Urgent: Call for Assistance.

ajh

I am stuck on a project for a client and it has dragged on far too long due to a number of items; some of which are what I hope to address ASAP here as it needs to be delivered in the next 2 weeks. It is a Series 3 on a Coil chassis and LHD with a Discovery 200TDI the main problem I need to resolve ASAP is getting the exhaust and engine connected. First I got the Steve Parker Disco 200TDI -> Series exhaust system; this could not work because the turbo and the left chassis rail were in the same location. Then I got a 300TDI manifold and turbo; which doesn't seem to be something that will work because the steering box is in the way of getting the manifold into place; and then once in place the left bulkhead bracket blocks access to the turbo output.

Looking at it; I suspect if I fit a Defender 200TDI manifold set and turbo and then get the front pipe for the Defender 200TDI into Series chassis then it will work; or at least be a whole lot closer to working to the point I could then modify the bracket or similar for clearance. The problem is that I spent years looking for a turbo and manifold set without luck.

Does anyone have a set; or a Defender 200TDI sitting in their shop they could remove the manifolds/turbo/feed lines from, or another option that can get this vehicle finished and out of here. Needless to say they're upset that it isn't finished yet; and the trans-Atlantic search for used parts has not gone well.

I'm now desperate to get this finished and any help at all will result in free beer all night next time I'm in the UK to the person who can help me out!

Hello, there are a number of Defender 200tdi engines on fleebay just now, unfortunately the parts you are looking for are getting rather hard to find or they are about but you have to pay for them...

I've never done this conversion only read about it, but there does seem to be work arounds...

Hmmm left hand drive... interesting challenge...

Have you thought about using parts from a 19J engine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-2-5-diesel-engine-19J-Turbo-diesel-/251371663435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a86eb304b

And read this... needs some slights mods to the exhaust manifold evidently...

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/anyone-got-200tdi-defender-manifold-n-turbo-up-grabs-133525.html

I'm guessing you're talking about the standard Series steering box and bulkhead bracket, rather than a PAS steering box from something else, which would be on the chassis rail? My 109 has a 300 manifold and turbo, and I'm sure the bracket isn't in the way, admitedly I don't have the steering box as it's not LHD. To be honest, how many times do you expect to remove the turbo?

Is this an 88 or 109?

Why don't you just make a custom exhaust by cutting up and welding together old ones?

Alternatively if you have a tube bender, you can make an exhaust out of roll cage type tube. This has the advantage that it will outlast the Earth so although custom, you will never need to replace it.

Last option, make it out of flexible stainless exhaust.

Si

Alternatively if you have a tube bender, you can make an exhaust out of roll cage type tube. This has the advantage that it will outlast the Earth so although custom, you will never need to replace it.

Si

Custom headers were my thoughts with relocated turbo, still trying to visualize it but can't really see any good quick odd cheaper alternatives.

This kind of misinformation is why I am in the situation I am in; and I have a TOTAL of 2 weeks to resolve it or I'm getting in serious legal trouble.

If it is RHD then you're fine; this is NOT RHD, the 200TDI disco turbo fitting requires removal of the left chassis rail; this is not an option. The 300TDI manifold requires removal of the left bulkhead bracket, this is also not an option as the steering box is then removed. So the only viable option is using a Defender manifold and turbo. The problem is NOBODY IN THE UK IS WILLING TO REMOVE THESE AND SHIP THEM.... buying and shipping an entire engine is much more than I have to finish this job. I am paying out of pocket on this because they won't pay for 3 different solutions to what to them seems to be a simple issue I should have researched properly in advance.... which of course I did and was given all the same advice as above. I need something by this weekend; so I need to find a 200TDI DEFENDER manifold, turbo; oil feed lines, and I can just replace the downpipe with a steve parker one and the issue is resolved.

I am desparate at this point.

You still haven't said whether its an 88 or a 109. Since you're suggesting chopping out the chassis rail I assume you're working on a 109. Sounds to me like it needs a PAS conversion to get rid of the steering box, that's easy enough to do, and there are a number of threads about it on the internet. If you look around, I think someone has fitted a 200 disco turbo into a 109 by rotating the turbo housing. I'm at work and haven't the time to look for it.

What about a TD turbo, anyone know if that fits the TDi head?

It is a coiler conversion; so despite being an 88" the chassis configuration is different. With the Defender set-up there looks like there is plenty of room. A PAS conversion is a possibility; I'd need to find something really definitive on what is needed quickly though; I did look a while ago and found a lot of vagueness on some things. Does it require removing the front crossmember/modifying it etc?

I take it you mean one of these?

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rover-defender/defender-90-and-110/parts/err678-exhaust-manifold-90110-200tdi.html

I found some very good reading here as well but won't get you going in a hurry, but maybe you can find other parts that might make things simpler?

http://www.serie2a.dk/English%20series2a/200tdi%20discovery%20in%20a%20Defender.htm

Stupid question maybe, but can you turn the turbo upside down on the 300TDI manifold?

There's a good chance I would think, the manifolds are afterall only pressed together aren't they, no welding between the tubes, so a move around might be possible.

I take it you mean one of these?

