Modify a Range Rover P38 to use a LT230 transfer case

Well anything can be made to fit I suppose but the P38 is 'special' in the Land Rover stable in that the diffs and propsĀ  are offset on the opposite side to all its contempories. It is something that comes up as a topic occasionally but no-one to my knowledge has yet either fitted the LT230 upside down or reconfigured the entire undercarriage to pass the props down the other side. If you do embark on it please take lots of pics for us, there will be a lot of interest.:o

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:36 AM, Arthur AU said:

I am looking to modify my P38 Range Rover P30 4.6 V8 HSE 2000 to use the LT230 transfer case.

Question:- Will the Disco 2 front and rear axle assemblies fit on the P38 chassis?

Rear axle is the same as D2, you will only need front.

Ā 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, elbekko said:

There's quite a lot in the way to run the props on the other side. I still think it's easiest to drive it through the PTO. Flipping it could also work, but oiling needs to be looked at then.

What is in the way?

Well, its like a space or 'tunnel' is formed around the props with the disposition of the other items such as the fuel tank and exhaust for example (at the rear), to move the prop location to the other side means re-engineering the installation of those items; as they are shaped and biased to suit the side they were manufactured for it possibly means bespoke items being made for both of themĀ as a start. I have the classic stuck on the ramp with at present otherwise I would take a pic toĀ illustrate the problem. Could also be that the floor pan itself is pressed with an offset, I have never looked , but it isn't the 'meccano' set that a defender is so there is noĀ seat box etc. behind the tunnel if any thing else had to be altered. I am guessing that moving one thing would lead to at least ten others to be sorted in consequence

7 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Well, its like a space or 'tunnel' is formed around the props with the disposition of the other items such as the fuel tank and exhaust for example (at the rear), to move the prop location to the other side means re-engineering the installation of those items; as they are shaped and biased to suit the side they were manufactured for it possibly means bespoke items being made for both of themĀ as a start. I have the classic stuck on the ramp with at present otherwise I would take a pic toĀ illustrate the problem. Could also be that the floor pan itself is pressed with an offset, I have never looked , but it isn't the 'meccano' set that a defender is so there is noĀ seat box etc. behind the tunnel if any thing else had to be altered. I am guessing that moving one thing would lead to at least ten others to be sorted in consequence

Rear exhaust and fuel tank will be untouched as only the front diff is other handed, rear remains as is.

OP may need to adjust front section of exhaust if it's a V8 and obviously the entire axle needs swapping out with a Disco2 one, and the front propshaft (I think) as the P38 may be different due to transfer case size and geometry.

Ā 

11 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

Rear exhaust and fuel tank will be untouched as only the front diff is other handed, rear remains as is.

Where are you getting this? Both diffs drop to the same side, if you fit an LT230, which has both outputs offset, you'll need to change both axles.

Blanco is completely correct, at least the fuel tank and exhaust, probably EAS tank, and I'm wondering if the whole driveline isn't offset a little so you'll run into clearance issues with the sump etc. It's not as easy as it sounds.

• Like 1

Indeed, both propshafts are off center, to the left side on the P38 and to the right on most other LRs, including those with an LT230 like the Disco2.

On the P38 the engine isn't centered either, it sits slightly to the right in the chassis. Shouldn't affect the prop, but it does mean less clearance between the diff and sump should you fit a Disco2 axle.

If fitting an LT230 was as easy as on a Classic, we would have done it a long time ago!

Filip

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

Where are you getting this? Both diffs drop to the same side, if you fit an LT230, which has both outputs offset, you'll need to change both axles.

I was getting it from someone trying to flog me a diff, but a visit with the Mk1 eyeball tells me I am misled. My sincerest apologies.

• 4 years later...

Lest just assume for a minute that one wouldn't need to move any of the miscellaneous. Just focus on the axles and TC. I have access to both front and rear axles from a 2005 defender 110. Will the axles be a direct fit? (given the previous owner of my p38 removed EAS completely)Ā 

And if so. Will I be able to fit p38 axle internals into the defender axle cases?Ā 

33 minutes ago, nico3dd said:

Will the axles be a direct fit?

No.

Ā 

33 minutes ago, nico3dd said:

Will I be able to fit p38 axle internals into the defender axle cases?Ā 

No, especially not the 110 rear (Salisbury) axle.

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

2005 would be the rover/Wolf type rear. Which ironically shares the diff pattern with the P38 if I remember correctly.Ā 

Ah I forgot they downgraded :ph34r: although I'm pretty sure the P38 has different axle casing / spring mounts etc...?

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Ah I forgot they downgraded :ph34r: although I'm pretty sure the P38 has different axle casing / spring mounts etc...?

Absolutely, the P38 has rear radius arms, unit bearings, ... Far from a bolt in.

The LT230 driven from the PTO is still mulling around in my mind, just haven't started with any sort of execution of the plan.

A secondary issue is how to do the range & difflock shifting. The P38 centre console doesn't really have room for another shifter, maybe repurposing the current high/low motor and using a separate button for diff lock could work, but would need some more adaptation.

16 hours ago, elbekko said:

The LT230 driven from the PTO is still mulling around in my mind, just haven't started with any sort of execution of the plan.

Sounds very possible for the input to be swapped to that side, the input gear won't care which side the shaft is coming in from.

Yeah, precisely. Just needs an adapter housing and potentially some sort of shaft extension.

There are LT230s and gearboxes sitting at the workshop, should grab the 3D scanner and see what might be needed.

26 minutes ago, elbekko said:

There are LT230s and gearboxes sitting at the workshop, should grab the 3D scanner and see what might be needed.

I have a lump of aluminium and a mill here... although no talent :lol: but the DRO makes up for it a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I have a lump of aluminium and a mill here... although no talent :lol: but the DRO makes up for it a bit.

I'll keep it in mind :D My girlfriend's brother is a machinist and tooling tester at Sandvik, could probably ask him for some machining help as well. I vaguely inquired about it before, and apparently it doesn't really matter how exactly the tools get tested, and what part comes out at the end :ph34r:
He's just even further away than you are :D

• Haha 1