Steve200TDi's New Racer!!

• 1 month later...

I may not of touched the racer in lockdown, but I certainly have been thinking and dreaming about what I'm going to be doing once I can get over there!

@msb_axo sent over two defender td5 wiper boxes and arms. So along with the one that @GBMUD has been keeping safe, I have a full set to swap out! I saw swap out, it will involve some cutting, grinding and welding, but thats ok, I'm yearning for a bit of that!

DSC_3794small.jpg.3633ff983aad3eebcc19e0ae5135d47d.jpg

I just need some nuts to hold the wiper arms on!

Regarding gearing, I have a 1.6 transfer box to fit, but I'm still reluctant as a borg warner is much nicer for racing. I would also need to make new mounts for it and fit new propshafts as they are slightly different lengths.

I've know for a while that Tomcat Motorsport make a smaller gear for the borg warner to change it from 1.2 to 1.38, but they are either unobtainable or a special order.

I heard on the grape vine a couple of weeks ago that there maybe 3 gears up for grabs.....

So this landed on the mat the other day!

DSC_3958small.jpg.dfa49b17c6e45c80c61bee243f240549.jpg

So that's another job to add to the list!

The existing chain is shortened by a couple of links and then tig welded back together.

Steve

• Like 1

Very nice find! 

Last I heard they were getting on for £1k for a set....

But you are right, the BW is a good box, and unlike the LT230 doesn't insist on sprinkling the ground wherever you park it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-kit-Car-Arttcar-Gear-Shifter/283709093725?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've asked for a few more photos, but it could be a candidate for a new shift for the racer. I can't quite see the shift gate pattern, so am waiting on some photos.

Steve

On 6/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, steve200TDi said:

I found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-kit-Car-Arttcar-Gear-Shifter/283709093725?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've asked for a few more photos, but it could be a candidate for a new shift for the racer. I can't quite see the shift gate pattern, so am waiting on some photos.

Steve

P R N 3 2 1

It was more the gate layout, so i could shift without going into reverse or neutral accidently.

But yes, thanks Mike for the order, it appears not to have D and so depending on how it is built I don't know if it can be modified and whether it has the shift cable with it....

Steve

1 hour ago, steve200TDi said:

It was more the gate layout, so i could shift without going into reverse or neutral accidently.

But yes, thanks Mike for the order, it appears not to have D and so depending on how it is built I don't know if it can be modified and whether it has the shift cable with it....

Steve

i know you can get the gate plates seperatley / make your own, i would assume in your instance that a P R N 4 3 2 1 would be a better option as 4 would become D

i think thats what WSR are doing with there kit

http://www.wsroffroad.com/gb/gear-box/25-shifter-wsr-for-autobox-land-rover-zf4hp.html?search_query=shifter&results=1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've seen that one a couple of times.

So I bought it!

Looks better in the flesh, as it has come with the cable! It has quite a bit of aluminium corrosion, but that can be sorted easily by some wiring brushing and painting.

DSC_4051small.jpg.89cedfc084f21a544c9f98551b289326.jpg

The gate plates are available to buy (in america) seperately depending on your gearbox layout, but I'll be making my own. So I've measured from P to 3 (on this shifter) the length the cable moves, so I have the distance or span. I can then work out the length of the shift linkage needs to be on my gearbox.

Lets brake out my new level/angle gauge!

DSC_4062small.jpg.ee0ef2e062ba0f9a64db91e9b38e1fd5.jpg

So starting from P and recording the angle of every position finishing at 3, I was able to working out the length of linkage I needed! 71.54mm long, across 60 degrees.

The end of the cable has a quick release ball joint linkage, so I;ll clean this up and hopefully use it or I may opt for a rose joint.

This is as far as I've got. I will need to do some more maths to make the gate plate for the shifter and also decide what gate I'm having!

Steve

• Like 1

I had a quick play on solid works today. Using the dimensions from the gearbox and shifter, I've come up with a new shifter plate. 

DSC_4105.thumb.JPG.2a5ff13f84fe1aa9b57c3cfa4fcd2692.JPG

I'll probably print a cardboard copy and fit it all to the gearbox to check shift points etc before either getting it laser cut or I'll get the drill and file out! 

Steve

On 6/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, Bowie69 said:

Nice :)

Also, have the same level ;) 

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

As do I! Level friends! 

Shame it doesn't do 'the' beep :( 

Yes! I think we had a level discussion on another thread about what level to get!

1 minute ago, steve200TDi said:

Yes! I think we had a level discussion on another thread about what level to get!

Was that a level-headed discussion about which level to level at the problem of levelling LR components?

• Haha 1

I have 1:1 scale drawings to offer up to the gearbox and shifter. The gearbox linkage is just a guess regarding raduis, but the gate plate should hopefully be close as I've done a lot of measuring and calculating to produce that drawing!

1350596712_gearboxlinkage.jpg.436297bb7a7856580d70a6c0ed1d2d94.jpg

56546266_shiftergate.jpg.0ca7c507aea5a260df0585352dae22a1.jpg

Oh yes........and good old Windows 98! :D

Steve

My work PC runs Linux Mint and half the time I've got Mint in one monitor, Windows WM in another and Ubuntu VM in the 3rd :lol: and yes I do need a 4th monitor...

There's a few wrinkles to cloning XP / Vista / Win7 machines if anyone needs the info I've got it wrote down somewhere... :ph34r: