Forodo or Mintex brake pads ?

IanT90

I changed my rear brake assemblies this year and bought a kit including discs and pads, bought the calipers separately. The pads I got where Forodo which is one of the reasons I bought the kit, always used Forodo and swear by them.

I also changed the front O/S caliper when I replaced the swivel, seal and bearings. I have a new N/S caliper but haven't got around to fitting that yet. However, when I do get around to replacing it I was planning to replace my front pads at the same time (discs are okay for the time being). The pads still have some wear in them but what the hell may as well replace them so there all done.

Went on to eBay my favorite on line shopping site and typed in 300TDI Defender front brake pads. To my surprise there where loads of Mintex pads, some Brit part pads ( which I won't entertain) and some other manufacturers I have not heard off but no Forodo.

So I typed in Forodo front brake pads for Land Rover Defender and up they came but to my shock they where not cheap.

Finally to my question should I stick with the time honored tradition and stick with Forodo or should I take a leap of faith and go for Mintex ? Has anyone used Mintex and if so are they any good ? how do they compare with Forodo pads ?

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

I am back onto Mintex after trying in a number of different pads in my 110 (discs all around) and Discovery's over the years.

Tbh brake fade or dust on the rim's was never an issue for me - what I found was the Mintex brakes worked as well on these vehicles as any other but lasted the longest so for me it was a £ choice and oem one!

Good luck!

I guess you mean oil the back of the plate not the front which is in contact with the disc (stupid question but got to ask), plus which oil do you suggest ?

There are a number of anti squeal shims around, some come with a grease supplied. I bought some self adhesive pads you cut to shape (with no grease) I was wondering if I should grease them or not and if I was to use grease what type ? maybe oil is a better alternative ? I could use some all purpose bearing grease that I have in abundance.

As always all advice very welcome.

Ian

Ah that's interesting didn't know about the chamfered edge, that might explain why I have the problem.

Got a tube of copper grease so could use that, but after reading threads I am reluctant now must admit didn't like idea of having any form of lubricant near my brakes. Will fit adhesive pads/shims and make sure the pads are the right way around first, see if that works before resorting to the copper grease.

Once again my knowledge is expanded a little more, thanks guys appreciated.

Ian

There is a reason for the change, if your vehicle has ABS then use the ceramic paste, apparently the copper stuff causes dementia and your braking system may or maynot work, but if the abs sensors get contaminated with coper  then it is virtually impossible to clean tem, so only replacement and megabuks