Most unreliable LandRover.

bill van snorkle

In a moment of weakness a couple of weeks ago I couldn't resist the temptation to rescue from the breakers yard,as is, and non running,a tidy shiny red 89 RangeRover Vogue, 3.5 EFi Auto with BorgWarner viscous transfercase. I have been busy with other matters and have had little time to get her running until this weekend. Checked fuel flow and pressure=OK, distributor/ignition timing =ok, removed and inspected spark plugs = appeared ok. Hooked jumper leads off my Landey ,cranked engine over for a minute or so, no cigar, wiggled a few wiring connections to various sensors around the engine, cranked engine over for anther minute or so, still no joy. Repeated all previous checks several times over but still no go. Finally decided to lash out and bought her a set of new spark plugs, and much to my surprise she fired up right away. How is it that an 8 cylinder engine can be so sensitive to spark plug condition that not a sigle one of the original 8 plugs would fire enough to start the engine ? I never change the plugs on my tired old 2 1/4 litre engine and can remove 3 of them and the engine will still fire.

Unfortunately after getting the engine running and during a quick trip around the block, the ZF auto started slipping badly until I lost virtually all drive and had to engage low range to get back home. I have maintained and repaired other peoples Rangeys for years but it only occurred to me then that this combination of mechanical components go towards making what would be the most unreliable LandRover model possible. ie A fussy engine with a Lucas starter motor,that you cannot tow start because of auto transmission, that drives into a non lockable viscous coupled transfercase that from experience will not transmit drive to the remaining differential in the event of rear halfshaft failure or failure of the notoriously fragile 30 spline front inner axles, cv joints diffs etc. A more unbushworthy variant would be difficult to find.

I originally hoped that the Rangey may have replaced the family Isuzu Trooper, but to add insult to injury the missus hates the ergonomics of the Rangey, so I think I might cut my losses and resell it for what I paid.

Bill.

the RAC man who carried my 110 all the way from Glastonbury to Southend last year on his flatbed taxi (clutch release fork) reckoned that the freelander was the most unreliable car on the road today, as he'd picked up more of them than any other... <_<

he reckoned Honda's were the most reliable......... :rolleyes:

the RAC man who carried my 110 all the way from Glastonbury to Southend last year on his flatbed taxi (clutch release fork) reckoned that the freelander was the most unreliable car on the road today, as he'd picked up more of them than any other... <_<

he reckoned Honda's were the most reliable......... :rolleyes:

Shame rover dumped Honda for BMW, maybe if they stayed with Honda, it may have filtered to LR,they too would be some of the most reliable cars on the road, maybe :blink: so glad i driver a G wagen. :P

that drives into a non lockable viscous coupled transfercase that from experience will not transmit drive to the remaining differential in the event of rear halfshaft failure or failure of the notoriously fragile 30 spline front inner axles, cv joints diffs etc.

Drove mine for months with no prop after the viscous coupling seized (um...I'm not making much of a case here, am I... :unsure:) - arguably a bit different to when it's working properly, but I've driven it with one prop before and it worked fine. Thought the ZF boxes were pretty bulletproof if they were looked after, too?

The rest I can't argue with...certainly not putting mine forward as an example of rugged reliability. Try adding air suspension to that mix :ph34r:

but other than that you're happy with it? :lol:

tried powerflushing the box Bill?

Ecstatic! Seriously though it really is a nice rust free, well cared for car, by RangeRover standards. And I only paid the equivelant of 400 quid for her.But I personally have very basic, agricultural tastes in personal transportation and if the missus doesn't want to know I'll not waste too much time on her, (the RangeRover that is).

I'll try the powerflush Jez. But there must be some reason she was sold to the Breakers, and I suspect knackered transmission may be it.

Bill.

Ecstatic! Seriously though it really is a nice rust free, well cared for car, by RangeRover standards. And I only paid the equivelant of 400 quid for her.But I personally have very basic, agricultural tastes in personal transportation and if the missus doesn't want to know I'll not waste too much time on her, (the RangeRover that is).

