude this isn't very common?

We have a 2 year old 110 at work that this happened to. It radomly shattered when we were stood next to it. The vehicle had been parked up for 20 minutes and no one had touched the door. Have had a few others in the past do this also but we always put that down to stone chips or something hitting it inside the vehicle.

• Like 2

Happened to mine. Overnight in spring. Wasn't a particularly hot day or cold night. Parked in a cul de sac, no traffic, thought it may have been the kids with a fooball but it happened very late night or early morning so unlickely and there was no focal point to the shattering.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had very simular on an LDV van, travelling on a motorway suddenly the rear door glass shattered. No one around, no reason for it. I could only assume a stone or something flicked up by the wheel deflected off something and back into the rear door glass?

• Like 1

hi, have a look at the connections for the heated rear window, where the wire joins the glass... i had a car rear window bang once and ten minutes before i had knocked the connector off, being in a rush i only just put it back on not quite enough and well it smashed all i could put it down too.

but... i dont suppose you would have been using the heater :blink: given the conditions unless you knocked the switch?

just a idea..

• 5 months later...

Just had the same on a 2010 Utility Wagon rear door window. A short drive then parked up at home - window OK. Returned to the vehicle 10mins later and totally shattered although still in place. Definitely no giggling kids with a catapult around, no extremes of temperature and no use of HRW.

If I'm not mistaken, that window is actually bonded, not held in by the seal. Glass and steel have different thermal expansion rates, so every change in temperature away from that at which the window was bonded in place will set up stresses in the glass, and eventually the cycles become too much and it'll shatter. It looks like a design flaw - the older type didn't do this because the window was clamped in place by sealant and aluminium strips which allowed enough movement to avert the stresses. I suspect the reason it doesn't happen to bonded windscreens is due to their thickness and the fact that the windscreens are curved.

• 8 years later...