Oh dear! TD5 wont start

Hi,

After finishing all of the roll cage and wings etc. I have been happily driving it for the last 8 months going to work and on long journeys and its started straight up on the first crank no problem.

Yesterday I drove it back to my house (4 or 5 miles), it started up fine, drove back, all was fine, but I thought that the fuel pump sounded louder than normal, which at the time, I thought was not good.

This morning when I go to work, get in and start it up, it turns over, but doesn't even think about starting.

The fuel pump sounds a bit louder than normal, which on here, means its not a good sign and its on its way out. But being a TD5 I can't help thinking about all the other things like the injector washers and fuel pressure regulator etc.

There are no external leaks from anywhere, there's a little oil on the ECU plug which I have cleaned and has made no difference and the oil level hasn't increased.

It was running fine and now it wont start.

What does the panel recommend. I had thought it was the fuel pump and thought it would be an easy fix, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve

Try running the standard TD5 fuel-system-purge cycle a few times.

Turn ignition switch to position II

Pump throttle 5 times.

You should get the MIL light flashing and hear the fuel-pump running - it may cycle on and off for minutes or so.

If you hear any swishing/gurgling/whooshing noises that shows it's expelling 'trapped wind'.

Question is - how did the trapped wind get in there?

I've done the purge cycle 3 or 4 times and still doesn't start. There is a gurgling sound, so there maybe air in there somewhere, but how it got there is probably the problem.

With respect to the pump speed dropping when the engine is cranked I guess this could be down to the engine taking all the battery power and not due to cylinder pressure travelling up the fuel lines.

What are the common failure modes of a fuel pump?

Steve

Well I plugged the Nancom/Faultmate and it didn't really show anything apart from:

Air con

Gearbox/ABS

Rev counter

All which I haven't got!

I checked the inputs and found that the pedal was working, showing the correct voltage and check sum.

The coolant, air and fuel temp was all working giving a reading.

I will change the fuel filter when that arrives to see if that makes any difference.

Steve

My mates was duff injector seals, had run fine for years with no problem then eventually started to die. Intermittent misfires, noisy pump, difficult to start when hot and sometimes when cold.

Changed the seals and was like a new truck, not a hard job and can be done in a few hours for less than £30 parts.

Right I've run a dedicated earth from ECU bolt down point to earth on the battery and removed the split charge relay to give a few more volts (from two batteries), but still it just cranks over with no signs of starting.

I'm yet to try a new fuel filter, but surely it cant be injector washers, starting one day and not the next. I thought that would have been a gradual hard to start, cuts out kind of thing?

Steve

Sounds a little like a friends disco earlier this year...

Was running fine and then one day decided not to start.. After all manner of ECU changes, etc. decided to pull the pump out (Even though it was still whirring as normal) only to find the pump had become dislodged from the whole cradle part.

Replaced the pump part only, back in, purged three times and away it went. Been god as gold since.

Might be worth a look before disturbing the engine....

I had originally thought it could be the fuel pump as it's a little bit noisy, but as you say I don't really want to disturb the engine and washers etc.

I still have the option of changing the fuel filter, so I'll do that first, then have a think about buying a genuine fuel pump....

Steve

Have you checked for fuel delivery by removing the return line yet?

Make sure you do the return line, as that ensures the pump is properly pressurising the rail.

Removing the feed only tells you the pumps capable of moving fuel, rather than actually producing the required pressure.

I dropped the tank half way, removed the pipes and plug and then dropped it fully, took it out and cleaned the top of the tank and replaced the pump. A little bit fiddly at times, but its done now!

The pump purges the air out so quickly to leave a near silent pump!

Steve

I made a faux pas with mine ... I recently replaced the crossmember and had the tank out of the 90 to do it.

I should have cleaned out the filter while it was out - but I never thought. Now it's back it's a bit noisier than before and I wonder if it's because I've disturbed some junk in moving it.

The problem is that it was an absolute nightmare to get in and out. I think the bracings on the underside of the tub are in the worst position.

Thus I'm considering cutting the floor to get at it this time......

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did that not long ago, you'll be pleased to hear it was the injector washers. Exactly as you describe, was driving along, loss of power, lots of white smoke. Changed the washers and smoke has gone and have had no running issues since.

HTH

Simon

p.s. Anderzander, i have a photo with all the measurements on for cutting a hole in the floor to change the pump if you want it, save you lying underneath with a tape measure.