Defender 130 - Brakes well but pedal slowly sinks to the floor

Hi,

I've recently been driving a new (2010) 130 which is lovely compared to my rattly One Ten but the brakes are odd and I'm looking for advice.

The servo works fine and it brakes really well with a firm pedal (not as firm as mine but I have just replaced the brake system very recently except servo and pump) but if you brake to a stop and keep your foot pressing on the pedal, it slowly drops all the way to the floor. It is slow and not a sudden drop but it does sink all the way.

Both their same aged vehicles do exactly the same. Their garage have checked it over, checked for leaks, checked brake fluid and checked the master cylinder for leaks (not sure how they did that) and then asked one of their "Ford time serviced mechanics" who said that its a transit engine and components, and that transits do exactly the same and release brake pressure after stopping and "they all do that".

As anyone who has seen my previous posts on this forum knows, I'm no expert but this doesn't make sense to me.

I've had two Disco 3's a few years ago that both used to do the same, never really took much notice of it until one had the brake servo recall, then I became a bit more aware of it, probably because of the potential brake fade issue the recall addressed.

My 2004 90 does it too, albeit a little more slowly, I can only assume there must be a little bit of by-pass leakage in the master cylinder, or something similar going on with the ABS module.

I've got to keep a fair amount of pressure on the pedal for it to occur, probably quite a bit more than I'd use to apply the brakes normally.

20 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Oh ABS...  Sorry never think of that with a Defender.  Hopefully not, as that is not cheap.

And, no, that should not happen.

I didn’t even know ABS was such a thing on Defenders until recently when I was watching a video on replacing the swivel bearings and it was mentioned. 

Never known any braking system to do this and be "OK"

Normally the recouperating seal in the master cylinder not sealing properly.

It closes off the feed from the reservoir when braking, but if failing, will allow some pressure (and fluid) to leak back into the reservoir. 

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

Never known any braking system to do this and be "OK"

Normally the recouperating seal in the master cylinder not sealing properly.

It closes off the feed from the reservoir when braking, but if failing, will allow some pressure (and fluid) to leak back into the reservoir. 

Agreed, I don’t buy it that a hydraulic brake system is designed to ‘relieve’ pressure in this way. It defeats the principle upon which the system is designed.

Something’s not quite right with this. I’d investigate further.