Cutting Battery Cable

need4speed

hacksaw, wire cutters, angle grinder.... its not difficult and doesnt need a special tool.

Bolt croppers work less well than the above, they just squash it

I have a pair of wavy blade shears, not expensive and make a clean cut.

A ratchet cable cutter is the best tool for the job, neat cut and you can cut through thick cables with one hand. Also really useful for cutting up fuel pipe and radiator hoses.

Second choice is a hacksaw.

Thanks guys. Il try a cheap set of cable cutters. As mentioned I won't be using them on a regular basis. If it's not neat then I've only lost £4. If they aren't great I will just use a fine blade in the hack saw.. :)

Up to about 30 sqmm, I use cable shears (Knipex) which are amazing - though look as it they might really have been designed for cutting off fingers! Maybe that's just me!

They are also good for cutting pneumatic hose cleanly.

Anything bigger I use a 1mm cutting disc in a grinder which makes light work of anything.

Si

If you plan cutting cables every day - week in week out, then buy something. If its a one (or two) off for a vehicle rewire - save your money and improvise with something you already have.

Even if the end is a tiny bit ragged it will be inside the crimp and only you will every know how you cut it, the electrons, after all its them that matter, they wont be able to tell the difference.

I have a pair of the knipex shears which work brilliantly for this- we have some of the ones like the polevolt one at work and they too are good. Beware of using it on any hard materials though- trying to cut armoured cable with them is not a good idea!