Welding new engine mounts

Anderzander

Just wondered what's the best method for welding in new engine mounts ?

I was thinking of using the engine crane to lower the new motor in, with the whole mount assemies fitted, and bolt it all up to the gearbox - then tweaking here and there, tack welding the mounts before removing the engine again and seam welding the mounts properly.

Any suggestions, comments, or thoughts ?

• 1 year later...

Depressing how long ago I asked this ! Anyhow - I finally have the garage built to work on the series.

So - a further question - which set of holes would you use on the engines left side: The front or the rear ? Does one offer any advantage over the other ?

If your reffering to a 300 TDi - use the mount holes on the block nearest the middle of the block - causes the engine to be moslty supported by front mounts, this means the bell housing is under less stress, hecne deflects less. Supposed to reduce noise/harshness.

Thanks for the reply - it's a 200, but that was the point I was wondering about.

With changing the chassis mounts; I guess I can pick up either of the mounting holes on the left - and I wondered if one carried the weight better than the other.