water temp vs oil temp - relation ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

What engine is it? Diesel or petrol? What oil will it be running - pure dino, semi-synth or fully-synth?

I generally like oil to get hot early, and engines to run hot for efficiency and long-life. Modern 'performance' engines have an oil/water heat-exchanger which actually puts heat from the coolant into the oil at startup, but then works as an oil-cooler if the oil temperature gets excessive under arduous conditions.

Minimum of 85C for oil - up to 130C after a burst of running at WOT is acceptable if you're running a fully-synth oil. Bulk oil temps below about 85C are likely to result in condensation of combustion-products/unburned fuel which shorten engine life.

Water - I'm used to thermostats that start opening around 90- 95C and are fully open at 100-102.

You don't want oil to be too cool otherside the water vapour generated as part of combustion cannot boil off. That's why you often find mayonnaise under the caps of cars only ever used for short journeys.

If you were running fully synthetic then anything up to 150 degrees is acceptable.

Vr1 is 20/50 made from dead dinosaurs, so anything up to about 120 degrees is acceptable.

However it's important not to run the oil too cool as mentioned above. You really want a minimum of about 85 degrees, but ideally want it to be closer to the boiling point of water.

Most modern cars fitted with oil temp gauges (at least all the hire cars I've had recently) oil temp sits between 100 and 105 cruising on the motorway to give you an idea.

Jon

as an example the 200 & 300 tdi engines are fitted with a 74 degree opening oil thermostat & the coolant thermostat is 88 degree opening.

How does that affect the warm up of the engine and life span of the oil? I ask as the oil goes into the cooler in the rad and at a 14 degree lower stat it will cool the engine faster than it getting up to the 88 degree operating temp, I can't help but think that there is little logic in the oil stat opening at a lower temp than the water stat based on what has been said so far?

Same here with a medium sized marine diesel!

Oil is normally about 65 degrees, with a high alarm of 80 degrees C.

Mind you, we have separators for removing the water, and condensation isn't really an issue with the engines running 24/7.

Smaller engines also tend to work their oil harder, as there is a smaller reservoir.

How does that affect the warm up of the engine and life span of the oil? I ask as the oil goes into the cooler in the rad and at a 14 degree lower stat it will cool the engine faster than it getting up to the 88 degree operating temp, I can't help but think that there is little logic in the oil stat opening at a lower temp than the water stat based on what has been said so far?

coolant stat opens & 88 & gauge normally sits just left of vertical, oil temp gauge sits around 85 to 90 when engine is fully warmed up, on the road oil temp rises to around 95 to 100 when pulling hard up hills or with a trailer attached

My f250 diesel powerstroke runs the oil a few degrees hotter than water temp.

On my rv I run the oil and water at about 80-90. It's too easy to cool the oil so make sure if you have a fan on the cooler it is controlled by a thermo switch.

I would imagine the water gets to 88 before the oil gets to 74

If you read the RAVE manuals it does point out that an 88deg stat starts to open at 88deg and runs more like 92-95. I think there's a lot of tendency to over-cool based on superstitions of the 1960's era of motoring when everything was marginal due to poverty / poor design / low tech / poor engineering tolerances etc. / rubbish oils.