110 Suspension knocking my teeth out

Bish66

I have a 1985 ex-military 110 that I use regularly and have just fitted new suspension supplied by PA Blanchard.

I fitted HD springs - which I think was a mistake as the ride is now very harsh and the front seems to be much higher than before.

I hardly ever carry anything of significant weight and most of the time it is me by myself with nothing in the rear - plus its a softop so there is NO weight at the back.

I really want to improve the ride quality by fitting slightly softer springs and am getting confused, very easy with me!

Can somebody please tell me what springs I need to fit front and rear and part numbers if at all possible???

Thanks

Bish

You can use the soft springs, but if you load the car up too much it will sink and sit on the bump stops. The leveller strut,when working, would pump the suspension back up as you drove. However a lot of them packed up and didn't work!

As above Land Rover did away with the system and used progressive springs instead, though they can give a bit of an 'arse up' appearance when unloaded I think.

An alternative is the earlier soft springs but with air bags to help with heavy loads instead of the old leveller strut.

I also find reducing tyre pressure helps greatly if you are not loaded, this requires management however, if you want to load up you first need to up the pressure. Nothing worse than driving around at the silly pressures LR recommends which you only need when your GVM is 3500 kg

They fit a 90 but not a 110.

The 110 has bigger springs.

The purple/brown springs are now the new spec HD springs.

If you want a better ride go with the latest spec CSW springs.

Nrc8045 Yellow/yellow fronts both sides ( they are triple progressive rate )

BKB500300 green/white/white rear both sides (there are dual rate progressive rate)

these are far to soft to use without the load leveller strut, use these instead RKB101111

Agree with Ralph here. The original suggestion was for springs with the self leveller. These are way too soft if you don't have a leveller. I replaced mine, and removed the leveller with rkb101111 like Ralph and it is fine with them, sits well and handles empty and full well too.

Just noted that NRC6388 / NRC7000 require a load leveller.

I dont think my 110 has one of these, which would you suggest otherwise.

I ran these on my 110 with no load leveller. It was lovely. Comfortable on road, and loads of travel off road. Fine if you're not regularly chucking half a ton of sand in the back, but you said you didn't often carry heavy loads.

They fit a 90 but not a 110.

The 110 has bigger springs.

The purple/brown springs are now the new spec HD springs.

If you want a better ride go with the latest spec CSW springs.

Nrc8045 Yellow/yellow fronts both sides ( they are triple progressive rate )

BKB500300 green/white/white rear both sides (there are dual rate progressive rate)

You are right Chris, forgot that he was talking about a 90 which is lighter.

So there are two suggestions.

Chris suggested Nrc8045 Yellow/yellow fronts both sides ( they are triple progressive rate )

Matt and Old Hand suggested the RKB101111 Dino advise to use the front rubber tower isolation OEM items.
I prefer a slight compromise, soft enough to not rattle your teeth fillings out but firm enough to take the odd load and handle corners a bit better than full soft still.
Based on what Matt and Old hand suggested the RKB101111 does this, however what Chris suggested makes sense too.
I think it will be better to have fixed springs for the front and progressive for the rear since the probability of extra weight being added will happen at the rear.

Does anyone know the difference in rate between the RBK500300 and the RBK101111? I have the RKB101111 rear, and std front (300tdi), and it is still quite firm, not ridiculous but I wouldn't mind it softer. Incidentally I have noticed a ride improvement when I had to renew the rear bottom shock bushings, (they are now superpro) I think they take a bit of punishment at the back.