Driving in France

Anderzander

Lots of great info and helpful suggestions - thank you everyone.

I'm actually putting back our travel date - it was going to be the end of April, but a number of things have made that not ideal - so we are rescheduling for September. Which gives me more time to plan and to take all these suggestions onboard :)

Did France/Spain/ibiza in our Transit last year, the original plan was to avoid autoroutes much as possible, and we know France pretty well from having family&friends there but you forget just how big the country is and the plan for avoiding autoroutes went well out of the window when you start running out of time/holidays!

The autoroutes get you to your destinations quicker but at the expense of tolls&boredom!

The trouble with a and b roads in France is that you get stuck behind artics in a RHD car so you can't see ahead to overtake safely. I did it once and that cured me of doing it by car. On European scooter trips though it was fantastic for all the above reasons :)

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

as said dont speed. Even on the auto routes. They catch you now by working out the time you got your ticket , to the booth you leave, and they work out your speed. So if you sit at 100 for three hours, stop for a 20 min coffee break.

• 3 weeks later...

if.... if.... somethings happens and you need to order parts. There are French postal delivery groups but ordering direct from UK is faster!!!

I'm in France and I ordered the same set of seals from http://www.euro4x4parts.com/ and http://www.paddockspares.com/, paddock was faster. Both where the same crappy seals, ordered proper seals later on.

Yep, its stupid but Paddocks is usually faster and cheaper, I hate adding unnecessary transport miles to stuff but LR spares in France is one of those where there isn't much choice, nobody really holds any stock over here.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving in France is like driving in the UK / just on the other side..

We go everywhere with both Series and Defenders and prefer the RN´s. Less stress, more to see and the voyage is part of the whole thing..

Speedlimit is to be obeyed, HiViz vest per seat compulsory, as is the warning tiangle and the analyser. Bring 2 as you need to carry one and once the 1st one is used you still have the other one. Fuel off AutoRoute / Peage / is cheaper and most supermarkets have 24/7 card operated fuel. CC usu works.

Please bring your green card as proof of insurance, the logbook and your drivers licence. Don' t laugh, we have loads of clients who forget things..

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great info and helpful suggestions - thank you everyone.

I'm actually putting back our travel date - it was going to be the end of April, but a number of things have made that not ideal - so we are rescheduling for September. Which gives me more time to plan and to take all these suggestions onboard :)

I'm leading a group across the French Alps at the end of Aug, I'll let you know how it goes, where are you going?

I haven't been for a few years so might be out of date but when I went they wanted;

- a high vis for each occupant that can be accessed from inside the cabin, I just rolled mine up and tucked under the seat.

- a triangle for breakdowns

- Spare bulbs

- Breathalyser

- GB sticker

I then translated the above as anything that was consumable take two so that you can carry on when you use one, it's how they like you to do it over here with lorry tacho rolls etc so I guess it's just my nature.

For the cash tolls I borrowed a device my boss made, it was a cup taped to a stick, you put the money in it and pass it over, they put the change in and pass it back :D Guess it wouldn't work on a series with no electric windows :) We have a tag at work now and that's great, I'm told you can go through at speeds that would probably be flat out in a series but I've never been brave enough to not stop for the barrier.

I find when they're speed checking on the toll roads they don't chase you, one hides in the bushes and zaps you and a second collars you at the next toll.

I think it's still valid that lorries can't travel on Sunday unless they have perishables?

Also you can't be shy if you need a poop at the unmanned services :hysterical: Our French agent also tells me that the transits parked in these services / laybys are entertainment for lonely lorry drivers :o

I'm a bit of an A to B driver so I just route whichever is going to be the fastest and pay the toll. The food at the services can be really good with steak and all sorts on offer but remember the villages are like going back in time, everything shuts!

I wish I could speak the language as it's a lovely country.

Happy to send you a copy of our road book when I finish it and let you know what the campsites are like.

Are you going in a group or just 1 car?

Ahh that would be wonderful ! Yes please !

We will be just 1 car - though the plan is to take my 80" when its finished with my friend in his.