Should I or shouldn't I ??

Hello

I'm a newbie to the site and a newbie to the landrover defender. Ive had toyota hilux a for around 3 years and wanting to move to the dark side.

Very close to me a defender has come up for sale here's the speck and whats been done etc....

Two seater truck version 1991, New Discs New Pads, New Calipers, all new break pipe front to back, New rear Ball Joint , Disco 24 spline axels, Td5 Gear Box and Transfer Box, 2 inch Body Lift , Detachable Steering Wheel, Raptor Dash with Oil Temp , Rev Counter, Boost Gauges, Oil Pressure Gauges, and CB , and Stereo, Auxiliary Webasto Night Heater , Warn M8274 Winch, 300Tdi Disco Engine, Wading Kit, Cubby Box, Steering Guard, Roof Spots, Rear Working Lights, Rear Dislocation Cones , Insta Turbo Tyres , Roll Cage, SafeTpedal Lock, Light Guards Front and Back, Home Made Snorkel, Wires from wing tops to top of roll cage to deflect tree branches, Auxiliary Battery in tub with split charger, Bespoke Gear Box Tunnel, £3000,

I test drove it I'm 6ft5 yes a little small on space but everything seemed okay, 150k on the engine, however I tried the hi and low and soon as I went to change gear it always popped out so this made me nervous. I'm still tempted but was wanting to hear people's opinion. Sorry for the long message but hopefully someone can shine some good or bad light pleeeeease.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Personally I would be looking to buy a good standard 94-98 300tdi 90 with no modifications or chequerplate. I'd certainly be avoiding disco engine conversions, 2" lifts and the like unless you want a project putting it all right. I occasionally look on ebay at cheap defenders just to see how badly people will bodge in a disco engine!

• Like 1

No, just no!!!

That is a pretty asking price for sure but the only other sure thing is that you will get a ton of grief with it in the event of DVLA/VOSA, oh and it is at that golden 40 now so must be attractive as a "free tax" car, just wait for the day when that comes in and it gets a points analysis to verify it's status, big can of worms to be left well and truly alone if you want an easy life.

You know, there is actually the "OTHER" option?

Buy it and take it straight for an SVA/IVA and to hell and high water with the original documents, it looks to be in order and potentially it might be just what you are after, look at the equipment list, roll cage(not cheap), winch(not cheap) wheels and tyres(not cheap), if you buy a std 90 then kit it out it might cost you a heck of a lot more!!! Obviously, this depends on whether you actually want a challenge truck over a more than capable shopping trolley :hysterical:

Having thought about it a little this morning I personally would go down the IVA/SVA route and buy it if it were me in hind sight, and seeing the pics makes that idea very appealing now!

Its a Series rear crossmember, so it's been converted to coils then. That means it's lost 5 of the avliable 13 points, needing 8 to retain it's ID. Since we know the axles are disco not series, and the engine is not the original, there's no way it can be a legal conversion UNLESS it's from before 19-something-I've-forgotten-the-date-again

But...

What has happened to the original vehicle I.D.?

Why has the plate been changed?

Could be a few reasons but I'd want to be very sure it isn't someone's pride & joy that has been nicked & had the plates fitted from a scrapper.

Its a Series rear crossmember, so it's been converted to coils then. That means it's lost 5 of the avliable 13 points, needing 8 to retain it's ID. Since we know the axles are disco not series, and the engine is not the original, there's no way it can be a legal conversion UNLESS it's from before 19-something-I've-forgotten-the-date-again

I'm not 100% convinced on this. Nothing on any DVLA or VOSA site defines what these things are.

Suspension is not just the spring, we all know that well on here, but we still ignore it or forget.

Think about it, what does IRS or IFS stand for? Independent SUSPENSION.

A Series Land Rover and a Defender both fundamentally use the same live axle suspension systems. And both use upright oil/gas filled shocks mounted in the same fashion.

The only actual change to the suspension is the spring type.

So the spring type has changed, but has the suspension?

Let's not forget either that the axles are fundamentally the same also and even have interchangeable parts. The biggest difference being longer axle tubes and different internal seals.

For instance, there is no reason why you couldn't fit coil springs to the original chassis and axles by simple welding in perches/seats for them.

as soon as you start welding new bits onto the chassis it becomes modified, and you *could* lose your 5 points, it would depend on the person doing the checking and their interpretation of the rules

when i was reading up on this stuff a while ago i decided that i'd lose points on anything that wasnt a bolt-on replacement. so changing the axles on my series to coiler axles but using leaf springs would mean cutting and welding brackets on the axle case, so that would lose points. but upgrading my drum brakes to the larger 11" drums which was just a nut and bolt change was OK. the same for fitting parabolic leaf springs, they just bolt on with no mods needed, so the suspension part stays the same.

the engine i'm not sure on. it's still an inline, 4 cylinder diesel of similar capacity (less than 10% difference). it's quite clear that the 200 tdi descends from the 2.25 engines, the blocks are remarkably similar. i assume i've lost the points there though