roll over damage

Hi guys,

So yesterday I had a small roll with my 90. End result included damage to the front drivers mudguard and rear part of the hard top. The mudguard doesn't bother me at all. But the hard top damage really bugs me. Any ideas how I can repair it without removing the roof?

Personally I'd leave it in situ - fastened and braced to fit the vehicle where it should be - and get inside and start a careful process of pushing, jamming, wedging and tapping to get the worst of it straightened out. Trying to do it on the ground with it wandering all over the place, getting scratched and even more messed up would not fill me with inspiration.

I'd be looking at a tactically placed bottle jack and some big lumps of wood to try persuade everything back to the place it once was, the main roof deflection downwards could be the hardest bit as the gutters on the early roofs where galvy steel so a bit stiffer., but you should be able to go a fair way to improve.

Not everyone has those kinds of skills.

I know if i attempted to botch that, i wouldnt be able to look at it every day. Especially as panels arent exactly rare or particularly expensive as the link i posted proves.

Horses for courses i guess.... :)

as above unless you know what you are doing, then replacement panels painted are the way to go, unless you don't mind that been through a hedge look.

To reshape aluminum is difficult as it needs careful heating once stretched. then body filler and a repaint. As some on says you could use various tools. couple of G clamps and some angle may straighten the side up reasonably. The roof though I'd avoid anything too pointy as you may end up with more ripples/dents. If you can get the roof off tip it upside down and put some thick underlay or rugs under it you could try putting some weight on the damage with your trainers on then finish up the corner with a rubber/wooden mallet and some straight pieces of wood.

New roof and sides would make it look mint again ....... however, if your 90 is purely an off road toy with a good chance of ending up on it's side again then I'd just get it kind of straight using some jacks and blocks of wood.

On a side note how big is your garage? It looks massive :)

Beat it out a bit and skin it with thin ally via pop rivets.

They catch it there so often on trees I'd go the other way and get a couple pieces of 3mm ally press-braked into a quarter pipe and rivet that on, for the whole length. (I'd say rolled, but that would be quite a long roller set).

what better practice for panel beating than this? even if it looks a complete mess after you are no worse off than before money wise and then you can still opt for a replacement with new experience under your belt. just be sure to anneal the ali before beating it as it work hardens and will crack under the reshaping process otherwise.

i had a go on my rear tub yesterday thinking i would make a complete mess, the dent was an inch and a half deep crease all the way from the barrel down to the wheelarch where a mate backed into me, having annealed it and set going on it using a hammer and a dixon bate drop hitch as a dolly (straight and long) it didnt half come out bad, in fact its that acceptable that im leaving it for now as filler and paint isnt so urgent. (ill respray them after my doors to make sure i have enough paint for them first haha

So I tried some panel beating work (for the first time ever) on the roof.. didnt have any large pieces of wood to be able to use any jacks, and didn't have any backing plates to use.. so resorted to using a piece of flat bar and my trusty hammer :) the result isn't perfect but it's enough for today.. I very much doubt that the side panel is repairable in place as it just pops in and out quite freely :/

The side does look like it's a bit hard bit to put right. If you can lay hands on some 50x50x3mm ally angle for a new corner post you can maybe G-clamp pull the corner out to it and bolt/rivet in place? But a new side is probably easier. If I could use shrinking hammer it would probably be a very handy landy skill :)

• 2 weeks later...