Defender 110, a Bedford cf and a utility truck walk into a bar...

26 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Found ourselves in Western-Super-Mare at the Pageant of Transport with a local car group so I took the opportunity to get some pictures.

The bed is shown in situ whilst the roof is up. The cushions ( still using the curtains! ) are used as the bed base

AB086988-D2C2-43C1-9E40-DE23F67E76F7.thumb.jpeg.3418c34d71150213e01c5d2b069b25e9.jpeg

FB5D759B-7041-495B-8277-FCEB2268137A.thumb.jpeg.2b0127743cd5fe2a40b2b72c7ac0ce6f.jpeg

B17CC52F-BC7D-4F9F-BA9E-F33C50EB8045.jpeg

Business opportunities ahead if you ask me, people would pay for that standard of finish, outstanding

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

Cheers chaps, that’s very kind of you to say so 😁

I have given it some thought to doing it for others professionally as I have my own workshop and if I’m honest, other than the CNC stuff it’s all pretty straightforward.

Being in the construction trade and a carpenter I know that when I’m left to do my own thing I come up with some good ideas.
 This was one of mine when I was told to build a cocktail/tea room for someone  

The thing is though, I enjoy doing one off ideas but I don’t know if I could build these all the time…I don’t think there’s enough variation to keep me occupied.

Never say never though! 

No pics for this update but i did fit the X eng adjustable roll bar in the For Sale section ( thanks to @western & @Snagger ) before going away over the weekend, i replaced one of the TRE's as it was rusted on, but left everything else as is. It was a busy few days before hand.

First impression is i'm not entirely sure if the locking hub is supposed to have travel or not?  

When it's locked i can still move the end of the arm approximately 25mm back n forth.

When driving along, the Landy still has it's slight wallow but when i turn into a corner it does make a difference and you can feel a stiffness that wasn't there before.

Nikki manages to stay in her seat, which given the length of our relationship, is a good thing as i get nervous these days when she wants a hug when we're driving :ph34r:

Given the movement in the hub, the rubber's in the arms and it still has a standard ARB up front, i don't think i will remove the gentle wallow from daily driving and movements, but certainly an improvement on the rear in the corners/roundabouts.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Have you tried locking it with it disconnected from the axle? I wonder if it’s the moment it needs to align the locking parts? For locking it at ride height it might need to be rotated one bolt hole on the mount? Or spline for that matter. 

That's how i knew the movement was there as i could rock it before i fitted it.   Having never had FWH's on a vehicle i didn't know if they had that play in them...but if they do it would surely knacker them over time when you take up slack on acceleration or deceleration?

I also think i maybe at a disadvantage as the entire unit was pre built...i might take a look at how you build a new one from the kit and if there is anything i need to look at like you say, move it around

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Sounds like a bit of wear on some splines.  If it’s the shaft, then you could replace that with a good used or cheap new replacement - as I understand it, they are a standard half shaft.

Actually, it might be more likely to be the drive flange worn the other end to the FWH. Knowing what they're like for wearing in their normal use.

I need to strip it out as the movement is only on the arm connected to the FWH. 

The other end is solid…a little too solid in fact given the rust on it.

Were away on the 7th for a month travelling so I’d like to get it sorted before then, as well as the squealing coming from somewhere on accelerating after 2000 rpm.

There should be some slack in it, but 25mm sounds a lot to me.

By disconnecting the ball joint at the FWH end, you should be able to rotate it gently to see whether the play is in the half-shaft spline or the FWH.

Si

• Like 2

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That won’t remove the slack going from one direction to the other though? 

As soon I wrote it, I had a moment of clarification and realised It wasn’t right :P

I haven’t stripped it further down just yet, if I get time tomorrow before we head off on Sunday I’ll post up on here 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alternator replacement done due to bypassing of the injectors once again :rolleyes:

I fitted a capture can ( Provent ) and had it bolted to the old A/C compressor mount.  This did the job of catching any oil vapour from the rocker cover which is designed ( in the puma engine ) to be vented straight back into the intake of the intercooler and then cycled back into the air intake of the engine and burnt off...

As i pointed out in the first engine strip down, this makes a god awful mess of the intercooler and intake due to the injector seals eventually going and you having no idea that the pressure is building up in the rocker cover.

The Provent is good idea as it has filter inside which you can check periodically for oil build up and keeps the intercooler nice n clean.

I didn't check it before the trip -_-

One ( or possibly 2? ) of the injector seals has once again failed ( these are genuine replacements ) and so the Provent was doing it's job by keeping the increased oil vapour within, but here's the bit that i didn't realise and which ultimately caused a failure in the alternator.

At the base of the Provent is an outlet which allows you to drain off any excess oil and is normally closed with a plastic bung.

The bung had taken a holiday at some point and so any excess oil that was building up within the Provent was instead of sitting in the bottom , dripping onto the alternator ( the Provent is directly above it )

I did say i thought the issue could be with the turbo as the feed for this is the only area that oil from the engine could be anywhere near the alternator combined with a whining at 2-3k revs, but this wasn't the case.

Siting of the Provent in its location caused the excess oil build up from a injector seal failure to drip onto the alternator to the point it gave up the ghost and wasn't happy with the new lubrication.

What i've learnt is this;

The Provent does the job under normal conditions, but when faced with excess oil from the rocker cover due to a leaking injector seal, it'll begin to fill up.  This is fine as long as the bung is in place and i check it periodically to empty any excess oil.

Lesson learnt :D

• Like 1