Taxing your motor.

Les Henson

I got the tax reminder thingy through the post and armed with a large wad of money, went round the Post Office to get the disc. The guy said that I still need to bring a current MOT certificate and Insurance Certificate - even though I had the reminder through the post from the DVLA. I'm pretty sure that last year I only needed the reminder to get the disc, but I had th schlepp back home anyway or get an £80 fine from a robot. Anybody know the definitive answer to this?

Les.

Les, a couple of years ago I got tax on my car just by popping in and telling them that I had recently changed address & had no reminder. They looked something up & worked out the correct price, but I had to have my papers with me.

Last year I tried just going in with the reminder, and like you, thought I would not need to bother with Insurance & MOT papers. I had to go home & get everything & the post office dysfunctional person doing work experience employee said that nowadyas you ALWAYS have to have all the info to hand when getting tax.

Probably just another way to "protect" our interests & stop vehicle fraud/identity theft etc.

Martin

IIRC it usually says on the reminder demand what paperwork you need to take. If the MOT is new then I guess that the database might not have been updated?

I was able to buy a tax disc online today with nothing more that the demand in my hand.

Chris

I was able to buy a tax disc online today with nothing more that the demand in my hand.

Chris

What Chirs said: recently I've done it online with just that reminder (the system knows that you are insured/MOT'd) but if you go to the Post Office you need all the paperwork.

Mark

I did mine online on Friday, just could not be bothered with all that waiting in a queue for about a month. Arrived on Monday.

You just fill in the reference number off the reminder, it automatically checks if the vehicle is insured & has MOT, which takes about 5 seconds, and your done.

Because its all via the DVLA computer, if you were to getted stopped by the Bill before the new disc arrived, they would be able to verify that you were in fact actually taxed, even though your old disc says expired.

Yep, you need the road tax reminder,Payment,MOT cert & Insurance cert.

tells you on the reminder form what to take with you or even easier, do it online & then you don't have to go outside & new disc arrives within 3days.

I did mine online on Friday, just could not be bothered with all that waiting in a queue for about a month. Arrived on Monday.

You just fill in the reference number off the reminder, it automatically checks if the vehicle is insured & has MOT, which takes about 5 seconds, and your done.

Because its all via the DVLA computer, if you were to getted stopped by the Bill before the new disc arrived, they would be able to verify that you were in fact actually taxed, even though your old disc says expired.

Be aware that there is also an offence of not displaying the correct tax disc, as well as the vehicle being untaxed. :ph34r:

The MOT status is easily checked by the online system, reaching into the MOT Computerisation system, and retreiving a yes or no, same goes for the insurance...

Now if the government (if you can call them that) actually wanted to invest in local post offices, rather than prefer to see them close, they would have rolled out the other part of the plan, each PO being able to electronically check MOT and insurance just by scanning a barcode.... sadly I reckon the budget ran out.

Just another nail in the coffin of rural Post Offices I am afraid :(

Be aware that there is also an offence of not displaying the correct tax disc, as well as the vehicle being untaxed.

Thats what I mean.....if you apply online, you ARE actually taxed even though the disc has not arrived. If the police were to stop you, they can check this.

Guest diesel_jim

I see what Les means though...

if the police can do a PNC check, or the DVLA can tell withing 5 seconds on line whether you're MoT'd or not, then why should we have to take all the docs to the post orifice? their little desk PC's can check whether the insurance is valid (i think...don't quote me on that!) so why not the mot as well?

did mine at a place called a post office!

Had to take all my bits of paper but at least i got a smile off the lady.Must keep the post offices open.

Fully agreed Marcus,,, we still do our at the post office,,

Technically you need the reminder, (or New style V5) Insurance cert, Mot (If applicable) and the money,,

However if you renew at a DVLA local office, you still need a V10 (VED application Form) as well,, !! certainly Exeter does,,

Does the 'failure to display' not apply in this instance?

I stand to correction, but I'm pretty sure that if you have applied online, and are waiting on delivery of the disc, you are OK.

May very well be wrong.....but its just one of those nuggets of information you seem to acquire from somewhere & cant quite verify!!

Does the 'failure to display' not apply in this instance?

It does and it carries quite a hefty fine, but as Roguevogue pointed out to me while discussing the same topic at Capel - at least they can't crush your car for it!! It is still the drivers responsibility to ensure the raod worthiness of the vehicle - this includes displaying the correct VED disc.

I have managed to tax several vehicles on line and, barring a 3 week wait for the insurance database to be udated, had no issues at all, but the last one I did took 42 days and 3 attempts to reach me, hence why my Discovery has a "duplicate" stamp on it's disc. A good system, but still a few niggles with it...

I took all my doc's & payment to my local Post Office, with the distinct possibilty that another 3500 to 4000 local PO's are to close your local PO needs all the support & business it can get, doing stuff online is OK but something has to suffere elsewhere.

yep -you've always had to take all your docs to the PO, online checks it automatically.

Is there a website to see if you are MOT'd and when it expires?

I know you can check the tax at the place where you get new tax, and you can check the insurance at askmid.com but is there any website for MOT?

and this is a quality thread how ?

A generic motoring question, that revolves around not being able to read a form.

The vehicle being taxed, may or may not have been a Land Rover, but even it was its fairly tenuous, and adds little value !!

One rule for some........

Having the pleasure of a V11 in my hand...

As far as I can see the form is easily read and all the details are on that form

The interesting bits are on the back of the form, especialy the pink piece at the top and part A Do not make a SORN if......

Oh yes I put a SORN on line last week.

mike

if the police can do a PNC check, or the DVLA can tell withing 5 seconds on line whether you're MoT'd or not, then why should we have to take all the docs to the post orifice? their little desk PC's can check whether the insurance is valid (i think...don't quote me on that!) so why not the mot as well?

because the Post offices EPOS system is not connected to dvla's databases.

and when they scan the bar code on the tax disk (the books of tax disks are issued by dvla) - all it is doing is registering that tax disk serial number has been issued. These serial numbers are then given to dvla who update their systems to show serial number XXX is now matched to your motors vehicle reg. Means when you get it scanned by the eye in the sky cameras, they can tell if that disk belongs to your motor or if you are swapping the same disk between vehicles

Its also so that a full security audit can be carried out on a rolling basis of what tax disks have been sold and to try and catch anyone stealing a book of disks and selling them to their mates.