Cost to galv a chassis

Mean Green

I paid £180 I think plus vat to dip a D2 chassis, fuel tank cradle, rear step, x member, brake pipe brackets, arb brackets and possibly some other small items that attach to the chassis.

that was about five years ago maybe not 100% they made me drill lots of extra holes in the corners if you can I would take a cordless drill and bits with you.

Talk to the plant about the cost & drill a load of 12 mm holes to let the air out.

If they've done chassis befoe, they can give you an idea.

Here in France I was qouted about €460 for an VHD 110 chassis as long as I drilled all the holes...

Them drilling holes cost a lot...

If you know a local steel fabricator, might be worth seeing if they can get you a better rate by piggybacking one of their jobs... 

As people have said above, generally priced by weight, but they may have a minimum charge, or some other set up costs which would be lost in a larger job. 

Did you try Scottish Galvanisers in Glasgow ? (part of the Wedge Group )It sounds pretty high although it is around £1/kg of zinc deposited and there is an environmental levy now too . If that is the best price it might be worth finding a Fab. company to go through as said above  

cheers

Steve b

Cheers Simon ... That was my thoughts! It was Highland Galvanisers in Cumbernauld.

In fairness it was only an email and I have not spoken to anyone about it. All they said was it was strip the existing paint and galvanise.

Hopefully Scottish Galvanisers will get back to me soon and be a bit more realistic.

42 minutes ago, Mean Green said:

Cheers Simon ... That was my thoughts! It was Highland Galvanisers in Cumbernauld.

In fairness it was only an email and I have not spoken to anyone about it. All they said was it was strip the existing paint and galvanise.

Hopefully Scottish Galvanisers will get back to me soon and be a bit more realistic.

Greg

The £895 is probably well on the way to the cost of a new Galvie chassis. I think with mine SG charged extra for the shot blasting. I didn't need any extra holes but what I did do was screw bolts into the threaded holes so that after the process I heated up the bolts with a blow torch to make the zinc soft before I undid the bolts. After that everything was easy.

Mine is still going strong after 6 years and I am about to put in a second engine after 6 months as I blew the turbo taking out the engine in the process. The car isn't worth it value wise but I know it is very strong. 

I take it this is a project?

Stripping the existing paint could be adding a lot if it means taking up their sandblasting rig for a morning, or occupying the apprentice with an angle grinder for a day... well worth getting on the phone to them to discuss it and see where the costs crop up.

10 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Greg

The £895 is probably well on the way to the cost of a new Galvie chassis. I think with mine SG charged extra for the shot blasting. I didn't need any extra holes but what I did do was screw bolts into the threaded holes so that after the process I heated up the bolts with a blow torch to make the zinc soft before I undid the bolts. After that everything was easy.

Mine is still going strong after 6 years and I am about to put in a second engine after 6 months as I blew the turbo taking out the engine in the process. The car isn't worth it value wise but I know it is very strong. 

I take it this is a project?

£895 is a good way towards a new chassis

chassis snip.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon

No they didn't get back to me. But the plan has changed. It was supposed to be a Quick fix to get it back on the road and I could use it until such time as I could do a rebuild on the Defender. But is going to need more time than I can afford at the mo- would rather spend time and cash on the 90. So I think I am just going to sell it on - did have someone interested but they have gone quiet. Really is a shame as it is in really good condition and runs sweet as a nut.