Is this a time to learn to weld?

Chris123

Hi Chaps,

It's been a while since I've posted, but somehow I've started another series rebuild.

Only problem is I'm struggling to find someone to do the welding that's required.

What I need to do is replace the bellhousing crossmember (I've got a new one to slot in). Patch up another cross member, maybe move one of the tub supports, and replace the A-posts and footwells on a bulkhead.

The first question is: I've never really welded before, is this a time to learn or are these tasks going to be too much for a newby welder? I've got another chassis to practice on which I imagine could be useful.

The second question: if this is a time, then will a welder like this do the job? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Migmate+T135+Turbo+Gas+/+Gasless+Welder/p17583

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Yes. It's time to learn to weld.

You'd be better off buying a good used MIG set rather than a new cheap chinese one. I bought a Clarke set, and while it's still going strong, it's not the best set in the world and I now recognise I'd have done better to get a 2nd hand set.

Loads of info on the MIG welding forum, and rtech welding have some good and well priced machines if you must buy new.

You'll probably save the cost of the welder by doing these jobs yourself, and once you've learnt, you have the skill for life.

Buying the gear & learning will probably be similar cost to paying someone to do it all for you... but at the end of it you'll have all the gear and be able to weld!

Might take longer and involve some practice and some mistakes too, but that's always the way.

Plenty of threads on here about "what welder to buy" and welding advice.

Re MIG Sets

DON't buy one that doesn't have the Eurotorch Fitting....

Buy BIG and as much as you can afford to spend, cheap welding plant is er... ****..

Duty Cycle = how long welds before shuts down (Trips) to cool down, small machine trip bludy quick ! - will drive you crackers

Aviod mini bottles, get a full size bottle, not BOC you can do buy outrights now :)

www.migtigarc have a fair selection.....browse and compare

ANYTHING invertor will be more money than Non Invertwer, its like a Desktop vs a Laptop !

From there I have used and can recomend any of the following :

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/MIG_Welder/SWP_MIG_220/swp_mig_220.html

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/MIG_Welder/Oxford_Migmaker/oxford_migmaker.html

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/MIG_Welder/MTA_181_Compact_Mig_Welder/mta_181_compact_mig_welder.html (serioulsy impressed with this one !)

http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/MIG_Welder/Oxford_S-MIG_330/oxford_s-mig_330.html (My ickle Baby :wub::rofl: )

Plus : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19375

Hope thjis helps

Nige

Sorry Nige but I'm going to disagree. Euro torches yes are definitely a good and reliable buy, but I have a small SIP 130amp unit and it lacks flexibility of the more expensive units but once you learn its ways its a good once every couple of months welding set - I've not rebuilt 2 disco's with it and I'm on my 3rd.

You can get all replacement bits for the torches nice and cheap, and you don't need a degree to fix it if something goes caput. I've abuse my set and other than changing the liner for the wire, its been great, I got mine 2nd hand too.

Its a very personal subjective issue, and its all relative to your skills, commitment to weld and your actual interest in learning to weld, it takes a bit of patience and time, but its very satisfying once you start pulling things together.

Mav :D:rolleyes: (Here endeth my piece)....

My local college to night classes in welding, i'm sure there will be one near you too, might be a better place to make mistakes than the land rover with the bonus of someone pointing out where you went wrong.

Excellent suggestion.

Nothing beats having a bit of expert tuition.

They would probably cover arc/inverter as well, and if you are really lucky the lost arts of brazeing/soldering.

Barry

Buy welders by weight! Big old heavy industrial ones have big chunky transformers etc. which will put up with constant abuse and kick out the jams all day long, newer cheaper stuff is built down to a price and will be nearer its limit, require cooling periods, etc.. I collected a 20-year-old Miller TIG the other day, being for very fine work its max output is about 75A but it took two people to lift into the car. That's a good sign.

This is my 30+ year old NBC (Butters), transformers and wire feed motor have a certain solidity about them:

nbc_txfmrs.jpg

nbc_wirefeed_motor.jpg

The 1st transformer on the left is actually a "wetting" inductor for a better weld, round the other side is a big bank of capacitors - two expensive and heavy features you're not going to find in a hobby set.

For splatting the odd patch on a LR chassis (~1.5mm thickness if you're lucky) a small hobby MIG will suffice, but if you come round to some larger job, or decide to glue something chunky together (winch tray, rock sliders, gimp cage), you may hit the limits.

An auto-darkening helmet is well worth the investment too. And proper gas, not pub gas (cue internet argument).

The number 1 thing above all is practice.

• 3 weeks later...

A good welder is nice! I've welded with some nice rigs. One can weld all forms and long lines.

After that I bought a Ferm MIG 1000, over 10 years old but never used for 60 Euro,s

After making sure the thing worked I bought a 10L gas bottle with it and switched to 0.6mm wire for welding on my transit.

the wirefeed isn't smooth so it welds like carp, but with some practice I've welded up my transit and got it trough MOT.

conclusion, If you want a car that looks like new after the job, get a friggin nice welder, If you need to get the job done any gas-mig welder (some even go with flux core) will do the job, just takes more practice and cursing.