ffs!!! i just want a towing vehicle!! how hard is

how 'kin hard is it to get a vehicle that can tow a LR110?!?! i have phoned so many company to get the same answer.. 'sorry sir, we don't have insurance for that' or 'we have a mileage limit' WTF? :angry:

so at the moment, im stuffed,, i have someone getting inpatient with a 110 stuck on there hands and theres me with no way of collecting it that i can afford. :( one suggestion was a lorry.. yeah, like the have a good mpg... :angry:

so as a last resort, anyone of a company that we hire me a capable vehicle for wednesday without stupid excuses? :( :(

Pay a car delivery company to go and get it? Once you have hired a tow vehicle and a trailer, filled up with diesel and factored in your time they may be competitive. There's loads of guys who pick up and deliver cars on little beaver tail 7.5 tonners.

Try the yellow pages or yell.com

Other than that, dont buy vehicles you cant collect!

'Lorries' are a pretty standard way of moving vehicles about the country; all the recovery services use them. They are probably considered a much safer way of moving vehicles, especially heavy ones, than a trailer, which inevitably needs a substantial towing vehicle as well.

Some recommendations courtesy of a January 2012 thread on the Series 2 Forum. I haven't used any of them.

http://www.bowaterandson.co.uk jamie@hillshipping.com

"Richard at County Recovery in Carlisle - he travels all over the country and beyond so his location is irrelevant - he's always cheap and has moved about a dozen non runners for" (the writer).

The same writer "also used anyvan.com to great effect, very cheap".

ETA that I missed one mention

cc-r.jpg

HTH

Where is it?

Does it move under its own steam?

Presume it needs to be delivered to you in Devises?

When does it need to be done?

All information that may get you a more helpful response from a forum full of people with unmentioned contacts and additional hobbies...

Copied this next bit out of a signature from one of my other frequent forums...

We Deliver cars & charge around a £1.00 per mile(conditions apply) we are fully insured upto a £150k,Call 07977147444 or Email jez33m at aol dot com (replace the 'at' and the 'dot'...)

Shouldn't be too hard, my Dad managed to find someone willing to tow his 101 back from Yeovil when he first bought it. Was just some dude with a big-ass Transit van and a massive trailer. Not sure how he found him though. The 101 had a MOT but was running on 4 cylinders and the brakes were non-existent, so I think the MOT came from a pub.

Go onto:

shiply.com

uship.com

anyvan.co.uk

And upload what you need shifting, where. People with email with you quotes. Ring a couple of likely candidates and go for the best one. The beauty of these websites is you get good rates because haulage firms are 'going there anyway' - or part-loads as the industry calls them. Saves messing around with hiring trailers, finding a tow vehicle...etc. Usually works out cheaper than the cost of diesel to get there and back, never mind the saving in aggro, trailer hire etc.

HTH

Matt

I use haulage firms to bring my Defenders across the country, as it works out much cheaper than hiring a trailer and all the fuel and a days lost work.

Shipleys and Uship can be ok, but you pay commision and can't speak with them directly and straight away.

Go to YELL, search for car transport or haulage companies in the area where the 110 is located and ring round.

I normally pay £80 cash in hand to get a Defender delivered on a low loader, or double deck transporter from 100 miles away, though I'm lucky as the firm I use has a depot near me.

i got someone of ebay to pick up my 110 cost £250 over 240miles witch was cheaper than i could have done it with my 90 & trailer (just the fuel would of cost that + full day to drive up and back).

try to find one cloce to the pick up point as thay should know the area better.

Of course the cheeky way is to call your recovery company with a 'yea - it just stopped dead, wont run at all. Wierdest thing as it has been fine all week, honest gov'.

Of course for this to work you have to have some sort of recovery cover in the first place!

;)

Other than that, dont buy vehicles you cant collect!

:blink:

i had someone all lined up for the job. but then they decided that having 220.000 on the clock is to much and dumped me in this mess. anyway a stressing day for sure.. we opted for the AA route but as i'm not allowed to rant anymore, i wont tell you what i now think of them! :angry: and we had this exact problem with the same company in the same country(wales) with the same land rover about 7 years ago..

anyway i phone a few company's (inc the one suggested above) which said one of the following excuses..

1, i cant do that, its to far..

2, i don't have a trailer.. :blink:

3, its to big

4, that will be £400+VAT please.. -- i bet you can imagine my answer! :(

anyway, then cropped up a company that hires out defenders and trailer quite cheap. so (and again, fingers crossed) we should have it Thursday. :closedeyes:

but some good new ish, the AA idiot that came out to inspect the 110 found that the turbo was fine, just a split pipe so thats one less thing to replace.. :D

In which case assuming it's a 300 mile round trip if you paid a firm to do it you are looking at about a 100 quids worth of fuel, a bloke for 6+ hours, tow vehicle plus trailer.....

So the 400 + vat seems a bit steep.

thats what i thought!, and before the AA binned out on us, they quoted £299. :o

but this company we found, nice new defender+flatbed=around £150 without fuel so not to bad. :i-m_so_happy:

may prod mum to buy a new 110 :ph34r:

thats what i thought!, and before the AA binned out on us, they quoted £299. :o

but this company we found, nice new defender+flatbed=around £150 without fuel so not to bad. :i-m_so_happy:

may prod mum to buy a new 110 :ph34r:

That depends if you have a free driver, I can't see you hiring a driver for 50 quid for a 6+ hours drive. Although I'm going by people in this neck of the woods.

£299 from the AA isn't a bad price - I thought they'd charge more. Will keep them in mind for the future!

They all have wages to pay as well as other running costs associated with a business. You're not gonna have saved that much by the time you put £100 of diesel in :ph34r:

£299 from the AA isn't a bad price - I thought they'd charge more. Will keep them in mind for the future!

They all have wages to pay as well as other running costs associated with a business. You're not gonna have saved that much by the time you put £100 of diesel in :ph34r:

I'd have to agree that is a realistic price when you account for overheads.

i agree, its a good price, but they wont do it because bertha isn't mot'ed,so really it doesn't matter if is £50 or £500, they wont do it. :( :(

I wonder if that is for legal reasons? As in they don't want to do a delivery and then be expected to unload it onto the road?