Diameter snorkel, pressure of VNT and lack of power

henk

As far as I understand it, vortex inserts (whether wire, flat planes, whatever) are only ever used by serious engineers (as opposed to snake oil salesmen) to improve heat exchange by disrupting the laminar flow and avoiding a layer of slower moving cooled/heated (depending which way you're working) fluid at the out limit of the bore and a central flow of faster moving fluid which isn't taking part in the heat exchange to the same degree. It also slows the flow, which is advantageous for heat exchange but exactly what you don't want on your engine air intake.

Is that about right, or am I talking rubbish?

That's for a square. pie x the square of the radius gives a circular sectional area. But yes, the point is that the area increases as a function of the square.....

I was simplifying it for people... There is always one person that must nitpick everything on the internet though....

I had a look at my snorkel - it appears the pipework is already 3"

I read somewhere that the upturned cone pre-filter things:

ff005301.jpg

Have a lot more resistance than the safari type ones:

4443.jpg

I've got the former on mine, may try taking it off on a dry day, reconnecting the snorkel and seeing if it makes any difference.

At the moment my intake is drawing air from close to the manifold, and hot air is never ideal!

The hot air comment is quite interesting and indeed correct, but it brought up a memory, that I remember when I re-located my air inlet when I had my bodged together Disco 200tdi air system, just moving the suction away from the hot side of the engine, I thought it made quite a difference to the nature of the engine.

Also interesting comment about the snorkel tops... I have also been looking into changing from a mushroom to an alternative top as I recon its pretty restricted... was either that or drill some more holes on the mushroom to allow more air in...

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some very scientific testing - the car definitely feels like it goes better with the cone top removed and just a plain open pipe. I've ordered a knock-off safari style top from fleabay to try...

I did wonder about trying to make a 'stumpy' snorkel - really all I need is a cold air feed for the v8 with as little restriction as possible... It's highly unlikely that I'll go wading thru 4ft of water (and if I did various other bits would stop the engine before then!) - so I wondered about a small pipe up to about the level of the window hinge with a safari top on it, but dunno if it would look ridiculous!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a nice snorkel at Billing that starts at the top with 3.5" and then goes into the side with 3" diameter but there is no way on a LHD to get the 3" tube beyond the heater. Stuck again ... :closedeyes: