Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

• 2 weeks later...

Cheer's guys, I've put its first 100 miles on it now and had a couple of issues with the 2a whilst driving it the main issue was what Snagger said a short while ago and that the gearing mite be too high due to me having an HRTC fitted to the gearbox and Disco 3.54-1 diffs fitted which it was a hell of a lot, and with all this fitted before Snagger mentioned it I just wanted to see for myself first before I removed everything then later wondered what if, anyway I have now replaced the rear diff for a 4.7-1 diff in the rear which is one of the original diff that was fitted to the 2a when I bought it and that seems to have sorted it and will refit the front later and the other issue is the new speedo cable has snapped so I will have to get another one now ☹️

• Like 1

Glad it has all turned out so well.  A snapped speedo cable is a nuisance, but not too hard to sort.  Just make sure you get a decent one - the Britpart version has too short an inner cable, so it usually fails to engage on the worm gear or the speedo head drive.

As for the diff ratio, at least you won’t have any nagging doubt as to whether you should have tried the 3.54s - you had a go, and now you know for yourself.  It’s a quick swap on the back end as you know, and not too bad on the front if you just undo the swivels from the axle case. Only hassle with that is having to disconnect the brakes and bleed them again later, but I think that’s easier than removing the hubs, stub axles and shafts with the swivels still fitted.

11 hours ago, Snagger said:

Glad it has all turned out so well.  A snapped speedo cable is a nuisance, but not too hard to sort.  Just make sure you get a decent one - the Britpart version has too short an inner cable, so it usually fails to engage on the worm gear or the speedo head drive.

As for the diff ratio, at least you won’t have any nagging doubt as to whether you should have tried the 3.54s - you had a go, and now you know for yourself.  It’s a quick swap on the back end as you know, and not too bad on the front if you just undo the swivels from the axle case. Only hassle with that is having to disconnect the brakes and bleed them again later, but I think that’s easier than removing the hubs, stub axles and shafts with the swivels still fitted.

Yeah true with the swivels, with the speedo cable it snapped just before the head end think it was the angle it was going into the head so will have to address that with a new one it was a Bearmach one aswell 😥

Edited by Cornish Rattler