Road going rally LRs

o_teunico

I've marshalled/provided-comms-for a few stage-rallies where the BAMA guys have been included. They tend to run at the back of the field if only because 300BHP in a Citroen C3, a Ford Focus Cosworth or old-style Lancia Delta Integrale is rather faster than 150BHP in a mildly-tweaked Defender/Disco.

The BAMA guys tended to concentrate on completion rather than outright fastest-speed-per-stage; even so it's kinda amusing to see a desert-camo Defender-110 being put sideways through the stages at Abbeycwmhir, Myherin or Cwmystwyth. The biggest issues tended to be either with the engines [which were really not used to running for extended periods at high RPM/wide-open-throttle] or the brakes [which disliked being used to brake from 85 to 20MPH 30 or 40 times over a 12-mile stage].

Here are some shots of my two!

post-1340-0-98216400-1388339318_thumb.jpg

Bought this one off ebay last year as a 'stand-in' whilst I complete the rebuild on the other. 300Tdi Standard Production Class car. Very civilised on the road as well as competing - a little bit harsher than standard because of uprated shocks, but not much. Not nearly as fast as Muddy, but we won our class with it this year at the Borders Hillrally.

post-1340-0-07588200-1388339354_thumb.jpg

This is my 3.9 V8 Super Production car - MuddyMoo, doesn't currently look much like this as it is having a axles up rebuild to be lighter and faster. This is a out and out rally car, thirsty, noisy and uncomfortable on the road, but fast both on and off it.

For those of you who haven't seen it - this is what it is like inside of MuddyMoo

With the right pads - brakes are rarely a problem on the stages with a Land Rover. MuddyMoo runs 110 front calipers (grooved and cross drilled discs) and 90 rears with EBC Greenstuff. We saw a little bit of fade in France after about four or five 100-20mph stops for chicanes on fast sections, but never anywhere else. Looking to investigate some Mintex compounds after Muddy's in-train rebuild is completed.

That looks about the most amount of fun you can have with your clothes on!!!!

Pretty much, and as motorsport goes not at all bad value! We've had great fun this year in a Tdi Discovery that owes me less than £3k. Expensive as old Discoverys go, but this one is rot free and is doubling as a great road motor too! For the miles per grin factor its worth the hassle of five point harnesses and having to climb over the cage to go to the shops!