Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, Gazzar said:

Blue boxes aren't all bad. Which is worse, in a way!

Do Britpart do alloy tops now?

No just the BP ones, I was going to go for the rocky mountain ones and was happy to pay £500 for them but as I went to buy them they went up to £700 so I thought against the idea then started to look at the SP Galv ones but again to dear plus I would need to etch primer them then spray them so decided on getting the BP ones but from Craddocks this time as Paddocks had sold out of them.

4 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

No just the BP ones, I was going to go for the rocky mountain ones and was happy to pay £500 for them but as I went to buy them they went up to £700 so I thought against the idea then started to look at the SP Galv ones but again to dear plus I would need to etch primer them then spray them so decided on getting the BP ones but from Craddocks this time as Paddocks had sold out of them.

Mine have lasted 10 years, but are fairly rubbish now. Thankfully I've a few pairs of alloy tops, so those will go on mine when I get a chance.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:50 AM, Cornish Rattler said:

Painted some more bits yesterday, front wings, rock sliders, floor plates, door bottoms and anything else that needs painting.

20190713_210802.jpg

Where/what do your rock sliders bolt up to at the rear?

Well after deciding the Mazda RX8 seats won't do and looking at other seats i stumbled across a Defender seat referbish kit so i dug out my old Def seats i had from my 90 and ordered a kit to try and the outcome was great so have ordered another kit for the other kit as well as a matching cubby box as well.

20190727_171652.jpg

20190727_132655.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

They come with a bracket for each side that bolt to the rear fuel tank out rigger but you will ned to drill the holes 

20190712_104509.jpg

That's a neat way of doing it, I might copy that.

11 hours ago, Gazzar said:

That's a neat way of doing it, I might copy that.

Yeah on my last 2a i restored i fitted the same style rock slider supplied with the same brackets but they was pre drilled and fitted staight from the slider to the out rigger rather than at in angle like mine are now think its because different models differ from each other.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

They come with a bracket for each side that bolt to the rear fuel tank out rigger but you will ned to drill the holes 

20190712_104509.jpg

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I will make my own but was looking for ideas on the mountings. The front will go to the bulkhead bracket.

My Mill Services sills attached to my 109 in a similar way, but had two such brackets for the back out riggers (front of tub outriggers and the spring hanger/second row foot well outriggers), so three mountings each.  They still flex when jacking the vehicle.  I strongly recommend you use more bolts into the outrigger and space them as far apart as possible to limit the movement of the connecting strip in relation to the outrigger.  You will get a much more rigid mounting if you make up a 3mm flat plate that matches the outrigger face with an extension that covers the sill bracket, a fat “L” if you wish, that will take the two bolts into the sill and have bolts near each corner of the face of the outrigger.

17 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Well done - great to see it with the floors in.

getting close !   What’s left?

Fit new wiring loom when it comes, screw the front seats and cubby box down, fit headlights, fit roof lining, fit dash, fit brake pipes and get it running.

Edited by Cornish Rattler
  • Like 1