TD5 uprated clutches

Landyrich

Good evening, not sure where to post this? So feel free to shift as appropriate ,

I'm after a uprated clutch for a remapped 90 with disco 2 gears, I have replaced with genuine parts but slips after a few months, I did get one response from the guys who remapped it with a quote, but despite many days of phone calls and e mails and texts tying to place an order , no reply !

So tried another supplier, they didn't even reply or answer the call !!

So what I'm after is recommendations of a company that can supply and take some money from me :0)

I would like to keep the D/ M F if possible

Many thanks in advance , Richy

ive just preordered / prewarned nige that im about to fit one of his 6 paddle grips like **** on a fleece blankets to my really tuned TD5 as the current clutch doesnt like being clutch bumped in 2nd high.....

will see how we go as ive got every confidence in his skills building diffs.....

I have one of the clutches fitted...

You have to be a little bit more delicate with clutch actions because they really do grip, but it has good manners in traffic and apart from feeling it grip when the old clutch would allow a little more slip, it behaves just like normal.

I would suggest it will be ideal for any upgraded engine or someone who tows heavy loads etc.

I've kept the DMF because it was added originally for a reason and want to keep the recon gearbox from Ashcroft in good order for the next 100k or so....

Neil

Me on holiday :D .....DIY knocking bathroom about :(:lol:

OK

I used to kill clutches, either spin the plate = toasted or even melt the clutch release unit as they are plastic.

Its not just a V8 thing, 200 / 300 too, as they have a much smaller clutch, and add some big simex, off road driving and maybe a tweak or 3 to the engine (lijke Alan Sharpe - he managed a clutch AN EVENT)

and youir clutch can die. also bear in mind sadly what we think of as high end brand names are now no longer trading and the trading name is bouight and your cluch comes from Chinindia ....

So, I had one of these units 14 years ago, and now sell them as replacement units, thats a Cover / Plate 6 paddle ceramic) and a solid centre + a stainless retainer clip to replace the silly plastic one

http://megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_offroad.php

Alan Sharpe where are you....last time I phoned and asked about the clutch he bought / fitted and it was "yeah fine nige" - and he just won the welsh !!) it is a fit and forget product, carp for me for repeat business :rofl:

I also think the pricing of genuine is madness, and the pattern stuff is dire, Mr V8Freak went through a "Good qulaity" pattern in double qwick time, hence why he has gone this route, it IS road fri9endly

His fitting also showed up the real need to also look / repalce the spigot bearing as when this lot goes on it WILL show up anything dying =- a new crank spigot is a fine idea - I will later have these as part of the kit - daft not to change whilst youi in there

Now, I will prob be flamed but

IF YOU FIT A SOLID FLYWHEEL / SPRUNG CLUTCH TO A TEDIOUS 5 ( :P) IT WILL HIGHLY LIKLEY EITHER DMAGE YOUR GEARBOX OR BREAK THE MAINSHAFT, YOU RERALLY NEED TO KEEP THE DMF IMVHO :)

back 2nd aprilish, but will PM original poster......

oh and :D

ive just preordered / prewarned nige that im about to fit one of his 6 paddle grips like **** on a fleece blankets to my really tuned TD5 as the current clutch doesnt like being clutch bumped in 2nd high.....

will see how we go as ive got every confidence in his skills building diffs.....

hats muchly for that Mike, much appreacited :) now, if only I had the same confidence in your driving and sympathy for drivetrain conponemts :P:rofl: :rofl: :P

Nige

^^

:rofl:

Hi Nige,

I have a question, my S1 V8 has a 9.5" clutch (Jag pressure plate IIRC) are the layshaft splines all the same i.e. do you think one of your Tedious clutches would fit on a RRC flywheel redrilled for 9.5"?

Cheers,

Marc

PS

Safe DIYing or is it only LR that you have a saftey issue with?

i only have a smidgen of mechanical sympathy, i thought id run the diffs for a year to allow the warranty to lapse before they get beat like a ginger step child........

its this reason i have RLM proof wheels, & soon to be a RLM proof clutch, Eh nige ........

@ marc, how many splines is the centre?

Not sure Ihave a spare gearbox so will check.

Nige,

Basically will a 9.5" Defender clutch fit a series box?

I see that a std S2/3 clutch is the same as a 90/110 petrol clutch and I am hoping that this compatible with your clutch?

Ah ha !

Understand now mark !

I think non I think the spline centres are thicker / different on a series main shaft to a 200/300 main shaft. ..

But can always do a special....need to have a old clutch centre to compare..sure I can get new spline centres series based. . (Clutch plates are all new)

Series 3 gearbox input splines are NOT the same as LT77 or R380. The 5 speeds use a fine, multi spline, the series uses a large course spline (10 spline iirc). Aside from the spline count they are otherwise identical.

They can be made - I had one made years ago for my V8 series 3 by the same supplier as Nige uses. It worked well.

Jon

IF YOU FIT A SOLID FLYWHEEL / SPRUNG CLUTCH TO A TEDIOUS 5 ( :P) IT WILL HIGHLY LIKLEY EITHER DMAGE YOUR GEARBOX OR BREAK THE MAINSHAFT, YOU RERALLY NEED TO KEEP THE DMF IMVHO :)

I'll second that emotion....I work on the "inside" of the clutch business now for one of the biggest companies out there - so have seen the evidence of the damage that can be caused.

Hi all, I did speak with rakeway after they didn't return my e mail, I found them very helpfull and listened / offered good advice,

I didn't use there parts in the end due to the fact they run solid flywheels, which I have decided not to do again,

I have purchased a super slinky kit from Nige now, and dips going in this Friday, so will report back then, I'm quite happy looking at all the shiney bits to be honest though :0))

Full report over the weekend chaps !