X-Eng X-Plugs by Xcess ! - Enough Xs lol ? & crayons are out

Well, I run a magnet in the genuine square plugs, and that works a treat, they do fill up with mud, but that is easily fixed. I can see the 17 mm hex getting worn off on rocks rather soon; and then try getting it off.

Yes, the square can easily be machined; I design it for you free of charge if you want me too.

Daan

Any idea on pricing, Nige? I always fancied full sets for my 109 and RRC, includingt he transmission. I use FilterMags, which seem to work very wll from my curiosity getting the better and opening up an old filter - they don't need the particles removing before refitting as the filings are all kept in the filter.

I want to see Mr Postman get the box of 1000 magnets out of his van .....

I'll be impressed if he finds the address after the magnets screw up his satnav - every direction will be north and south at the same time...

None should be over £12 no vat some poss cheaper. ...

Very good value. I'll be ordering some at some point. I'd be keen on a SIII gear box plug and maybe a transfer box plug too - the gear box oil gets filthy, the transfer box not so bad. Annoying that the Rover/Roamerdrive doesn't have a drain plug, though its epicylic gears don't seem to generate much rubbish. It does have a small filler plug but I don't know its dimensions. I suspect it's the same as on the Defender variant, so might be worth investigating - it'd still retain the rubbish generated and haul it out - the case is ali, so any steel should stick only to the filler plug.

The mag plug on the RR's R380 is horrifying when I pull it. Shame there is no plug on the BW unit (news to me from above posts - I always had it done at a garage as I didn't have a pump for refilling, while the 109 could be refilled from above).

Surely if the thing gets bashed enough to make it un-spannerable you could cut your own slot with a grinder or attack it some other way to remove it as I assume no-one would be daft enough to re-fit a mullered part...

Personally I dislike the square socket ones as they fill up with crud.

Surely if the thing gets bashed enough to make it un-spannerable you could cut your own slot with a grinder or attack it some other way to remove it as I assume no-one would be daft enough to re-fit a mullered part...

Personally I dislike the square socket ones as they fill up with crud.

If the hex is recessed in the hole, cleaning will be even harder. I'd say the exposed thread will get muddy and rusty, and when you try to take out the plug, it will pick up like b4st4rd. More importantly, you will bash the tread of the housing if you hit a rock, and getting it out will be a even harder. removing crud from the square will take 2 min. I had had the rear bronze plug wearing out, together with the steel threaded bush in the axle casing, it had worn off by about 2mm by rocks.

Square I will buy, hex I wont.

Daan

What about swivels for CV joints or is everyone grease filling these days?

I'm impressed by how much people say they seem to remove / collect which must be a good thing to remove abrasive particulate matter entrained in oil. Power steering? how far would you go to stick a magnet?

Rob

For a number of years I've had a round magnet hanging from the Power steering reservoir cap and immersed in the fluid. Every so often I remove the cap and wipe the magnet with a clean shop towel. Every time it leaves a black smear, although the clean fluid is red. This tells me it's removing something.

Likewise, I've got neo magnets mounted on all drain plugs - both diffs, g'box, t'box, engine - and every time there's an oil change I'm amazed at the amount of grey/black paste that these accumulate.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Righty Ho All,

Things got "A Bit out of hand" with me and Keyhole surgery :rofl:

Now sort of sorted, but am having some me time, so am going to sort out the LR4x4 Clothing thrwead and my Burnt wiring and some time out

from the business to really recover , as being flat out and manic isn't helping :D

I am going to sort all existing orders out, then have a couple of weeks down time.

I am VERY aware I asked for help with the new Xcess 4x4 Axle plugs, things sort of got out of control....the CNC chap hit the button and

just made them pre testing ....Ooops ....BUT they are frankly Bludy fantastic , and I am delighted with them, and sold loads too !

So, fairs fair, those members who PM'd me offering their help - find the PM and send it to me again with your name and address and I will send you not a prototype

axle Xcess4x4 Plug but a proper finished one free of charge as a belated thankyou !

In the mantime a Nice health and safety video :

https://youtu.be/HO0Tsqr-IM8

Lastly ....any of the "Test Pilots" who would like more than one in the PM advise, you can have extras at £10 each vs £12 retail (No VAT) Free P&P UK

These fit Axle Fillers on back of Back, drain at bottom of axle casing and LT230 filler (next to handbrake drums)

Sorry this fell over, but freebies should be nioce way to say sorry !

Nige :D