Just now, steve b said:

. You shouldn't need much pressure to operate that with the surface area . all very tidy indeed .

Steve 

Once I've sussed out where to run the air pipe I will connect it up to my ARB compressor, and try it out again, think that will do around a 100psi so should be more than enough regards Stephen 

26 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

What do you reckon the surface area of that cylinder is then?

I can't imagine that dog needing much force to get it to engage.

By my calcs and I'm carp at maths I make it around 2900mm/2, the spring on the dog is quite stiff as it needs to force the dog to disengage when switched off, when I bench tested it it would not work either way if alignment was out regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It's frc9568 however it's supersede by ftc5200. You do not want ftc5200 but many suppliers will send it instead. 

Mike

Cheers Mike

Had to find a supplier with pictures showing exactly what I wanted, a hell of a lot come up with the superseeded no regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

I have a rakeway HD release bearing that uses the bearing off the type you showed hence I know they just press off. I had a job finding one when I changed the gearbox recently. I had a crumble at a supplier that listed the correct number and picture but still sent the later version. Several suppliers have the early one pictured but the later part number.

Mike

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I have a rakeway HD release bearing that uses the bearing off the type you showed hence I know they just press off. I had a job finding one when I changed the gearbox recently. I had a crumble at a supplier that listed the correct number and picture but still sent the later version. Several suppliers have the early one pictured but the later part number.

Mike

Well it's ordered so we will see what arrives, hopefully will not have to grumble at the supplier regards Stephen

ISTR there's two very similar ones, FTC5200 and something else... one has a slightly deeper carrier than the other but for your purposes it shouldn't matter.

The cylinder is really cool - I think I must've missed where the return spring is hiding?

• Like 1

Not much done today , this air delivery conundrum was doing my head in so moved onto some other stuff not axle related

I've ordered some bits and pieces but perhaps one of you bright chaps may have a solution 

This is what we're working with 

20220112_113146.thumb.jpg.a64884075e29b7da5a7ebdbd795d6c6b.jpg

decided not to solder copper in but going down this route instead, caused me an issue because my original hole was too close to bore that halfshaft slides through so I redrilled and tapped out, was a pain to drill as welding had hardened it somewhat

20220113_103118.thumb.jpg.42e4bbb2be536394f4774a80e42c5687.jpg

air pipe is what is supplied by ARB when you get lockers

20220113_103321.thumb.jpg.7aab04f85a69c819ac334e613fde8071.jpg

so I need to go through axle cases as do not want to interfere with bushed and cast ends, pipe needs to stay tight to inner bore and then turn 90 degrees through casing all whilst keeping pipe from rubbing onto halfshaft and wearing through, I have a couple of things in my head but someone might have a better idea, or has done something similar in the past

thinking caps on chaps regards Stephen 

Edit, forgot to add it all needs to be removable in case seals fail on pneumatic cylinder

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Is there scope to connect to the cylinder from the side? That way you could go straight the axle case, copper washer for sealing and done?

It's certainly worth looking at, would need to be extremely accurate drilling and I would have to modify piston possibly( very slightly )to accept air from the side, could drill and tap piston body to 1/8 bsp and tighten a pipe in from the outside of axle case, food for thought thank you regards Stephen

• Like 1

I wondered if you could make an annular groove in the outside of the cylinder, with a couple of O rings either side to seal it. Then you just need to connect  through where the groove is. You'd have to plug the end where it is currently connected and drill from the annular groove into the feed. Or maybe I'm missing something, forgive me if so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

I wondered if you could make an annular groove in the outside of the cylinder, with a couple of O rings either side to seal it. Then you just need to connect  through where the groove is. You'd have to plug the end where it is currently connected and drill from the annular groove into the feed. Or maybe I'm missing something, forgive me if so.

Nothing to forgive good suggestion and I will file it away for future use thank you

So I've ran with @Bowie69' s suggestion

The bottom of my cylinder is 13mm thick so I've managed to drill through into this and the original hole so I just need to plug the inside thread now

20220113_171101.thumb.jpg.f8e6c6ec393a82b2849e22730806295f.jpg

20220113_174300.thumb.jpg.ef9d37ceab916be93e3e123c24d689fb.jpg

20220113_174428.thumb.jpg.ccbe103ff986e6c5b5380f938e66ba9b.jpg

not 100% accurate with the drilling but it mates with existing hole so gets the job done, will enlarge the two axle case holes and make a pin on the lathe that will screw into cylinder base and also outer axle tube, then run my flexi pipe from there to compressor, thanks for the suggestion Peter regards Stephen 

20220113_175404.thumb.jpg.be952fe760e3114ce6c7be4ae237a918.jpg