Land Rover immune to new police/military weapon

CwazyWabbit

Yeah alright I know it's tenuous but I still found it interesting and thought a few others might.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25197786

"Certainly if you took a 1960s Land Rover, there's a good chance you're not going to stop it," Mr Wood said.

TBH I doubt it would stop anything TDI or older that didn't have an immobiliser fitted.

I doubt it'd stop anything that doesn't have an ECU, and even then I'd be amazed if it turns out to be practical - stopping a car coming towards you at 15mph gives you plenty of time, and it stops quickly. If it whizzes past at 100mph, a quick misfire as you pass through the kill zone isn't going to stop you unless the ECU is particularly prone to hissy-fits. Might work best on Prius!

To disperse a mob or rioting crowd you effectively beamed a high energy RF source (about 150MHz) at 'em.

It gave a general feeling of being unwell, made everyone just want to go home. Its effect was almost immediate.

Demonstrated on a group of volunteers who all said it was an unpleasant experience.

I have suffered similar effects when working on the face of dishes that we had been assured were isolated but clearly were still on. That took a few hours to have any effect but was a much lower level and was about 5GHz.

Did see some EMP trials back in the late 70's as well, killing the car HT coil. The pulse caused such a high field in the primary that the secondary flashed over so the ht winding had short circuits turn to turn, after that no HT can be made, stopping the engine dead.

No way that could be used as a civvy stop method, no way to direct it so police car would be stuffed along with half the house wiring / tv's telephones etc within a few km ;-)

Fascinating, the EMP bit from GW8IZR I mean. I've always been a bit shy of radio devices because up the road from us is a radio beacon that looks like an artists impression of a UFO and hums, it's a bit of a crowd pleaser but when I asked a friend of my fathers' who worked for Marconi about it he said to stay well clear.

:armadillo helmet on/: best get rid of this eurobox ASAP and back in Brian every day.

kind of reminds me of those things in 2 fast 2 furious which shot into the car bodywork from a bazooka and messed up the ecu doing the same thing.

kind of reminds me of those things in 2 fast 2 furious which shot into the car bodywork from a bazooka and messed up the ecu doing the same thing.

A proper EMP would no doubt require quite a bit of power so for the bazooka thing to work you would have to also have quite a high energy battery being fired as well. So now they would be launching a large projectile with an explosive attached....... may as well just launch a grenade ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

in addition.

Intresting topic, we use a sound based weapon on our ships for pirate defence

Chris, Speaking as someone who's had to use one of the LRAD(long Range Acoustic Device) and the hyperspike onboard the vessels I've been on to protect in the GOA etc.they just seem to annoy the potential boarders, send me a PM and let me know where you work please mate

John

Chris, Speaking as someone who's had to use one of the LRAD(long Range Acoustic Device) and the hyperspike onboard the vessels I've been on to protect in the GOA etc.they just seem to annoy the potential boarders, send me a PM and let me know where you work please mate

John

On a similar subject, local school was an RV point for children at night causing a bit of noise and fuss, they installed a thing called a Mosquito which was a sound source at a few tens of KHz - it drove the children daft so they dispersed. Those of an age where the hearing has been battered by 9mm rounds and loud music walked past unaware.

On a similar subject, local school was an RV point for children at night causing a bit of noise and fuss, they installed a thing called a Mosquito which was a sound source at a few tens of KHz - it drove the children daft so they dispersed. Those of an age where the hearing has been battered by 9mm rounds and loud music walked past unaware.

I experienced this a few years back when out with the family in I think Bath... came out of the shopping centre and myself and my sister were aware of a horrid high pitched noise. However the parents couldn't hear it at all!

I experienced this a few years back when out with the family in I think Bath... came out of the shopping centre and myself and my sister were aware of a horrid high pitched noise. However the parents couldn't hear it at all!

A few more years of angle grinding away rotten steel will leave you with fully developed adult hearing and an immunity to this Ross ;)

Did see some EMP trials back in the late 70's as well, killing the car HT coil. The pulse caused such a high field in the primary that the secondary flashed over so the ht winding had short circuits turn to turn, after that no HT can be made, stopping the engine dead.

The Russians screened a lot of the ignition system on the petrol engined trucks, my Gaz-66 has all of this still in place. It is handily also very waterproof

katushka-raspredelitel-svechi-i-privod-z

Was that a radio truck? It looks more like rfi filtering to me than emp protection ( but that's not an evidence based statement )

If you have ever pulled it apart, what is item 27 made from?

They made some pretty advanced systems that lots of time trouble and effort went into them.