What kills panhard rod bushes?

JeffR

The panhard rod bushes on my Disco 1 have given up the ghost after about a years use. The were genuine parts (NOT BP- I'm not that stupid). Front suspension was completely replaced at the same time, swivel hub pre-load checked and adjusted, steering damper replaced, yet the buggers have gone again.

I give in, why?

Have you checked to see that the bolt holes in the bush mounting brackets have not elongated? This gives the same symptoms as worn bushes, but also accelerates the wear on the bushes as they are being 'hammered' as it takes up the slack.

The easiest solution is to weld a thick washer to the outside of the mounting - this can make a world of difference.

Si

Have you checked to see that the bolt holes in the bush mounting brackets have not elongated? This gives the same symptoms as worn bushes, but also accelerates the wear on the bushes as they are being 'hammered' as it takes up the slack.

The easiest solution is to weld a thick washer to the outside of the mounting - this can make a world of difference.

Si

Now there's a possibility! Once the monsoon/minor hurricane abates shall have look.

Si

How do you determine where on the elongated hole to weld the washer to ensure the bolt, thus the rod is at its original position?

I've had the same panhard rod bushings in My series LR for well over 10 years.I set mine up so that I need to jack the chassis up an inch or two before the bolts can be fitted easily. Unlike the standard fitment this preloads the bushings at ride height and reduces the tendency toward death wobbles with large heavy mud caked unbalanced wheels and tyres, and also allow more suspension droop and articulation before the bushes are strained to their maximum.My suspension setup has significantly more droop than compression travel.

Well, the holes are not oval, but there is a couple of mm play between the bush and the bracket (drivers side) where the pan hard rod fits. Hopefully a washer will remove that.

Are you sure you have the right bush for the axle? IIRC there's a wide and a narrow one available.

Are you sure you have the right bush for the axle? IIRC there's a wide and a narrow one available.

Ben, are you not mistaking Jeffs panhard rod bushes with his front radius arm bushes?

John

How do you determine where on the elongated hole to weld the washer to ensure the bolt, thus the rod is at its original position?

Put it in the middle of the slot.

Mine were so bad, I ended up making a washer which looked like this:

post-74-0-85425200-1389259650_thumb.jpg

Which solved the problem.

Si

Like Bill I had a set that lasted a long time, 12 years in fact. They were red Polybushes. I only replaced them as I was rebushing the whole truck in one go. The Panhard rods ones were not really worn at all.

By contrast a mate of mine managed to kill the same bushes on his 90 in just over a year! Ever since he has slagged off Polybushes. He drives a few more miles than I do, and drives like a hooligan too, but I struggle to see those two factors making such a huge difference.

The oversized bolt hole issue sounds like a good area to check first.

I agree that tightening the bolts when the suspension is not sitting level would not help either.

Replace the bolts when I replaced the bushes (false economy for the sake of a few quid)! Bolts tightened with the vehicle on the ground. Guess it's something I'll not get to the bottom of, will go the polybush route when I change em this weekend, see if that helps.