Halfshafts/flanges wearing. Solution?

I recently bought a 2005 90 and, as well as a few other issues, the rear halfshaft and drive flange splines are showing advanced wear. I had the same issue on a previous 2004 110 and I gather that it is a common problem. Is there a solution to this problem? I do not want to spend loads on getting it fixed only to have the same thing recur later if possible. I assume that one-piece 300Tdi Discovery shafts don't fit?

TIA

Chris

oiled bearings is the ideal solution, thats how land rover designed the axles way back when

every oil seal added or specification change to grease since then has been to reduce leaks and maintenance

NB: this has not been without cost to lubrication and component longevity

I still use ep90 in my swivels after one time opening one up to find that in winter when it was assembled the grease had been thick enough to not fling up and lube the top bearing

Fit 300tdi discovery / defender 90 one piece rear half shafts - they fit fine, I did the same thing on a 2005 I had.

I think the two piece half shafts/ drive flanges on late td5 90's is due to axle rationalisation - I think they are the same as the late 110 with rover diff halfshaft setup so only one set of halfshafts needed to be produced, at the expense of driveline slop!

Our 2009 Tdci 90 has separate shafts and flanges on the rear, just like the front (surprised me). When I removed them to repair the diff, I found one had EP 90 inside from the diff, the other was dry and had rust powder and slightly more wear. So, I set about the seals in the stub axles (that seal against the half shaft) with a chisel to wreck them and sealed the plastic centre caps on the drive flanged with RTV sealant. No external leaks, and better lubrication of the wheel bearings and splines.

Thanks for the suggestions and experiences. It appears that one piece shafts are the sensible way to go so I have arranged to fit a set.

This thread has thrown up another question though. Is the rear differential the same type/size as the front? Or is it the same 'P38' type as fitted to post 2002MY 110s? I have an LSD previously fitted in a Discovery 1 axle which I plan to fit and that would throw a spanner in my works! I had assumed 'standard' Rover type.

Thanks

Chris

90s have the standard 24 spline diffs front and rear. 110s have a heavier rear diff, either the Salisbury until some point during the TD5 era (2002 as a guess, when they changed several other bits), and then the P38 type 4-pin diff.

90s have the standard 24 spline diffs front and rear.

.....errr not sure about that statement.... may be age related.... mine '89 90 v8 -> 10 spline up front, 2 pin, 24 spline HD (4-pin) rear.

suspect this question from memory has been covered a number of times before, can't find the post though despite search

Ah, that's a V8 spec issue I think, Rob. I'm pretty sure all diesel and 4cyl 90s have the same diffs front and rear, though Nige will probably be able to clarify that. I have also been told that the short nose special "P38" diff is only fitted on the rear of 4.6l V8 P38 models, all the others having standard diffs that match the front. If true, it seems only the high V8 spec versions of the 90 and RR get special rear diffs.

... it was more a case of I thought all front diffs (standard ones anyway on a defender / 90 / 110 / and all other variants...) were 10 spline... hence when upgrading to to 24 spline it requires new HD (aftermarket, KAM, ashcroft, etc) front 1/ shafts ... not sure if its an age thing.

Yes it is an age thing, somewhere around the crossover between 200 and 300TDI, so if on the cusp, you need to pull to make sure they are right.

As for P38 rear diff, close but no cigar, only the 4.6 had the 4-pin rear diff, the other engines had the 2-pin, but it was still a 'P38' type axle/diff combo, and NOT the same as the 90/110/Disco/RRC type commonly called the 'Rover' type diff, as it came from a Rover car from the 40s(!).

So, other arguments aside, my 2005 90 read diff is the smaller Rover type as opposed to the later larger Rover/P38 type fitted to a 110 of similar age? I knew about Salisbury being dropped for the 2002MY (51 plate on).

Thanks

Chris

Yes, the rear diff is the same as all 24 spline diffs on RRC, 90s, Discovery Is and the front of 110s. There is one detail difference that changed - retention of the cross pin used to be by a circlip at each end, but is now by a single roll pin.

• Like 1