2 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Just be careful of the starter motor - I'll take a piccy if I can get to it of the A340 bell housing to see if it's got a recess for the gear to spin out an engage.

Or I could look through my notes to see which wires are the ones to spin it over. From memory it's one of the large black ones down the passenger side of the engine is the main feed. One of the earth's is on the drivers side and a second one I think on the passenger side engine mount.

Can't remember which one is the solenoid wire though.

Stupid bloody place to put a starter motor in my opinion,  inlet manifold to remove to change it...

20230730_172917.thumb.jpg.8807806dfa9516c3a1dc59b3fbeea067.jpg

regards Stephen 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Also ring gear is held on with just a few tacks on one side so that will be easily removed to fit onto modified tdi flywheel

That is what the Synchro adapter does - a stepped Tdi flywheel in effect, then you get a donor flex plate, cut the tack welds, heat up the ring gear and then drop it over the top. Didn't take very much heat to achieve it.

Stupid bloody place to put a starter motor in my opinion,  inlet manifold to remove to change it...

20230730_172917.thumb.jpg.8807806dfa9516c3a1dc59b3fbeea067.jpg

regards Stephen 

Time to remove the EGR system as well - here's the notes I made from Kelvin's video on it, the EGR is opposite side of the engine to the air intake. The EGR pipes at the back of the engine I simply made a plate out of 5mm steel to cap the holes through the existing bolts.

image.thumb.png.23430b0a967cf1ddfeefbec8ab74a0e4.png

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

That is what the Synchro adapter does - a stepped Tdi flywheel in effect, then you get a donor flex plate, cut the tack welds, heat up the ring gear and then drop it over the top. Didn't take very much heat to achieve it.

On the tdi, flywheel hole centres are the same as 1uz, but the 1uz bolts are a smaller diameter, do you make some custom bolts or do you drill out the crank locating holes and re-tap to the landrover flywheel locating bolt size ?

Regards Stephen

On the tdi, flywheel hole centres are the same as 1uz, but the 1uz bolts are a smaller diameter, do you make some custom bolts or do you drill out the crank locating holes and re-tap to the landrover flywheel locating bolt size ?

Regards Stephen

I've got the adapter from Synchro Gearboxes so it's drilled to the 1UZ sizes.

Is it worth welding up the Tdi flywheel and redrilling, basically line bore it? I'd be wary of "DIY" bolts given they're 10.9s I think as standard on the 1UZ. Also means for a bit of faff now you keep a standard bolt rather than having to make more when you need to replace one.

Is there enough difference to put a sleeve on the 1UZ bolts to fit the Tdi holes? 

Is there a dowel or could you add one or two? 

Another question at the other end , how splash/waterproof is the cambelt cover? 

Steve 

4 minutes ago, steve b said:

Is there enough difference to put a sleeve on the 1UZ bolts to fit the Tdi holes? 

Steve 

I was going to say this. Should be a bit more forgiving as it’ll be a flywheel on there, not a flex plate

4 minutes ago, steve b said:

Steve 

Was already thinking along the sleeve lines, however I'm going to ask @jad how he fitted his tdi modified flywheel into the 1uz crank,

Waterproofing may have to take place, probably going to have to change timing belt as engine has been stood for a while, as of writing I don't t know if engine is the interference or non interference with regards to timing belt failure

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Regards Stephen

Can you not redrill the flywheel to the smaller hole size? Just offset a touch.. 

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

This might be the most accurate piece of information ever posted on this forum.

Old autos, maybe.

Not so with modern stuff.... (IE anything controlled with a 'puter)

The no1 selling vehicles here for years are dual cab utes.

Most are autos!

36 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Not enough meat for that in my opinion especially with all the extra gg's going through it

20230730_212312.thumb.jpg.c46379c5e58b0b928bd8655082c473bc.jpg

Regards Stephen 

Cue Stephen making his own solid steel flywheel.... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That suggestion has merit...

Regards Stephen

How thick is a Tdi flywheel? You've probably got a piece of scrap but I could wrangle a CNC plasma cut piece out of up to 40mm for you for just the cost of the steel.

2 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

How thick is a Tdi flywheel? You've probably got a piece of scrap but I could wrangle a CNC plasma cut piece out of up to 40mm for you for just the cost of the steel.

Steel is not a problem, thank you, however it would need to be harder than mild steel, making my own will probably be a last resort will see how I get on with the tdi one first

regards Stephen