Springs.......

simonr

I seem to have struck a deal with a spring manufacturer to make me some 'Special' springs for a new product.

Since their prices are pretty good and the quality is quite unheard of in this market place:

The springs I'm using spend most of their life fully compressed (coil-bound). After 9 months like this, they have not sagged at all!

I wondered about asking them to make some regular LR springs. Now, I know there is no one single answer to springing for all vehicles - but it might be worth trying to boil down to half a dozen or so lengths & poundages and getting them to make some. I would be happy to guarantee they will not sag for at least a year of abuse. They should come out cheaper than most of the 'brighter coloured' springs too! (They will be grey powder-coated).

So, what length & poundage have you found works on your vehicle? How much does your truck weigh and what lift do (did) they give?

The product we're about to launch, will allow you to run slightly stiffer springs than you might otherwise consider to give you better road handling, without compromising, indeed, enhancing sprung articulation.

Cheers,

Si

For me standard length springs for a rangie would be excellent, would be very very interested in stiffer springs, which would increase droop and possibly bump- would be the answer to a very large number of questions i have at the moment!

could you rip off the max :ph34r: traction springs please as i like that they don't dislocate! :D

Could do - but what I have is better in a number of respects! More travel, shorter coil-bound length, stiffer on the road etc....

Nigel, For a one-off (two off) it is about £150 a pair plus vat (and that's the cost to me!). The cost drops dramatically for larger quantities though.

Si

Si, IMHO I wouldn't go too hard as OME have got that end of the market pretty well sorted. However, what I'd like to see is a spring arround 200 - 210 ft/lb in a length to suit a winched, armoured and caged vehicle. I was, in fact, going to talk to you about who you were using for springs as I thought I might speak to them about doing me a one off set.

P.S. Is there a better coating for springs than powder coating?

Si, IMHO I wouldn't go too hard as OME have got that end of the market pretty well sorted. However, what I'd like to see is a spring arround 200 - 210 ft/lb in a length to suit a winched, armoured and caged vehicle. I was, in fact, going to talk to you about who you were using for springs as I thought I might speak to them about doing me a one off set.

P.S. Is there a better coating for springs than powder coating?

I'll PM you the contact details for the company.

There are better coatings for springs - but other than looking bling, what's the point? They are NEVER going to rust through in the life of your vehicle.

You could get them coated in PU?

Si

I seem to have struck a deal with a spring manufacturer to make me some 'Special' springs for a new product.

Since their prices are pretty good and the quality is quite unheard of in this market place:

The springs I'm using spend most of their life fully compressed (coil-bound). After 9 months like this, they have not sagged at all!

I wondered about asking them to make some regular LR springs. Now, I know there is no one single answer to springing for all vehicles - but it might be worth trying to boil down to half a dozen or so lengths & poundages and getting them to make some. I would be happy to guarantee they will not sag for at least a year of abuse. They should come out cheaper than most of the 'brighter coloured' springs too! (They will be grey powder-coated).

So, what length & poundage have you found works on your vehicle? How much does your truck weigh and what lift do (did) they give?

The product we're about to launch, will allow you to run slightly stiffer springs than you might otherwise consider to give you better road handling, without compromising, indeed, enhancing sprung articulation.

Cheers,

Si

Si, by "regular LR springs" do you really mean just that?

Now soft springs that spend their lives fully compresses and sit above a standard spring that come into play on extreme droop might be one option (but Moglite has tried that with mixed results).

Better though might be some dual rate springs that provide the mix of a long free length with a tender spot at arround normal ride height above which they act more like road springs would be nice, good articulation, better roll resistance on side slopes and acceptable road performance. All in a package that still has a fully comprressed length of under 5" :D

I would be interested in a pair of springs that are the same free length as Red/Whites but were heavier poundage. I can only guess at what though.

I have red/whites all round with a tdi and at the minute the truck sits level, I would like to keep the truck level when the winch and bumper goes on :)

Lewis

I was thinking along similar lines - I would like something the same free length as red/whites but stiffer. I have red/whites all round (with 2" spacers on the rear), and as it stands, the vehicle is level, but as soon as you fill it up with fuel, recovery gear, lunch etc, there is a definate tendancy for the back end to dip.

I have something for you anyway, so will probably drop in tomorrow and discuss if you are around.

ta

Mark

Now soft springs that spend their lives fully compresses and sit above a standard spring that come into play on extreme droop might be one option (but Moglite has tried that with mixed results).

I don't think Moglite has tried what I'm doing - my results have been mixed too - good and bl@@dy good!

Don't write it off until you know what I'm doing.

Red & White springs are about 170 lb/in and about 17" long.

Si

Don't write it off until you know what I'm doing.

Red & White springs are about 170 lb/in and about 17" long.

Si

I've just taken my Red/White front springs off, i found them to soft on my challenge motor, i could do with a spring about 210lbs and 17/18'' long.

I'd be interested in try'in out your new design in next years awdc series ;) plug plug :lol:

I've just taken my Red/White front springs off, i found them to soft on my challenge motor, i could do with a spring about 210lbs and 17/18'' long.

I'd be interested in try'in out your new design in next years awdc series ;) plug plug :lol:

Hmmmm, seems like a few of us want something arround the 200 - 210 lb/ft mark. Hint hint, nudge nudge ;)

Trev, Si's doing something very differant to Andy and its a bloody good idea! I've had my eye on it for a while now and its what I intend to run front and back.

Simon,

I have been using Famous Four springs for a number of years. They have the same free length as the standard Land Rover springs fitted to NAS90 (Defender), however, the wire diameter is much thicker and give an honest 1 inch lift due to the higher spring rate. My Ranchos will accept longer springs so for me a slightly longer and slightly higher spring rate than standard will do very nicely. This second set of springs have sagged very quickly on the rear springs, but I have been towing more in the last 12 months than I have ever towed in the first 9 years of Nas90 ownership. Famous Four springs are not cheap so a set of springs that retain their characteristics would be financially a lot better!