Spare wheel

So all this talk of doors falling off because of the weight of the spare wheel has got me paranoid about wrecking my new tow.

Where Is the best place to put the spare without having to spend to much or self engineer to many things? Between me and my dad we can build most things but ATM we don't have a welder anymore :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I think you have three choices:

1) Swingaway spare wheel carrier at the rear (good ones are not cheap and cheap ones tend to rust away or fail)

2) Bonnet mount - disadvantage is that you need to be strong to lift the bonnet with the spare wheel in place.

3) If you have a hardtop you can mount it inside on the bulkhead behind the seats.

I quite like the found of bonnet mount, can you just remove the fixing point from the rear door and reattach it to the bonnet?

I would use the bulkhead but I no longer have a bulkhead lol

It's not a straight fit, but you may be able to fabricate something.

more info:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=71885

Defender bonnets designed to take the spare have a recess in them so it fits level and a little lower. Also the one I had on the old 110 was internally reinforced. Even with the recess after fitting 235 tyres you could easily lose a small car, bicycle child etc in front of you, so I wouldn't recommend it. A proper wheel carrier on the back is the way to go.

Mine wasn't so much a recess, But the raised bit either side were pressed to allow the wheel to sit lower. But it wasn't original to my 110 it was off a very early 110 2.25 petrol which also had lift handle doors with wind up windows but with dummy galvanised cappings. It also left the factory with a 109 style rear tub with the toolbox holes in the inner wings, but defender style arches. Maybe they only made a few bonnets like it early on, but I certainly wouldn't want the spare any higher :o

My bonnet doesnt have a recess for the wheel as such and that has a factory fitted bonnet mount . I did find the bonnet heavy to lift (wimp) but fitted burger van counter / motor home awning hydrualic strutts and now you just pop the bonnet and give a little lift and they do the rest.

You can buy bonnet reinforcements from the Bay of E http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-O-S-Spare-Wheel-Bonnet-Ring-Reinforcement-MUC6418-/150671593691

When factory fitted they are spot welded in place but you can use rivets and bolts.

I wouldnt try to mount the wheel on the bonnet without reinforcing it, it would probably sag like a damp pizza :unsure:.

Cheers

J2J

In the 90 I carry the spare on top of the rear passenger side wheel arch and just ratchet strap it there, it was meant to be a temporary measure, until I sort out a rear rack or a bonnet mount, not quite got around to it yet, but it works pretty well and I can get most things in the back with room to spare.

The 110 has a rear door mounted one which seems perfectly happy and has been happy since 1990 and that's had a fair amount of abuse.... its also got a spare on the bonnet, I like it there as it looks cool, but is a bit of a pain opening the bonnet, you'll definitely need some bonnet stiffeners, as mine has sagged (probably with the amount of folk that have stood on it, so now the top of the turbo heat shield rubs on the inside of the bonnet and the edge now rubs on the top of the passanger side wing, I also noticed that as the bonnet front rests on the top of the slap panel, its actually caused the radiator to collapse slightly on one side, if its not strapped down well, it does vibrate on the catch... bonnet mount also put a fair bit of stress on the bonnet hinge mounts too... after this experience I'm not sure I'd do it on the 90 as I think it would trash the bonnet.

When I have time I'll fit a self supporting rear carrier, just about the most practical.

Mav