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rover-defender/defender-90-and-110/parts/err678-exhaust-manifold-90110-200tdi.html

I found some very good reading here as well but won't get you going in a hurry, but maybe you can find other parts that might make things simpler?

http://www.serie2a.dk/English%20series2a/200tdi%20discovery%20in%20a%20Defender.htm

I remember that second link now. Didn't strike me as a brilliant link between the manifolds an the blocks but it must have worked. The first is the ideal part, but no turbo. Vague idea 200 and 300 actually use the same Garrett turbo?

Unless I am mistaken he already has the turbo just not a suitable manifold but could be wrong, so many custom shops in the US that could knock a set of tube headers up in a day and make the down pipe too, just seems silly to be hoping and praying for part delivery from the UK, JMHO.

Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and pay for custom work to be done, especially working within a time frame!!!

I do bid you success.

PS Check your PMs!!!!

I don't have a turbo or manifold at this point. I have seriously screwed up on this; and now have to have the entire thing back together in the next 2 weeks. There is nobody in Ottawa who can do manifolds; the SP downpipe for Def->SIII will work; but this is the only stock-part configuration I've found that would.

If someone has an entire engine or would like to split one for parts and can get one quickly that is probably my best bet. I know they're often sold over there for reasonable amounts and if someone has space for spares and we can organize something quickly that would be ideal.

I still need to install a full custom harness; and that'll take up a lot of my time in the meanwhile but if something can be set in motion then hopefully the entire thing can get pulled together in time.,

So I spent all day trying to get an Ebay seller to sell me a turbo and manifold; I've offered to pay their full Buy it Now price and still they refuse to be helpful and remove the what 10 nuts/4 bolts needed to do this. I don't get this mentality.

The turbo and manifold are what make the Defender engine variant desirable, so one can understand the sellers' reluctance to remove them. They can also sell them so easily in this country that the extra hassle involved in doing so abroad isn't worth it.

Not what you want to hear but explains your difficulty in finding parts here. I would say you're better off going down the custom route locally, you've certainly got a better chance that way I would think.

So I spent all day trying to get an Ebay seller to sell me a turbo and manifold; I've offered to pay their full Buy it Now price and still they refuse to be helpful and remove the what 10 nuts/4 bolts needed to do this. I don't get this mentality.

Selling you those bits makes the rest of what he has practically worthless. That's the issue. It's highly unlikely that anyone would want to buy a 200tdi block without the turbo and manifold.

Why would it matter if I already paid their asking price for the entire engine? and custom is not an option; there is nobody here I would trust to do it or who is even remotely capable that I know of.

Why would it matter if I already paid their asking price for the entire engine? and custom is not an option; there is nobody here I would trust to do it or who is even remotely capable that I know of.

I do not see the problem either, especially as it helps someone out overseas where availability is difficult.

I guess they do not want the bother of packing it up and sending it. Or maybe they have had hassle from overseas buyers who CLAIM they have not recieved the item and have had Ebay take the money from their account, so not only have they lost the item itself, but also the payment for it plus fees......................who knows ?

AJH. I had the same problem in reverse a couple of years ago. I wanted an alternator bracket and adjuster for an old 400 ci Ford engine. A guy in Montana had a complete engine for sale with a Buy it Now price on it, and I offered him the full asking price if he would take the brackets off and send them to me here with me covering all the costs.

He refused, and like you, I don't understand the mentality..

Sorry I cant help. Not in the time allowed...................

I managed to get a little more time; if I was able to get it by mid next week that would work. Just need to find someone who'll sell it or take delivery of a complete engine and send on the bits I need with the rest to follow when I have cash for that shipping. If I get going on the harness by Monday that 'should' give me time to catch up on enough... I hope. I have not had a good week so far.

Hi Mate

Any photos fo what you are doing would make it easier to sugest any sollutions.

If you hav got the Disco 200 TDI manifold, then I know of peeps here in Denmark who uses some tubebends to make an S-shaped connection between the manifold and tuurbo. This is mounted so that the turbo i s moved forward in the enginebay - hence making room for the exhaust.

I havent. got any pictures of this.

Quite a few peeps are running stock LHD series here in Denmark with Disco 200 TDI, so its doable.

If you got a little patience, then I gladly ask around for solutions and photos.

Cheers

Morten

I remember that second link now. Didn't strike me as a brilliant link between the manifolds an the blocks but it must have worked. The first is the ideal part, but no turbo. Vague idea 200 and 300 actually use the same Garrett turbo?

TD engines were not designed for intercoolers either, and consequently its very difficult to get one plumbed in, although it is possible. This might be something you need to consider.

Okay, I've read the thread from top to bottom and concluded that you are not really after suggestions, you basically need a solution sharpish and you hope that a Defender 200Tdi Turbo, exhaust manifold and associated oil pipework will do it.

I have a complete 200Tdi engine here that I was going to sell but am willing to strip the bits you want off and send if you wish. (Can have a crack at stripping the bits off tonight if you wish). It has been sitting for a couple of years so cant guarantee condition but will update you if there is anything obvious found during stripping.

You want:

• Turbo on Exhaust Manifold with associated linkages.
  • Oil Pipes.
  • Manifold securing bolts etc.

Anything else (Speak now or forever be frustrated :mellow:, its a long way to post stuff)?

If this helps, I dread to think what Royal Mail postage will cost from Aberdeenshire. Unless you want to arrange a courier to collect (or I can drop off at any courier depot in Aberdeen).

You've been doing the research on value / availability but I dont want/intend to fleece you so hows about you let me know what you want to pay, PM if you wish. Obviously I also need an address etc too.

Over to you.