toyota.. (yes i know, but read on)

qwakers

ive been watching this

and have counted the hilux and the land cruiser's major mechanical failures. there were at least 4 and the video ended with the land cruiser being towed home.

nothing they did would have challenged my discovery.

so what gives? i thought these trucks where supposed to be stronger than landrovers?

Well the owners say so. However you have to remove the engine and gearbox to fit the Lexus motor.

Then buy a complete suspension set-up, then you can match the Defender.

There was a guy at Kasane on a camp site. Proudly proclaiming that in the years he had his Cruzer that he had done NOTHING at all to it.

He was not pleased when I remarked that the brakes must be worn out.

His reply. "Well yes I've had the brakes done"

He wasn't amused with my comment

"I thought you'd done nothing to it"

I was told in NAmibia that Toyota spares were very difficult to get. Then if you did you couldn't afford them.

Made me think

Yes it is quite funny that never ending argument about what's strongest, however being on the Landy side really is the best because it is expected to fail, we never have to brag about how well it holds up to the abuse we put it through, because no-one thinks it will. So people can only be pleasantly surprised. Whereas the Nissans, Toys and Merc people always have to brag about how strong and solid and well engineered their cars are, because that is all they have to say about them!

Often when they confront me and tell me how bad a Landy is I say: "you're absolutely right! and I love it for breaking down all the time!" Then they usually look very confused, but I continue "You see that is why parts are cheaper and more readily available than to any other 4x4 by at least a factor of 10!" "Sure your LC can go for miles and miles without breaking, but eventually stuff will break, that's just the way of life, and when it does happen you can neither find nor afford parts" Then they get this weird looking sadness in their eyes :D

• Like 4

lol compare apples with apples.... brand new parts on a test bed, not anecdotal stuff

Based of anecdotal evidence I can say my 10 spline RRC 2 spider diffs are stronger than a Cruiser 9.5" head with an ARB fitted... I drove it, he lunched it lol the fact that I spun up and lunched the rear diff next weekend on a sheep rut .... hmmmm

I have my landy because it was cheap, and is a good base to work from.... I plan to buy another because of nostalgia lol

Oh and Soren your logic is missing 1 thing.... your parts might be cheaper but replacing things all the time doesn't make you any better off.... your still just as empty of pocket lol

Here is something to think on.... in NZ the Nissan saffari is (mostly) thought of as the most robust truck... yet everyone bag's them for being too heavy and over engineered lol well those that don't have them do

Impressed with where the driver of the jeep put that thing on street tyres lol doesn't seem to be worried about the plastic on it

in NZ the Nissan saffari is (mostly) thought of as the most robust truck... yet everyone bag's them for being too heavy and over engineered lol well those that don't have them do

Impressed with where the driver of the jeep put that thing on street tyres lol doesn't seem to be worried about the plastic on it

well of course they will be seemingly over engineered and heavy if they are robust :huh:

its just the circle of life, or something

The way they're conducting the recoveries I think tell you a lot about the vehicles and the drivers... made me wince more than once...

Yes it says a lot.

In Walvis Baay Namibia I was told by a Toyota driver that the recovery plate that Southdown supply for their tank guard was not up to the job. :moglite:

That driver took me to his Toyota bakkie. That's whats needed. PLEASE. NO laughing A tow ball welded to a deep drop plate....

He didn't like it when I said " No way would I allow you to recover me with that"

I speak from experience when I say Toyotas are no more reliable than land rovers when it really gets down to it the company I work for has both. the Toyotas do break down less but a standard hilux will not go where a standard defender will go even though the yotas have a locking rear diff. so when I say they break down less its because they drillers that drive them leave the Toyotas where they think they can get to and walk the rest of the way where as the guys driving the 110s just say I can get up that and put them in the most insane places so they break them more often. also I am with sorn £550!!! for a hilux front drive shaft and you can only get them one place....the dealer where as one of the landys breaks one in some remote location a couple of phone calls later oh we have one in stock £80-£100 job done.

The way they're conducting the recoveries I think tell you a lot about the vehicles and the drivers... made me wince more than once...

I saw a video of a recovery on LiveLeak today that would make sure you never stood that close. It's a bit too graphic to post here but lets just say two of the spectators will be going home in a wooden box :(

It's one of the less regulated sites on the 'net, there are links to the video in most of the facebook 4x4 groups today.

Basically there is a massive crowd of people grouped around a snatch recovery when the recovery point fails.