I'll try the powerflush Jez. But there must be some reason she was sold to the Breakers, and I suspect knackered transmission may be it.

Bill.

Bill,

Firstly - you have as usual delivered plain spoken home truths :lol:

On the bright side, you can now build what was to be my dream Rangie project. Not that building my dream so that I can enjoy it vicariously is necessarily high on your list of things to do....

Just before I got the news I was leaving KL, I had it all planned out (I was going to use a 2 door, but not a relevant difference) and was about to buy the base vehicle when I got the news. The idea was to put a MOPAR 318 in front of a TF727 mated to the LT230 - kind of old school mini-muscle. I had access to an extremely cheap 318 mind you (with the right heads I think much more buildable for low end torque than the 360), and had found a mob in Oz that were MOPAR mad for performance parts. In fact they were building 300 + hp 318s in their shop (outside Melbourne as I recall) and similar power/displacement 360's. Anyway, Ashcrofts still have tailhousings to mate the 727 to the LT230....Not exactly sophisticated or particularly inspiring but I have a thing for MOPAR LA engines...

I suppose a Holden/GM build might be more approriate for Oz, but as a GM hater, it's not for me. Still, a stealth hot-rod Rangie would be pretty fun.

Bill,

This may be teaching you to suck eggs but my RR was "scrapped" when I bought it because it "needed a new gearbox" - turned out the oil cooler hose had gone so within seconds of engaging drive the contents of the box would end up on the floor and = no drive :(

So far it's been a bargain, but you're right about Lucas starters, mine appears to be on the way out now :lol:

Bill,

Firstly - you have as usual delivered plain spoken home truths :lol:

On the bright side, you can now build what was to be my dream Rangie project. Not that building my dream so that I can enjoy it vicariously is necessarily high on your list of things to do....

Just before I got the news I was leaving KL, I had it all planned out (I was going to use a 2 door, but not a relevant difference) and was about to buy the base vehicle when I got the news. The idea was to put a MOPAR 318 in front of a TF727 mated to the LT230 - kind of old school mini-muscle. I had access to an extremely cheap 318 mind you (with the right heads I think much more buildable for low end torque than the 360), and had found a mob in Oz that were MOPAR mad for performance parts. In fact they were building 300 + hp 318s in their shop (outside Melbourne as I recall) and similar power/displacement 360's. Anyway, Ashcrofts still have tailhousings to mate the 727 to the LT230....Not exactly sophisticated or particularly inspiring but I have a thing for MOPAR LA engines...

I suppose a Holden/GM build might be more approriate for Oz, but as a GM hater, it's not for me. Still, a stealth hot-rod Rangie would be pretty fun.

Funny you should suggest the 318/727/LT230. It was only 3 weeks ago my employer offered me a 727/230 for free. I declined due to lack of space, so we gave it to a mate of mine who is nearing completion of a Volvo axled,CJ7 Jeep bodied,Rangerover chassied creation, powered by a worked over 318.

I am not too keen on GM either. Mainly because I think they use the same material and quality specification for their gaskets and oil seals as LandRover do.

Fridgefreezer. I am not too sure about the transmission at this stage. I only have about 20 minutes each evening between getting home from work and total darkness (no garage at this time). Trans operates more or less normally when starting up from cold and the Rangey will drive up my articulation ramp in high range as far as wheel travel allows. but after 5 minutes or so once trans has warmed up it will barely move at all on level ground even in low range.

Bill.

Funny you should suggest the 318/727/LT230. It was only 3 weeks ago my employer offered me a 727/230 for free. I declined due to lack of space, so we gave it to a mate of mine who is nearing completion of a Volvo axled,CJ7 Jeep bodied,Rangerover chassied creation, powered by a worked over 318.

I am not too keen on GM either. Mainly because I think they use the same material and quality specification for their gaskets and oil seals as LandRover do.

Fridgefreezer. I am not too sure about the transmission at this stage. I only have about 20 minutes each evening between getting home from work and total darkness (no garage at this time). Trans operates more or less normally when starting up from cold and the Rangey will drive up my articulation ramp in high range as far as wheel travel allows. but after 5 minutes or so once trans has warmed up it will barely move at all on level ground even in low range.

