what wheels?

miketomcat

I'm going to need some wheels for the ibex. Tyres will be bfg km2's probably 285/75x16 (33") but i may go up to 35". So the question is what wheels the ibex is 110 size so load rating needs to be to that level and I don't like 15" but would consider larger. so what options are there? Is steel better than alloy (i will be off roading it)?

Oh and I'm limiting it to defender/disco 1 fitment as I don't want spacers.

Mike

I like daan's they look great on a landy not sure they suit the ibex though plus they're not exactly off the self (believe me I've got enough to be getting on with). Wolf's again great wheels but not wide enough for 285's.

I could live with modulars but wondered if there was something better and want input on what's what.

Mike

I guess it comes down to cost and what you want.

Personally I not so keen on alloys on this type of vehicle, they never seem to look as good as steel wheels. Also they are more easily damaged off road. So my pick would be steels.

However the choice is somewhat limited to 8 spokes (which I like), modulars, D spoke and Landy original and copies. And the Mach 5's and copies. You might find some obscure ones such as Wolfrace or something, although most like that were 15" for the US market.

Does offset matter? And do you want/need full steering lock? If so this will have some limitation on what to get. You might also want to consider some 255/85R16's over the 285's. Not as wide, but means you can run a narrower rim and get more steering lock. And are marginally taller than 285's.

The ibex was designed with 285's in mind it has massive wheel arches that really need 285's or bigger to fill them.

I like mach 5's though I believe there no longer made are the challenger copys any good? I haven't ruled out alloys but choice here seems to be limited due to load rating.

Mike

Yeah sorry, forgot about load rating.

Just as an FYI

255/85R16 = 33.07"

285/75R16 = 32.83"

So side on, they should fill the arch slightly better. And only look narrower (which they are), head on.

255/85's will also be fine on a 6.5 - 8j rim. While 285/75's want a 7.5 - 9j rim. Which means you could run a Wolfe rim, although the offset on these doesn't stick them out very far, so might not "fill" the arches unless you run 1" wheel spacers too.

A few choices here:

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/index_packages.php?ManID=32&catname=Steel-Wheels&id=309

And some info I compiled:

LRRimoffset.png

From the pics in your build story it looks like that your current wheels only just fit inside the wheel arches, width wise, so that might be a consideration when it comes to the 'you know what' test. other than that, the 255/85/16 is a good size, and gives you plenty of wheels to choose from.

Daan

Mike....

If you want to see what 255/85/ R16 KM2's on boosts look like before you commit I can pop down one weekend for a coffee and hobnob and pop my spare or two wheels off mine onto the Ibex to see how it looks.....

Will give you an idea how the tyre could fill the arch etc.??

Neil

You know I'm going to say Mach5s, so let's just take that bit as read...

ISTR that Matt made Mach5 with a particular offset to fill the Ibex wheelarch, but I don't remember the details. Maybe buried in the Ibex mailing list archive somewhere?

Without a decent offset, or spacers to suit, you're going to have a pretty poor turning circle with that wheelbase.

Dave

Your both more than welcome to pop in for coffee but I'll be putting 285's on for two reasons first I'm running that size on 45 and second I like the look of the wider tyres on an ibex.

Dave I knew you'd say mach 5 that's one reason I'm interested in the challenger's.

Mike

Black modulars!

Surely Mach5's are a bit spendy and from what I've heard they're made in China these days, or by that bloke who came up to us at Sodbury and claimed to have bought the chap's jigs and whatnot and was churning them out in his shed. I don't remember being overly impressed by his welding :mellow:

i use 8.5x16 compomotive rims they were landrover supplied for some vehicles and are load rated for 110 i, mine have stuck some serious enough offroading and looking a bit scruffy now still run straight and true .i have seen a few sets go for sensible money on ebay

i think they are atrr 1685

Dave I knew you'd say mach 5 that's one reason I'm interested in the challenger's.

None of my business what you fit, but as the former owner of a stretch limo, I will not miss the opportunity to rip the urine the first time you have to do a three point turn on a mini roundabout.

None of my business what you fit, but as the former owner of a stretch limo, I will not miss the opportunity to rip the urine the first time you have to do a three point turn on a mini roundabout.

Look on the bright side you can sit and look at the scenery while you wait for me then fridge to get round. ??

Seriously though it's a very good point perhaps a closer look at that list above is required.

Mike

These http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=7x16-Black-Challenger-5x165.1-ET-25-(Land-Rover)&id=31432

31432_1_l.jpg

Will give you loads of steering lock. Look at the table I posted, the offset is ET-25, this means they stick out a long way from the body. And thus easy to get full lock, even with wider tyres. Although technically a 285 would want a 7.5j rim and these are only 7j.

Although technically a 285 would want a 7.5j rim and these are only 7j.

If we're allowing squeezing them onto 7" rims, then no question - the alloys from the current WMIK. 1550kg rating and 35mm offset IIRC. If they were 7.5" I'd maybe even consider swapping out my Mach5s .