I am not organising another greenlane trip

GBMUD

Chris,

Once I have a look at logistics I'm still seriously tempted by the Sunday. Also solves the problem of staying somewhere with the dog.

In terms of tyres I think they'd actually be less low profile (BFG don't do low profile). The only one that's available is in 285/55R20. The existing General Grabbers I have are 255/55R19 so would sit slightly higher as well. Need to do a bit of research into what's available wheel wise. Would be nice if the Wrangler MTRs were still made in 19 or 18" sizes. Seems Land Rover commissioned them to do a special run for the G4

Ah the first world issues of having a luxury car :-)

Chris can you let me have a list of lanes you do end up driving and maybe a one line report - please

Also please avoid the UCR at Hackpen Barton as I'm having a few issues with the landowner and some rather destructive 'laners - also the pool there is about mid windscreen deep at the moment

Of course David, I will try to be diligent in recording and assessing lanes I drive. I will ask any other user I see to do the same... ;)

I doubt that we will get as far NE as HB, and in any event I do not want to drown my Landrover! IIRC Bish and I drove that lane once and were surprised how deep the ford turned out to be!

Cheers

Chris

Edit: Yup, I am right, see the entry on wetroads.co.uk

Edited by GBMUD

Will aim to join you on Friday evening Chris. Got to be in Liskeard for 4 on Saturday so if we can head in that direction it would be useful! What time are you aiming to head off each morning?

What are you using for mapping these days? I've got Memory Map and have the very few byways from http://gis.devon.gov.uk/basedata/viewer.asp?DCCService=footpath plotted on there, but that doesn't list UCR's etc. unfortunately.

Looking forward to it, just hoping the starter motor behaves!

Richard

Hi Chris, to confirm call earlier i will be along Sat evening to join you.

OT: those 20" BFGs i take it are ATs? i haev 275/55 GG ATs on mine they are a good tyre so far, comparable to performace with BFG AT.

Chris - yes it was MTRs on 19s that puncture.

OT: those 20" BFGs i take it are ATs? i haev 275/55 GG ATs on mine they are a good tyre so far, comparable to performace with BFG AT.

Chris - yes it was MTRs on 19s that puncture.

AT KO2. The UK website has just been updated I think and they are coming in July.

Putting some feelers out, looks like they'll fit once I find some rims. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the GGs, they haven't been bad but not as good as people have been saying in my opinion. Mind you I have come from 265/75R16 ATs the KM2s on the Defender...

great to catch up last night, hope you guys had a good day today. catch up next week.

ref tyres, i am growing to like the GG on the L322, i am running BFG Ats 235.85s on a 110 and 265.75s on a 90 so can make similar comparisons to yourself Ed. do you have a link to the 20"s please?

If you mean the tyres themselves from BFG - no details yet on their UK website but here's the US version:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details

http://social.bfgoodrichtires.com/BFG_KO2_Sizing+Availability.pdf

Some unscientific testing going on there as well...

Ideally I just want to increase the sidewall depth - there's a good thread on the Overland Journal's project LR4 (Disco 4 to us in the UK). There's a worrying picture showing the standard 19" wheels going over a rock and the tyre although it survived was crushed right down when crawling over. Hence why I want to increase sidewall depth. Not sure 20" are going to help with that though but I'd take BFG over GG at the moment.

James,

You commented that the back of my Disco seemed quite bouncy... today was the first time I got to look at the vehicle and found this.

So, I need a new rear quarter-light window and seal, and new rear shock (might as well be a pair), and maybe a new a-frame ball joint (though the knocking noise could have been this shock!).

Scott

post-11857-0-69798300-1426686684_thumb.jpg

James,

You commented that the back of my Disco seemed quite bouncy... today was the first time I got to look at the vehicle and found this.

So, I need a new rear quarter-light window and seal, and new rear shock (might as well be a pair), and maybe a new a-frame ball joint (though the knocking noise could have been this shock!).

Scott

Yeah I'd say that explains it!

Having said that...

Just got out from under the car changing the oil this evening, the rear propshaft has play in a UJ and in the slip joint, the front one just in the slip joint, the track rod is banana shaped, and the spare wheel carrier has cracked the bodywork where it bolts through.

Would be easier to just put the thing in the garage and admire it from a distance, instead of driving and enjoying it which seems to lead to inevitable maintenance :P