Opinions & advice wanted on new steel wheels for One Ten

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice & opinions on rims for my Green 89 One Ten with cream roof please.

I currently have a set of very tatty and rusty looking rims and I need two new tyres for the MOT. The good tyres are 265x75 All Terrain TA's. The rims are, I think Disco ones so have the wrong offset and make parking a nightmare.

I've also got a spare set of tubeless 7x16 Boost alloys (and 20mm spacers) but I'm not a fan of alloys on a landy but I'm also not a huge fan of spending cash if there's a cheap alternative round the side of the house esp as I'm also replacing the steering box just now.

My questions are:

• What would be the correct steel rims for a 1989 One Ten, should it be white or limestone/cream/ivory? Can you purchase these in 7x16 with a load rating for a One Ten? I haven't had much luck phoning Craddocks about the ones they have in stock.
  • If I went for/can go for a Wolf rim, is it worth going for original ones or are the copies just as good. I've seen these: WOLF XD STEEL WHEEL but not sure if these will fit the 265 tyres, are these all 6.5"?

And just to add to the confusion, I'm owed a favour by a local powder coating firm so can have them coated but I've been reading that this isn't the best option due to chipping and flaking and I'd be better off painting them.

So... 

I'm looking for some advice on what to go for and also what people think in terms of rims and what looks good on their landy, and yes I know I will get loads of opinions but that's what I want as I'm rubbish at making the decision myself.

Thanks,

Heds

I think these look good ^^^^^^^^. I guess my only criticism would be that the tyres don't fill the arches as much as i would like from a visual point of view, but that's just aesthetics.

I have silver modulars on mine, but thats mainly because they were fairly cheap compared to other options.

I think these would be the original wheels for a 1989 110 painted with something lighter than Limestone such as Chawton white:

http://www.paddockspares.com/anr4636pm-16x5-5-lwb-rim-tube-type-o-e-manufacture-black-primer-coated.html

I've got black modulars on at the moment but I don't really like the look of them on my 1988 110. I got some good condition secondhand steel rims (same type as in the link) from ebay, £50 for 5 and I have sprayed them myself in chawton white. I'm going to put  Avon Rangemasters on the rims for a more original look.

43 minutes ago, western said:

bog standard for a 1989 110CSW was the 5.5 x 16 steels in ivory white [my 110 is the same year] but it's had XD/Wolf steels with 255/85 tyres for the last 8 years. these won't accept a 265 tyre. 

So standard and XD/Wolf wheels are out for me. Boo.

3 hours ago, monkie said:

I think these would be the original wheels for a 1989 110 painted with something lighter than Limestone such as Chawton white:

http://www.paddockspares.com/anr4636pm-16x5-5-lwb-rim-tube-type-o-e-manufacture-black-primer-coated.html

I've got black modulars on at the moment but I don't really like the look of them on my 1988 110. I got some good condition secondhand steel rims (same type as in the link) from ebay, £50 for 5 and I have sprayed them myself in chawton white. I'm going to put  Avon Rangemasters on the rims for a more original look.

I need 7x16 for my tyres so those are out as well.

I'm waiting to hear back from Craddocks if these White Modular Rims are suitable.

I'd choose the wolfs personally... I do however have a set of standard steels in the workshop you're welcome to Hedley? I can't see the width being a problem on the wolfs, I had 255s on mine which are only 10mm narrower than the 265.

As for the powdercoating... it depends entirely on the quality of the job. PCing in the UK has a bad rep because of all the carp jobs done... I had to strip some off that I've had done (forgot to mask a couple of bits) and it was an absolute "Person Resembling a Pink Starfish" to remove it :lol: I'm not worried about mine being chipped, paint will chip anyway. 

And to tempt you... :P 8.5" Wolf rim...

42226817-0C99-4C5E-84AF-2EBFFEB80D99_zps

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say stick the boost wheels on it....give it a smarter and newer look without being flashy.

Plus they are the right size for your tyres and you already have them! No need to paint or powder coat either (you could get them powder coated black if you wanted to make them a bit more subtle?)

Discovery steel wheels and LR alloys have the same dimensions, so will make no difference to steering.  However, parking a 110 shouldn't be a big deal, and steering lock with any of the LR manufactured wheels should allow sufficient lock.

I have modulars (7J16) on my 110, and must say that the available steering lock is a million miles better than with factory alloys or steels. When you start maneuvering trailers in tight spaces the difference really makes itself known.

The only way I'd run factory wheels is with spacers, but I'm not a big fan of them.

10 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I have modulars (7J16) on my 110, and must say that the available steering lock is a million miles better than with factory alloys or steels. When you start maneuvering trailers in tight spaces the difference really makes itself known.

The only way I'd run factory wheels is with spacers, but I'm not a big fan of them.

They are available in 7" with different offsets - I assumed they were all the same, and while all six of mine were manufactured by Mangel, the later two that were bought for use as spares had the front face of the nave (spoked section) roughly flush with the inner step of the rim, while the older wheels had the nave stepped back roughly 30mm from that step.  That will not only affect steering lock, but a mismatched pair could cause steering stability issues when braking or hitting speed humps at moderate speeds.

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

What offset are they Michael?

Afraid I don't know Ross.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

They are available in 7" with different offsets - I assumed they were all the same, and while all six of mine were manufactured by Mangel, the later two that were bought for use as spares had the front face of the nave (spoked section) roughly flush with the inner step of the rim, while the older wheels had the nave stepped back roughly 30mm from that step.  That will not only affect steering lock, but a mismatched pair could cause steering stability issues when braking or hitting speed humps at moderate speeds.

I didn't realise there were different offsets of the same width rim on such common wheels..

• 2 weeks later...