Defender 110

In fairness, guys, this new forum software is doing some odd things - I just found a post I made in my Tdi oil consumption thread had also popped up in Troll Hunter's starter motor thread, and mu "post comment" box often fills up with a previous comment, needing deletion before typing in the new post, so it might not be his fault!

I had my 109 up to 85mph and it was just starting to fishtail from the vortex shedding at the back end.  Faster than that with these aerodynamics is a bad idea unless you have very stiff and low suspension and road-only pattern tyres.

In answer to the original question, I'd say that if the vehicle is on standard diffs and tyre size, used laden or for towing, or has accessories like a roof rack, then a 1.4.  If it's free of accessories and is only driven fairly empty, or the V8 has been tuned, then it may pull a 1.2 well, but no higher than that.  If you have the budget, 1.4 and an overdrive is the more useful and flexible solution.

7 minutes ago, Alex1933 said:

ок! 

Range Rover 4.0 accelerates to 100 miles ?

You can think and Defender

It was very upset when TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 76 SERIES ahead

I need a little speed !!

Could the vehicle achieve that speed?  Yes.  Could it do it safely?  No - the shape of the vehicle makes it start to wave from side to side above 90mph.  It'd be dangerous without serious modifications to suspension and tyres.  Gearing set up for that speed would also make normal use far worse, with poor towing or load carrying ability, poorer acceleration at lower speeds and higher fuel consumption.  Defenders are not designed for speed.  80mph/130kph is a reasonable limit for a practical Defender.

130kph = 80mph

You should be able to do that with the standard gearing no problem. If you can't, it's likely the engine struggling - sort that out 1st.

For comparison, our 127 Ambulance (which makes a std Defender look aerodynamic) will easily hit 80mph+, even with the old 3.5 V8 (in bad tune) it could just about manage it, with the 4.6 it is no problem. Gearing is standard Defender.

Snagger I think there must be something wrong with your 109, need to get back to the wind tunnel to work that out...

It was a long time ago, before the rebuild, Fridge.  The tyres weren't a great type, but there was nothing else on the vehicle to cause it.  I suppose it could have been the motorway surface, but it felt external and it was acting on the back end of the car, not the front.  It didn't have any external mods at the time and no roof rack, just standard 109 shape.

V8 90's did have 1.21 (or there abouts) transfer box from the factory and 110's had 1.41 and yes the 90 came on 205 tyres which accounts for the ratio differences. Both should do more than 80MPH if so inclined as standard (both my V8 90's did anyway!)

Toby

Edited by Happyoldgit
Text size sorted.

3 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I don't believe there is such a thing as a 3.5 litre V8 Defender..  not factory.

V8 Ninety and One Ten's should have the LT-85 IIRC. Pretty sure the Ninety has a taller geared transfer box than TD Ninety's. Not sure on a One Ten.

Ninety would also have been on 205 tyres.

I'm pretty sure there were.  I think the Royal Marines even got some.  I think the V8 was an option until some time after the 200Tdi in the UK and always available in some foreign markets.  205s were an option, too, not mandatory.