After Christmas treasure hunt

GBMUD

Chris

From the other thread, think the next on the wait list was tpk241 ??

I am definately interested ... any places left ?

and

Thanks for letting me know ..

I'll wait and see .. but will probably turn up for a gander regardless ..

Cheers

TPK

only trying to help !!! :ph34r:

Hmmm. Define big. 6ft 4". I'm told I look like a rugby player, but I've never played.

No-one has my mobile number as I'm pretty new to all this. My 110 was at Broxhead Common a few days ago, so if anyone else was there and happened to see a clean blue 110 becoming ever-so-slightly muddy (took me 2 hours just to clean the engine...), it was probably me.

I've made other plans for the 30th. Not LR related, unfortunately. <_<

Looking forward to another Treasure Hunt / greenlane day etc in 2007. I'll get my name down early this time.

Have a great day!!

What a great day!

9 am saw bacon butties and coffee surved with Stonehenge as a backdrop. Mild dry and sunny weather too :blink: ! Bumped in to a few familiar faces and received / gave out the ritual abuse that gies hand in hand with these get togethers!

10am and we trundled off with Jen and Dan in their Camel to hit the lanes on the plain. 7 1/2 fun filled hours later, and LOTS of water :D:D:D we rolled up at the pub.

Fantastic laning, no damage and unfortunately no photos, other than one of stonehenge which I am sure you have all seen before! I think Jen and Dan took some though and I am sure they will be along shortly. :rolleyes:

Big big thanks to Chris for setting it all up. We got most of the clues and pictures as we went round but there were a few that baffled us - eyes on the tank - I think it was two but I stand to be corrected :wacko:

Also thanks to Jen and Dan for good company all day. :D

I can only think of one thing I would change for next time - a pub that is open at the end! :lol::lol:

Right then, who's got piccies?

Would like to second Bish's comments above,, excellent day, THANKS YOU Chris, you put a lot of work and effort into the route & paperwork

Again, forgot to use the camera !!

No damage, well just the rear lamp guard pulled/fell off, and thats a "shinny" will let you know, when the truck gets washed !! whats the paintwork like !!

Well also recon on 2 "eyes", best we all mail Chris our answers !!

Thanks Chris for the bacon sarnies and tea, went down a treat after a 5-30am start, thanks also for sorting the route it must have taken a lot of your spare time sorting route and the lagalities of whether we could drive them. Don't worry that we couldn't finish the whole route, much better than not having enough lanes to drive! Shame about the pub being closed, but that one out of your control.

Big thanks to Jim for pulling me out of the water, the Nas has had a severe telling off but reckons the drivers pre-sortie inspection / clean-up was at fault! Could be right since there was 2 week-ends worth of Slindon mud in the dizzy, oops.

Oh, and Jim the rope you used was big enough to pull the QE2 and as for the shackles....................

Chris, must do the same next year pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Fantastic day. Huge thanks to Chris et al for all the work. Darren and I had a great time - followed the route exactly and were about 3/4 of an hour from Shaftsbury when the call to finish early came in. Windmill hill was interesting as was Cherhill and some of the water on the plane was really too deep for comfort with no snorkel.

I gather Jim found my CB aerial - thanks mate!

Cheers Chris - top day

Chris.. Excellent.... Excellent and bloody great fun too......

Your hard work was very evident. Excellent overlays, great clues, altogether it was a hit in my books.

Some of the water was a little deeper than I would have played with on my own, but since there were others having a go, who could say no !!!

Rupert was over the moon so I think it was big hit with him too....

Nice to meet some new faces and put names/faces to the messages.

Paul and Lorraine.. I do hope we weren't too boring or frightening, but thanks for putting your lives in our hands ! :) (They were our passengers for the day)

Thankfully Rupert did take some (not many) pictures. I will grab them off him tomorrow and post them on this thread.

If this is likely to be happening next year.. Book us up and we'll be there.... If you want to do a summer edition too, sign us up and we'll be there !!!

(Car gets a bloomin good clean tomorrow and see if there is anything that needs a tweak....)

Neil

Chris a superb day thank you, obviously alot of hard work and prior prep had gone into the day and it was worth it, even if we didnt get to the end! BigSi and all the other marshalls cheers for being on hand to help out as required, certainly a reasurring feeiling when Tims in your group.

Tony, Tim, V8Freak, cheers for good company throughout the day and the 'are you sure its that way comments'

Whens the next Treasure Hunt,. how about a Jan one.......

Chris - Thank you.

