My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

6 hours ago, western said:

Engine hours after driving home from work today is 1156.7 & mileage since rebuild is 134,416, 

current total mileage on my 110 is now 513937, it had 73195 on it when bought in 7 July 1993.

Have you got an extra “4” in there? Surely not 134k miles in 4 years?! That’s like 33k per year 😳

23 minutes ago, jason110 said:

Have you got an extra “4” in there? Surely not 134k miles in 4 years?! That’s like 33k per year 😳

Quite doable but Western might be a touch deaf doing that mileage in a tdi powered defender :D

That's correct mileage, I live in the deepest south west so just getting to the M5 southern end is almost a 100 mile trip, & further up country just adds mileage, for example a round trip last Sunday to the rally & including mileage while recovering broken cars was 247.9 miles,  for the round trip to north east Wiltshire is approx 480 mlies, it soon racks up the total, to & from work every day is a near 28mile round trip. so just a week to/from work is 140 miles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, western said:

That's correct mileage, I live in the deepest south west so just getting to the M5 southern end is almost a 100 mile trip, & further up country just adds mileage, for example a round trip last Sunday to the rally & including mileage while recovering broken cars was 247.9 miles,  for the round trip to north east Wiltshire is approx 480 mlies, it soon racks up the total, to & from work every day is a near 28mile round trip. so just a week to/from work is 140 miles.

I'm in the middle-ish of the country and easily rack up ~15k miles a year without trying. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, western said:

its quite good noise wise, I can have a CD or radio one without any problems.

Do you have an overdrive fitted to make cruising a bit more relaxed? 

Not at the moment, OD is in bits & part of it [valve/piston section] is with Vulcan Bomber for rework of the bores & new pistons, once we have sorted suitable seals for the pistons one of the 2 OD I have can be rebuilt & refitted. 

13 hours ago, monkie said:

Do you have an overdrive fitted to make cruising a bit more relaxed? 

You forgot the epic attempts at rebuilds and clutch replacements to stop the slipping clutch, which meandered off into a modified large capacity aluminium sump that needed mods to fit around some other components!  Ralph must have done more miles climbing up and down the walls and pacing the workshop in frustration than he’s driven!

• Haha 1

Yep, that episode is on here somewhere, VB & myself think one of the pistons was sticking as we found a bit of damage in the bore, so hopefully when we can get together & rebuild/refit the OD it should be working properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

You forgot the epic attempts at rebuilds and clutch replacements to stop the slipping clutch, which meandered off into a modified large capacity aluminium sump that needed mods to fit around some other components!  Ralph must have done more miles climbing up and down the walls and pacing the workshop in frustration than he’s driven!

I do remember, but I wasn't sure if it was still in pieces or rebuilt and back in service. It was comment about being able to listen to music whilst driving that made me ask

3 hours ago, monkie said:

I do remember, but I wasn't sure if it was still in pieces or rebuilt and back in service. It was comment about being able to listen to music whilst driving that made me ask

A lot of that is just the speed. Even with the buzz from my tyres I could have a conversation in the 90 at 60mph. 

Finely enough, my 109 seems fine at 60, but uncomfortable at 70, despite the final gearing difference being significantly different (200Tdi, standard-ish series boxes and diffs with overdrive, 4.1 diffs will make the final ratio about the same as a Defender).  It must be a combination of road and aerodynamic noise, even though it sounds more like engine and transmission noise, if the comfortable speed limit is comparable.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Finely enough, my 109 seems fine at 60, but uncomfortable at 70, despite the final gearing difference being significantly different (200Tdi, standard-ish series boxes and diffs with overdrive, 4.1 diffs will make the final ratio about the same as a Defender).  It must be a combination of road and aerodynamic noise, even though it sounds more like engine and transmission noise, if the comfortable speed limit is comparable.

I think you are right about it being a combination of aerodynamic and road noise. At speeds upto 60 mph my 110 feels rugged and happy to sit at the speed all day. At 70mph it starts to feel a bit flimsey like something is going to fall off (all in my head I'm sure) and not happy as if I'm forcing it to do something it really doesn't want to do. My EGT guage starts to climb from 500 to 750+ as well on the 19J which I think isn't sustainable if I want the engine to last the trip home. I think this is what went wrong in 2019 when I blew a turbo and melted the (cheap) pistons. To be fair it did make it home in that state.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, western said:

Still in pieces, need to get a update from Mr VB on progress.

Just waiting on getting a couple of hours to myself to turn up the new pistons. Had an awful lot going on at home that I won't publish here. But i will get it done soon. I've had enough of tripping over it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vulcan bomber said:

Just waiting on getting a couple of hours to myself to turn up the new pistons. Had an awful lot going on at home that I won't publish here. But i will get it done soon. I've had enough of tripping over it!

:i-m_so_happy:Hiya, cheers for the update, hope all is OK, yeah I'll remove it once its ready to be reassembled & refitted, I do miss using it. 

@western Did you do anything with the oil pump on your rebuild? I see Turners sell a rebuild kit. I'm getting @ianmayco68 200tdi engine at the weekend and I'm revisiting this epic rebuild thread as I will be using the opportunity of the engine being out of the vehicle to take the head and ladder frame off to inspect internal parts before I fit it into my 110.