Overland caravan build

Today's plan was to get a coat on the roof and a second coat on the sides. However that went out the window, I woke to the pitter patter of rain. It's stopped now but due again later so I won't risk it.

The good/bad news about the rain is it's shown up two leaks first is the perspex to frame joint on one of the hatches (they were second hand and it's an easy fix). The second is slightly more involved as it's getting in through the joint between the original aluminium roller door frame and the box roof. All I can do with it is rake it out and re-seal, but I'll need to let it dry out first.

All of this means I've got an excuse the put a couple of dabs of filler in before the second coat.

Mike

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The only downside is someone walking past asked if I was building a burger van. :banned::hysterical:

you could get some investment back that way 😉  "burgers on tour"  and still have a holiday ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Put some stickers on it and you’d never get hassled for parking in a lay-by (until breakfast time) or just drive straight in to your favourite show and setup camp by the main ring FOC 

• Haha 2

Just now, steve b said:

Certainly fits with the burger trailer look ;)

It's looking very tidy Mike - you should do this glassing up and finishing for a living.......

Steve

The irony is I rarely do fibreglass at work anymore as we restore classic wooden powerboats. At home on the other hand.......

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Bit more done today. I stripped the perspex out of the hatch. Cleaned all the sealant off, masked it up and applied new sealant to the frame. I pushed the perspex into the new sealant till it squeezed up around the sides then flattened the excess and removed the tape.

IMG_20230617_172245.thumb.jpg.229851b72d2cde4e71c746689077e600.jpg

I'll clean off the squeeze out on the inside and refit the spring stay later.

Also got the front marker lights fitted.

IMG_20230617_172216.thumb.jpg.af59bad92eeec2cca15fc0c8d77f477d.jpg

Two up top on the front and one on each wheel arch, I've towed enough in the dark to know it's really helpful if you know where the wheel arches are. :ph34r:

IMG_20230617_172209.thumb.jpg.c21e35b70931c4f8d3b461c8784d87df.jpg

Mike

I love the colour on it aswell..   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Bit more laminating tonight.

IMG_20230710_181556.thumb.jpg.7f9b315946e6846244fbaef1667cb965.jpg

Also trimmed the hatch trims just need to fettle them to fit.

Mike

That are the wheel well's again?    Can you just take it on the road, or does it need to be looked atand tested? 

Yes they are the inner wheelarches. They will cover this bit.

IMG_20230514_155143.thumb.jpg.2650d2977967ef26760db627eec86137.jpg

With some insulation in between. Because I've built off an existing trailer, over here it can just be used. However the rest of Europe is more difficult, British caravans don't need to be registered but commercial now do to travel in Europe. For now it'll get used but I will look into registering it to make things easier later.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yes they are the inner wheelarches. They will cover this bit.

IMG_20230514_155143.thumb.jpg.2650d2977967ef26760db627eec86137.jpg

With some insulation in between. Because I've built off an existing trailer, over here it can just be used. However the rest of Europe is more difficult, British caravans don't need to be registered but commercial now do to travel in Europe. For now it'll get used but I will look into registering it to make things easier later.

Mike

Good to learn these thing's .   Here , everything under 750 kg gross weight is without papers.  Everything above that has it's own regristation.  

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

Good to learn these thing's .   Here , everything under 750 kg gross weight is without papers.  Everything above that has it's own regristation.  

Yes I'm aware of that, may of been pulled by the police for exactly this he wasn't happy with it doesn't have or need a registration in the UK and told us to leave the country (we were anyway). I'm not sure how UK caravans get on abroad.

Mike

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Yes I'm aware of that, may of been pulled by the police for exactly this he wasn't happy with it doesn't have or need a registration in the UK and told us to leave the country (we were anyway). I'm not sure how UK caravans get on abroad.

Mike

Parent's haven't had any issues in their 6/7 trips to France over the years.