Chris, I would just like to echo everyones comments and say thanks for an excellent day! Some superb lanes, and some tricky clues. Had one minor stuck, which had to happen with an audience of quad bikers! Also we skipped the 'really deep ruts' bit due to our skateboard size tyres...

Darren and I had a great time - followed the route exactly and were about 3/4 of an hour from Shaftsbury when the call to finish early came in. Windmill hill was interesting as was Cherhill and some of the water on the plane was really too deep for comfort with no snorkel.

Followed the route exactly? Not from where we were sitting! :lol: Glad to be of service in testing water depths... must get a snorkel one day... :blink:

Thanks again

Mark

Guest diesel_jim
I gather Jim found my CB aerial - thanks mate!

Ahhh...yeah.... that aerial i found... umm.... funnily enough i snapped the whip on mine about 10 minutes after i found yours (was it orange?) so yours was kind of "modified" to fit my loading coil.

I owe you a whip! :blink::ph34r::ph34r:

hmmm... on re-reading the above line, i think i need to change the text a bit... :D

First post. I was Neil's co-pilot for the day. I Thought I should take the opportunity to say Thank you for organizing an excellent day in the mud. Do we get the answers to the questions, Since you put so much time into preparing them?

Too bad that the pub was closed at weekends :huh:

Rupert

post-2566-1167583781_thumb.jpg

Here are the pictures Rupert took yesterday....

I make no apologies for the number of pictures. :)

Hopefully these represent a great day for many people.....

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

Looked at the car this morning....

Dirty110.JPG

Dirtyengine1.JPG

Dirtyengine2.JPG

Didn't take long to get most of Wiltshire off the car though....

Clean110.JPG

A fantastic day, great luck with the weather and well organised.

Well done Chris...

Thanks everyone for coming and for having a good time. :) A really big thanks to the marshals who turned out to help if needed - and fortunately were not, for the most part. I am only aware of one recovery and that was (you guessed it) pulling a V8 out of a puddle. Thanks Diesel_Jim for lending your V8 repair kit (industrial sized WD40 and a rag) too. :D

Thank you all for your kind comments. It did turn out to be harder work than I had imagined to arrange - I had a good day in the end though. :) I would love to do it again, perhaps I can make a slightly more relaxed itinerary next time and we can all get to an OPEN pub at a reasonable hour - sorry about that. Sorry too that I could not have done more about the afternoon weather.

The only trouble with planning for future events is that the Army Training area is closed on many weekends and often there is no more than a few weeks notice. IIRC they open it all for the whole of August so perhaps a summer one might be in order. If I can see into the future I might try to do one in the spring but expect only 2-3 weeks notice. Alternatively we could avoid using the training area at all which might be easier.

One other thing, thanks for keeping in small groups rather than bunching up. I was somewhat dismayed to witness another group of 8 cars together and to hear about another of, wait for it, 11 cars! :o If you were one of them and you read this, shame on you. When all the lanes are gone it will be you guys who contributed to it in a large part.

I have attached the answer sheet below. I do not think anyone got as far as photo9 or past clue9. Mark your own sheets, honesty please!

Treasure Hunt 2006

Question Sheet.

The following questions can be answered, in order, by spotting items or clues on your way around the route. They may not be spaced evenly however…

Write your answers on this sheet for later inspection.

1. Coming to Wiltshire, “NO DOGS PLEASE”. Why?

Notice on a tree at the county boundary about 400m into the first lane about ground nesting birds, Cholderton estate

2. Bridge Number?

114 40 marked on A303 underpass

3. I bag his warn?

Anagram of WAIGHTS BARN house sign at and of overlay 1 – sorry about the missing T and the extra I, I blame my daughter who came up with the anagram - I suspect I was at fault though.

4. What is Daisy’s house made of?

Wooden stable in a field beside the byway. It had a sign on saying “Daisy’s house”

5. In case of loose vapours, who ya gonna call?

Countrywide emergency service 01386 750330 – emergency notice on a gas tank beside the route.

6. Application number K/55646/F, but for what?

Planning application for extension to barn. Just outside Avebury.

7. How many eyes on the tank?

Two lifting eyes on oil type tank beside route – there was apparently another but the one I had in mind was at SU050672

8. WD 28 is set in stone, but where?

SU031547 on a bit of stone/concrete with pain on.

9. Sum on the bunker?

20+20 painted onto a bunker beside route just onto SP

I will save the answers to the other clues and I can use them again if needed. 

Photo locations: Within 100 meters either way is OK to allow for map reading error.

