Bearmach drive flanges

Souster

^^^

And thats a recomendation ? :rofl::blink: ...........

Ashcroft are Made from EN24T and are worth the money, KAM were made of EN36 = also bludy tough

bearmach are cheap - doubt they are made from 24/36 ?

If these are the ones with caps then forget them, if they are the ashcroft types copies - then better than caps, but there is a reason they are cheap !

Nige

I'm not keen on fitting really tough drive flanges. Given how cheap and easy to replace they are I'd rather that be the weak link in the drive train as it kind of acts like a fuse protecting the diff etc.

I'm not keen on fitting really tough drive flanges. Given how cheap and easy to replace they are I'd rather that be the weak link in the drive train as it kind of acts like a fuse protecting the diff etc.

+1

Interesting thought !

However Whilst I would agree on say Std shafts, if your running KAM AS or Ashcroft I would say "Upgrade".

The std flanges can work loose very quickly and the shunting back and forth doesn't do the splines much good at all hardened or not !

The ashcroft flanges I had had to be "Tapped" onto the shafts, and never wore loose, the KAM AS and KAM flanges I have now seem the same

Nige

Having the screw on caps of the Ashcroft is great if you are going to be rubbing them along stuff :)

wow you must have bicycle width wheels/tyres to be able to rub the end of your drive members on stuff...

The ashcroft flanges I had had to be "Tapped" onto the shafts, and never wore loose, the KAM AS and KAM flanges I have now seem the same

Yes the newer (proper coated) KAM drive flanges are a very close fit i have to beat them on. My weak point now is the flange bolts (even running 12.9's) easily shear all 5 (new ones) in one go :)

I'm with Steve on this one, my wheels are as offset as anyone else's and you can see splines on all my drive flange caps.

Why they changed to rubbery plastic ones I'll never know, like the cooling system plugs, some bean counter got to overrule the engineers.

IMG_1993.jpg

Here's some nice drive flange carnage only wearers of a certain outdoor clothing will truly appreciate.

I think when a drive shaft and flange get to this state the fuse argument might become valid :-)

P5050015.jpg

P5050016.jpg

wow you must have bicycle width wheels/tyres to be able to rub the end of your drive members on stuff...

Yes the newer (proper coated) KAM drive flanges are a very close fit i have to beat them on. My weak point now is the flange bolts (even running 12.9's) easily shear all 5 (new ones) in one go :)

If you are experiencing loosening or shearing driveflange bolts, this indicates that the axle housing is slightly out of true, and the more precise fit of the better quality flanges don't allow the halfshaft to 'wobble' a little inside the flange to compensate. Loosening/shearing drive flange bolts was very rare on RangRover classics, despite the flanges being a rigid ,integral part of the halfshaft. This indicates that manufacturing quality control in producing straight axle housings back in the earlier days was much stricter than later on where the incidence of Disco's shearing bolts is much more common. I think there is something to be said for running original quality drive flanges and convert hubs to run oil not bloody grease ! Earlier oil lubed 110 Salisbury axles commonly lasted 300,000 kms or more before driveflanges got a bit sloppy. Yes, the splines were longer. but that is not the sole reason for their better longevity !

If you are experiencing loosening or shearing driveflange bolts, this indicates that the axle housing is slightly out of true, and the more precise fit of the better quality flanges don't allow the halfshaft to 'wobble' a little inside the flange to compensate. Loosening/shearing drive flange bolts was very rare on RangRover classics, despite the flanges being a rigid ,integral part of the halfshaft. This indicates that manufacturing quality control in producing straight axle housings back in the earlier days was much stricter than later on where the incidence of Disco's shearing bolts is much more common. I think there is something to be said for running original quality drive flanges and convert hubs to run oil not bloody grease ! Earlier oil lubed 110 Salisbury axles commonly lasted 300,000 kms or more before driveflanges got a bit sloppy. Yes, the splines were longer. but that is not the sole reason for their better longevity !

Now that's very likely. Nothing is straight or true on my truck any more...

Last time I sheared all the bolts the half shaft let go at the same time.