My 24 year old 200tdi rebuild

Mine gives the same figures as Mav, even just after rebuilding with new crank bearings (no regrind, but the crank looked like new).  I didn't replace the cam bearings and I did reuse the oil piston oil jets, so the loss may be in one of those areas.  It burns oil too, despite a rebore and new pistons, two head rebuilds and two replacement turbos.  I wish I had your success, Ralph!

I used the old bolts, so that may be responsible for the lower pressure.  I was told by several sources that the cam shells seldom wear, and that they are unlikely to be an issue unless they have slipped.  I put the ring gaps at 120 degree intervals so all were evenly spaced.  I was fairly gentle with the running in and started with vegoil after 1000 miles, and that did coke the pistons a bit, so I wonder if it's glazing that is responsible for the oil burn - it's worst on over-run and idle, and minimal when working hard.

Anyway, that's a great job on yours.  You should be very pleased with the result.  I guess starting is really easy in the cold weather, too.

It's starting very well, I had to replace one of my batteries early this week, it wasn't holding a charge even after being on charge all day/night last saturday, had it tested & was advised it was dead & required replacement, so 2 good & healthy 900amp batteries on board, 1 for vehicle/starting & other for the winch.

doubt your ring gaps have moved then, mine were spaced similary. reckon I'll be doing the 1,000 mile oil & filter change this coming week. 

Obtained some semi synth 10w40 engine oil & a good quaility oil filter, so tomorrow after work will see the mineral oil & filter dropped after just over 1000 miles, the new stuff is going in for the next 6,000 miles, engine is running very well & feels much smoother to drive & quieter. 

Oil & filter change done this afternoon, nice new semi synthetic oil as above, 

mileage since first start up post rebuild is 1423 & 53.3 hours running, sounds sweet & runs smoothly, all ready for the next 6,000 miles of motoring, long drive tomorrow up country for Xmas/new year.

Long drive over, all went fine, new semi-synth 10W/40 oil, oil pressure at a constant 48 psi & coolant temp max at 88 degrees but dropped back to 80/85 when not pushing hard, oil temp got to 110 degrees when climbing hills, sounds quiet even at 65/70 mph. I'm well happy with the rebuild.

• Like 1

I'm going to print this one and read a few times.

On the to do list is swopping a 300 Tdi as it is not just smoking - it is tryinf to cause a black out in the Allier....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Love this thread, thank you so much for the information.

I am doing a head job on my 200tdi now...not nearly the full rebuild you have done!

I have a question about the headgasket:

1. What was the original headgasket that was installed on your truck (when you removed the head)? Was it an MLS headgasket?
2. Is there any particular reason you went with the composite headgasket on your rebuild as opposed to the MLS?
3. Do you have any idea about how many miles the composite type headgasket will last (in miles)? Do you think it will be as durable as the original headgasket that was in your truck?

As you may surmise, I'm trying to decide between using the MLS headgasket (Reinz) or the Composite type (Elring)

• Like 1

The previous head gasket was the normal composite type NOT the laminated steel thing, I had one of those sometime ago & it allowed coolant & oil to mix, so threw it away & fitted the normal type, 

engine original factory built with the composite type, so I have no worries about it not lasting for years, IMHO the MLS type is total rubbish. 

the currently installed gasket is a Elring :i-m_so_happy:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

3rd oil & filter change done this evening, nothing on the magnetic sump plug, more Fuchs SynMC 10W/40 & Mahle OC261 filter installed, good for another 6000 miles now. [next change at 495719]

so total so far since rebuild is 266 hours & 7842 miles. :D:i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...