Is it possible to make your own series 3 exhaust

neilc

I've recently purchased a mig welder , I have a bit of welding experience , is it possible to build a completed exhaust system from pipe ? I'm assuming I would need to buy a down pipe , cut the pipe off at the other end , weld 1 complete piece to the rear and weld a turn / joint on the back box , is it worth it , I can get a Britpart exhaust for £50 but that won't last long , is this a realistic idea or is it not worth the bother , idealistically I'd like a stainless steel one but I'm a poor public sector worker.

I've made several with a mig welder and stainless tubes, bends, clamps and suchlike from here:

https://exhaustpartsuk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88

Get yourself some stainless mig wire too. It'll want more power than mild, and you'll need to travel faster to avoid blowing holes, but it's quite possible to get some really nice beads on butt welds with a bit of practice.

I made part of one for an 80in - and having done it decided it was a job best avoided.

I started with some S3 pipes - to provide the curves.  The problem is not only getting the curves in the right place but holding the pipe at the exact angle while its welded, without crushing the pipe.

That pipe had a 4 hole flange to the manifold - which I found was tricky to align.  I eventually tacked that up with the pipe on the vehicle.

People other than Britpart make exhausts.  I use Bearmach which has always fitted nicely - and is sometimes cheaper than Britpart.  Which lasts longer?  Dunno.  I'm beginning to wonder if the Solex carb on earlier S2/2A's burns exhausts more rapidly that the Zenith and possibly the Weber.

• 4 weeks later...

It is perfectly possible to make your own exhaust if you have the time and skills. I made my own (see my build thread link in my signature). I did this myself, because the design of my car and routing of the exhaust is completely different from anything standard.

But if your car is standard, there is little point, as there is so much out there already in stainless, pretty much exactly what you want. Or you can at least base your exhaust on a standard version.

This thread is running in the series forum about exactly this:

Daan

i made my own exhaust for my Ls powered Jeep using off the shelf bends / v bands / silencers, one bank was dead easy as it consited of a couple of 45 deg bends & a silencer, the other was a little more awkward due to having to route round the centre bearing for the front prop,
overall no the hardest job n the world, just takes time to make it look nice