Help N4S With Mid-Build Blues

Been working away for a while. Between that and a few other things going on the 110 just kind of went onto the back burner. The trouble is I'm struggling to find the inclination to get going with it again :(

Im of the view that if I can just do the absolute minimum to get the thing running I think it will inspire me to get shifting and finish this thing.

Most of you old-timers will know what I'm building but for those who are newer I have a 4.6 RV8 fitted with MS.

So here is where I sit... The cooling system is plumbed. The MS is complete but without vacuum or lambda fitted. Starter is wired to battery. Alternator has main battery feed but not wired to dash. I've got manifolds fitted but nothing from there back. None of the gauges are functioning yet.

The main things I think I need to do are fit exhaust system and figure out which of the fuel pipes coming from the pump are feed, and which is return (yes I forgot to label them......)

Is there anything else anyone can think of I need to do just to hear some life coming from the damn thing?

Please help me get my motivation back!

I don't know much about Megasquirt Phil but if you need a hand with something or even just some company for a day 'on the car' then give me a shout.

I've found in the past that a second pair of hands/eyes can be useful for getting things moving again.

C'mon Phil, I remember getting bogged down with the list that never seemed to end, get the exhaust on, plumb the vacuum and fuel and turn the key, once you hear it running the enthusiasm comes back thick and fast :)

What Bowie said, might be worth wiring the alternator light (its one wire, you can do it!), you can ignore the lambda, fuel pipes there's only two ways they can go, if your setup is like mine (Defender tank with RR EFI in-tank pump) the feed is from the top of the pump and the return is into the top side of the tank. Otherwise a quick squint at the RAVE manual or the parts book, or even a photo of a pump, should tell you which is feed & return.

Sounds like you're all of 30 mins effort from turning the key and getting a cough out of it.

Bowie I'm well away from you. Kilmarnock is SW Scotland :)

Mo thanks for the support. Expect nothing else from you lol ;)

All the others are nice Phil, I just keep it in perspective ?

If you were closer I would happily pop round and point at random parts of your Land Rover ?

Mo

Indeed, same, was on phone so couldn't see location :)

I forgot about the fuel hoses, but yes, as FF says, it'll only add 10 mins before you get it rumbling (or find you have the coil packs/leads the wrong way round).

Please help me get my motivation back!

Hi Phil,

I think we have all been there, ;) it took me 5 x years to do a full ground up restoration and probably cost 3 x times as much as I had estimated.

Just get yourself out there in the garage, once your out there working you will start enjoying it again. Stinky overalls with the smell of EP90, a good cuppa, the radio on and working with your hands is so satisfying.

I found making small packages of work and achieving them helped me rather than seeing one big list of things to do.

Keep at it my friend. :i-m_so_happy:

G

Thanks guys. I feel a bit more positive now. I have ordered the exhaust y-piece. Maybe once that arrives it will inspire me some more to move on. It will force me to work as its a big piece to have kicking around / tripping over etc lol

Well I've certainly been there on several occasions, so can relate to what you are saying.

In the end, I made a weekly list of what needed doing, I set myself a task before I walked into the garage of what I was doing that night, so there was no wandering in there poking stuff for an hour and faffing before deciding what to do as I has a clear idea of what I was trying to achieve.

Sunday started another list, taking off what I had done and added new stuff so the list didn't look to daunting lol

Similar to taking it apart again...... :moglite: I'm setting goals for each time I go out

That's a good idea les. I think that's the reason I kind of lost a bit of motivation. I was thinking that although I've done a lot of work, there were so many jobs needed doing to finish it, I couldn't even think of them all. It sort of gets you down.

That's why I feel that if I can just do enough to get the beast running (even roughly) it will kick-start my enthusiasm again.

With regards getting to mot stage I like your idea of just setting little 'packages' of things to do :)

Cheers

I do similar actually, make a fluid to do list, only put stuff on that I can see getting complete in the next month, say, that way the job looks a lot smaller.

No-one likes having a whole side of A4 (or more) to look at when they are trying to work out what needs doing! :)

Get a whiteboard and some colouring pens - write lists of jobs, whatever you think of. That way you can wander out to the garage and pick something that's doable in the available time and get straight on it rather than stare at the truck for half an hour trying to work out what's next. Also, ticking stuff off the list is always satisfying and you can see you're making progress.

Get a whiteboard and some colouring pens - write lists of jobs, whatever you think of. That way you can wander out to the garage and pick something that's doable in the available time and get straight on it rather than stare at the truck for half an hour trying to work out what's next. Also, ticking stuff off the list is always satisfying and you can see you're making progress.

THIS