Been there, done that, I now keep a few very strong magnets from old hard drives in the workshop so I can go fishing immediately if anything goes in there - so far 100% success rate but I don't want to curse it! :ph34r:

Setting up for measurements 

20240729_190150.thumb.jpg.f351c696cfd3d6cb939a362fa20357f5.jpg

20240729_190336.thumb.jpg.917380696b6bad1670654715c817502e.jpg

Swing away section is bent out slightly here to allow for door hinge clearance

20240729_190217.thumb.jpg.97097533fb0ce71c8cb5d2d1ff1990db.jpg

20240729_190232.thumb.jpg.f449a905fb147e151f113ccf8f478fff.jpg

Swing away will locate here

20240729_190632.thumb.jpg.afd202e190a303517f0982e7137fd059.jpg

regards Stephen 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I think the third time that happened to me I was wearing goggle and face shield... Sneaky little blighters. 

That first picture..   It said pratt and whitney😁😁   A radial engine?  With a three bladed prop ofcourse😋

51 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Starting to think spiders Web looks carp, it will probably go the distance 

Honest thoughts

Regards Stephen 

Think it looks good, my worry would be its structural integrity to what is a fairly heavy wheel bouncing off it when mud plugging. BUT there is a difference between looking flimsy and being flimsy and I suspect it to be the former rather than the latter. 

I like it though, especially if painted in red. Definitely don't bin it whatever you do! 

Edited by Stinkfloyd
  • Thanks 1

High tube version with a suitably sized cockroach welded to it :)

The tyres and wheels look like they are going to work really well. 

Have you got a test run in mind yet or will you wait for the V8 to go in ?

Steve

• Thanks 1

I doubt it'd need it but a tube with a spinney thing to hold the wheel in place that clamps front and rear of the carrier together will make that quite a bit stronger?

I agree I prefer the tubed version a lot more.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I doubt it'd need it but a tube with a spinney thing to hold the wheel in place that clamps front and rear of the carrier together will make that quite a bit stronger?

I've already got something in mind.....but I like the way your trying to think before me.........lol

Regards Stephen

Maybe put the tube on larger diameter tubes around the front one making the rear one able to fold down to get the tire on/of?

...maybe that was the idea all along..? 🤔🙂

/mads

12 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Honest thoughts

Regards Stephen 

My honest thought of your spare wheel location in the position where it is now, is that you cannot see a thing when reversing. how about laying it flat in the bed? Or have a smaller wheel as an emergency spare? Sorry not trying to completely derail your plan.

27 minutes ago, Daan said:

My honest thought of your spare wheel location in the position where it is now, is that you cannot see a thing when reversing. how about laying it flat in the bed? Or have a smaller wheel as an emergency spare? Sorry not trying to completely derail your plan.

I totally get what your saying the problem is the wheel is so bloody big, I had considered making a shelf to slide it onto, but to make that easy it would have to be at cappings level, which would then make access to high lift, locker compressor, etc a pain

I tend not to use a rear view mirror and rely on wing mirrors for reversing, why ? Several years ago I was taking the dogs to the beach in my Fiat Doblo, my Patterdale terrier decided he could not wait for me to open the door so he jumped through the rear window, left me with a collection of shattered glass on the floor and a very proud of himself dog. I didn't replace the glass and opted for an aluminium panel which I made and fitted( little begger can't get through that ) so for several years I've managed without looking through the rear window

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1

Much more entertaining version than why I don't have a rear view in mine - it's simply pointless because the L322 seats in the rear block so much of the view. Even driving the Range Rover and normal cars I never intentionally use the interior rear view mirror anymore.

12 hours ago, steve b said:

Have you got a test run in mind yet or will you wait for the V8 to go in ?

Thinking about getting an mot with 200tdi fitted, at the moment just too many other things I need to do as well

Regards Stephen 

11 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I like the tube better than the spider web - never had you down as a goth :ph34r:

£15.99 gets you a rear view mirror that can see round corners and through any spare:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394821210209

s-l1600.webp

Not goth but Metal.....

I don't know if your being helpful or taking the proverbial p%%s..... considering my total fear of electrics..........lol

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

I thought the spider web looked cool but the tube verison is more traditional.

Are you going to provide some restraint to the carrier on the near side? Whilst it may all be strong enough , having all that weight supported from a single point is going to make it very lively and may even unsettle the vehicle when in compromising positions. A robust peg with an antiluce would make it quick and easly to release when required?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bishbosh said:

I thought the spider web looked cool but the tube verison is more traditional.

Are you going to provide some restraint to the carrier on the near side? Whilst it may all be strong enough , having all that weight supported from a single point is going to make it very lively and may even unsettle the vehicle when in compromising positions. A robust peg with an antiluce would make it quick and easly to release when required?

Just purchased some spring loaded locking bolts this morning

Regards Stephen

• Like 1