Welding Gas Regulator Help

Maverik

Hi folks, I've just upgraded to a big boys gas bottle for my SIP 130 and was looking for some advice on regulators.

I've done some googling, but not really found any clear answers to my questions...

I've got this:

post-20087-0-69826200-1396266785_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-81205500-1396266806_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm looking for some kind of conversion regulator...

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to share on the subject at all?

Thank you

Mav

Its a Hobby weld 9ltr bottle, hmm I see, so rather than using the exisiting pipe fitting you get a new quick release fitting in the kit... na rocket science after all.

hmmm my assumptions of using the original fittings was the problem, if you change that then it should be easy.

Cheers chaps

I have hobby weld too, did you go for the 15 or 5? I went for the 15 last time and couldn't believe how much it dug in, bodywork was impossible. This time I went for the 5 but it seems to be sitting on the top a little on thick stuff. Not as good as the BOC universal, I keep meaning to look up what % it is, but a heck of a lot cheaper for a light user like me. I have a SIP 170P so similar setup :)

You need a standard regulator like you would get from BOC etc, any welding shop will sell them, probably around £50 though! I like a 2 gauge one so that you can see pressure and flow but you don't need it. I put a PCL on the out as it's what I had so that I can unplug it quickly to move it. I tried those little disposable bottles at first but soon got fed up :)

My tip is to bungee it to your bench, my mrs knocked mine over with the car and broke the regulator off :angry2:

Hobbyweld 5 = 93%AR, 5% CO2, 2% O2. For steel under 7mm thick.

Hobbyweld 15 = AR 83%, CO2 15%, O2 2%. For steel between 5mm & 18mm.

Looks like the boc universal is 12% CO2 2% oxygen which I guess makes sense as the co2 is between the two.

Guess I ought have a bottle of each, it's only the one off deposit you have to pay out after all :)

I've gone for the Hobby 5, If I struggle with it then I'll just go back to gas-less which I've been using for a couple of years now. I know it works and I know I can weld reasonably well with it, I thought I'd give gas a go as I'm trying to make my repairs a little less time intensive, i.e trying not to have to do so much tidy up after the welding, you get a lot of spatter with the gas-less, - its also pretty ugly and been struggling to find some wire that doesn't cause so much porosity.

Thanks for the info and pictures all. - very helpful. I've just put an order in for the one JeffR pointed out, will post up how I get on with the gas.

Its mainly going to be plate around 1.2 - 3mm thick interested to see how it gets on with it.

I'm going to go for the 5 when I resurrect the mig with a new liner in the torch, screws to hold the cover over the works and some new wheels. It was only the cylinder rent that made it get put away. There is a Hobbyweld agent just over a mile away from home and an Acetylene is already on order so that the BOC acetylene can go back as I think next week end will see it empty as I have some steel plates to flange for a new tender for my steamer.

Hi Maverick,

You could consider using a regulator mounted argon flow-meter (you can pick them up for around £12-15), although the gauges on a dual gauge regulator provide the flow-rate, a proper flow-meter will give you an accurate reading which could save you a bit of money on your gas consumption - as well as giving you the ability for a bit of fine tuning.

I'm going to go for the 5 when I resurrect the mig with a new liner in the torch, screws to hold the cover over the works and some new wheels. It was only the cylinder rent that made it get put away. There is a Hobbyweld agent just over a mile away from home and an Acetylene is already on order so that the BOC acetylene can go back as I think next week end will see it empty as I have some steel plates to flange for a new tender for my steamer.

Phil I got my liner from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161204741051 and it's silly cheap and works really well too

and Chris i got my regulator from here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Argon-Co2-mix-or-Argon-Single-Stage-2-Gauge-Mig-Tig-Regulator-c-w-6mm-tail-/131140022571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e888df12b

hth

John

Yeah gasless you reverse the polarity, I did a few upgrades to my SIP after reading about them on the welding uk forum, one was to put a steel liner in. I think its a great little unit thats always giving me half decent results, although I've never used a super hot unit to know what a true good welding unit works like...

I just got my SIP dirt cheap as the previous owner blamed it for his poor welding... I saw some of his welding... - the machine must really of not liked him... or he was a little less skilled than he thought he was... :moglite:

I am by no means a welder but the only difference i've noticed between my migmate 170P and the ESAB Smashweld 250 that I sometimes use is the power (obviously), it uses 1mm wire so you get a bigger weld if you like and the consistency / reliability of the wire feed. It will also do stitch weld etc (not that i've ever used it). I can get a neater looking weld with the migmate usually, not sure if that's a good thing :D

I guess the main difference is it will keep going for longer without being touched, bigger gas bottle, bigger wire wheel, bigger duty cycle, better quality case and parts etc. The end result of sticking two bits of random car of unknown 'steel' together isn't any different in my opinion.

I already have the liner but just never fitted it before the set got laid up. As soon as my BOC oxygen & acetylene run out they are going back for a refund of rent and a Hobbyweld cylinder of acetylene is already asked for as the agent was out of stock.