Bill.

Wrong oil, maybe, or lack of it once its been pumped into the cooler???

Definately the freelander has my vote for the biggest pile of Sh*t on four wheels...bought one last week for my new business and so far I've had to do rear diff mount,plugs,leads,cap,rotor arm, 2 tyres coz the rears wear funny AND ITS BROKEN DOWN BOTH TIMES I HAVE DRIVEN IT. I've only had it a week and I HATE IT !!!

Definately the freelander has my vote for the biggest pile of Sh*t on four wheels...bought one last week for my new business and so far I've had to do rear diff mount,plugs,leads,cap,rotor arm, 2 tyres coz the rears wear funny AND ITS BROKEN DOWN BOTH TIMES I HAVE DRIVEN IT. I've only had it a week and I HATE IT !!!

LandRover must have done one hell of an advertising job to make Freelander the top selling 4 wd in Europe, yet they can't give them away over here in OZ. There is probably a lesson in that. If you wan't a strong, durable, honest and reliable 4wd of any type, Find out what the Aussies buy.

Edit.. That wouldn't work. They sellthousands of Disco's here.

Bill.

LandRover must have done one hell of an advertising job to make Freelander the top selling 4 wd in Europe, yet they can't give them away over here in OZ. There is probably a lesson in that. If you wan't a strong, durable, honest and reliable 4wd of any type, Find out what the Aussies buy.

Edit.. That wouldn't work. They sellthousands of Disco's here.

Bill.

The classic Clarkson Quote sums it up nicely

"In the UK if your 4x4 breaks down its an inconvienience - in Australia you'll probably Die"

Sort of sums up why Land Cruisers and such like prevail. Sad but True

I cannot abide the freelander anyway, to own one you would have to be a true "Enthusiast", I know of fleets who have banned them as Co Cars !

But I do have to ask . WHY did you buy one ?

Did you not know about their reliability ? :huh:

Nige

The classic Clarkson Quote sums it up nicely

"In the UK if your 4x4 breaks down its an inconvienience - in Australia you'll probably Die"

Sort of sums up why Land Cruisers and such like prevail. Sad but True

mmm really know what you mean by that. Driving along a 1250k's (nearly 800 miles) long road and see 1 car the whole trip and no houses towns, or anything. No one at all. Their is no radio, TV, Mobile phone coverage. In fact Nothing. Just flat hot land for ever and ever. You drive for 8 hours in a day along dirt tracks (the main Road) and the veiw out of the window does not change at all. You get out after 8 hours and think you are back where you started as it looks the same. You do feel anything could happen in the world you would bnever know about it.

This is the same distance from Southampton to Inverness. Image driving that distance with no houses, fuel stations nothing, no phone , no radio. and All on corrigated dirt track. Scary hey. And you wonder why the p38 is not taken outside the main towns :)

The reason I bought one was I needed a vehicle where I could stand at the rear of the vehicle and use a laptop on the rear pacel shelf without opening the rear door (because a telescopic mast is bolted on the tow bar) The electric boot window of the freelander made this possible. Damn I should have bought a Honda CRV but wanted to stay loyal to the green oval !

Just reading back over this thread, it's so interesting. Not least cause I dream of driving across Auz.

My cousin bought a Freelander as his company vehicle, jesus we ralliied the carp out of that thing up and down dunes and through the sea, never missed a beat but I suppose he didn't keep it long enough to have things go wrong. He did get a new top on it under warrenty cause it leaked like a sieve.

RE the RR, I've been quietly worrying about that whole 'why was my Rangie in the scrappers in the first place' for a while now as it never crossed my mind when I was handing over the money. But then it did start 1st time and the ZF snatches reverse slightly but otherwise is strong.

So now I'm praying there isn't some intermittent electrics/ECU problem that hasn't surfaced yet. Do the later 3.9's have a bad rep? I really have no clue, my uncle has a 1990 3.9 from new, it's done about 188k miles (been meticulously kept) and apart from a fan belt and a rear diff (very recently) it's never 'stopped'.