1. SU194480

2. SU183560

3. SU058682

4. SU033545

5. SU068471

6. SU023455

7. SU022418

8. SU025415 ~ near enough is good enough.

Thanks again everyone, it was great to meet you all/see you again. :D Happy new year.

Chris

Thanks everyone for coming and for having a good time. :) A really big thanks to the marshals who turned out to help if needed - and fortunately were not, for the most part. I am only aware of one recovery and that was (you guessed it) pulling a V8 out of a puddle. Thanks Diesel_Jim for lending your V8 repair kit (industrial sized WD40 and a rag) too. :D

Thank you all for your kind comments. It did turn out to be harder work than I had imagined to arrange - I had a good day in the end though. :) I would love to do it again, perhaps I can make a slightly more relaxed itinerary next time and we can all get to an OPEN pub at a reasonable hour - sorry about that. Sorry too that I could not have done more about the afternoon weather.

The only trouble with planning for future events is that the Army Training area is closed on many weekends and often there is no more than a few weeks notice. IIRC they open it all for the whole of August so perhaps a summer one might be in order. If I can see into the future I might try to do one in the spring but expect only 2-3 weeks notice. Alternatively we could avoid using the training area at all which might be easier.

One other thing, thanks for keeping in small groups rather than bunching up. I was somewhat dismayed to witness another group of 8 cars together and to hear about another of, wait for it, 11 cars! :o If you were one of them and you read this, shame on you. When all the lanes are gone it will be you guys who contributed to it in a large part.

I have attached the answer sheet below. I do not think anyone got as far as photo9 or past clue9. Mark your own sheets, honesty please!

Treasure Hunt 2006

Question Sheet.

The following questions can be answered, in order, by spotting items or clues on your way around the route. They may not be spaced evenly however…

Write your answers on this sheet for later inspection.

1. Coming to Wiltshire, “NO DOGS PLEASE”. Why?

Notice on a tree at the county boundary about 400m into the first lane about ground nesting birds, Cholderton estate

2. Bridge Number?

114 40 marked on A303 underpass

3. I bag his warn?

Anagram of WAIGHTS BARN house sign at and of overlay 1 – sorry about the missing T and the extra I, I blame my daughter who came up with the anagram - I suspect I was at fault though.

4. What is Daisy’s house made of?

Wooden stable in a field beside the byway. It had a sign on saying “Daisy’s house”

5. In case of loose vapours, who ya gonna call?

Countrywide emergency service 01386 750330 – emergency notice on a gas tank beside the route.

6. Application number K/55646/F, but for what?

Planning application for extension to barn. Just outside Avebury.

7. How many eyes on the tank?

Two lifting eyes on oil type tank beside route – there was apparently another but the one I had in mind was at SU050672

8. WD 28 is set in stone, but where?

SU031547 on a bit of stone/concrete with pain on.

9. Sum on the bunker?

20+20 painted onto a bunker beside route just onto SP

I will save the answers to the other clues and I can use them again if needed. 

Photo locations: Within 100 meters either way is OK to allow for map reading error.

1. SU194480

2. SU183560

3. SU058682

4. SU033545

5. SU068471

6. SU023455

7. SU022418

8. SU025415 ~ near enough is good enough.

Thanks again everyone, it was great to meet you all/see you again. :D Happy new year.

Chris

Q10 Last post at SP5 47? - The NAS90 team were looking at every post box at the end or near to end of every lane and we still don't know if we were supposed to find a post box! Doh!

Q10 Last post at SP5 47? - The NAS90 team were looking at every post box at the end or near to end of every lane and we still don't know if we were supposed to find a post box! Doh!

You were but, as explained, all answers were in chronological order.

Chris

Just to add my thanks for a superb day out. Even though I was not taking part in the treasure hunt as such, I had a great time. I had forgotten how much fun Salisbury Plain and the Wiltshire lanes can be. Thanks also to Les Henson for tagging along and putting up with my driving so I didn't have to talk to myself all day :blink::unsure::D

Now I have the route on my PDA (if I can remember how to get it to work :rolleyes: ) I may try some of the lanes again at some stage.

Definately count me in for the next one.

I have all the overlays traced onto hard copy and onto MM so I am going to run all the 'open bits' again just for the laugh

I honestly haven't had so much fun 'laning since Driving Force and the Ebble Valley Trail.

Mind you, the tide mark inside the footwells and the rear load bed of 'Sophie' (yes my daughter gave the 100" a name!) is a bit scarey... Maybe I should break the tradition and fit a snorkel.